Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked your opinions before and I have almost made up my mind on my next car.

Now, I love my Subaru Legacy L, with it's AWD, four wheels discs w/ABS, alloys wheel and CD changer, but, it's not a 2.5 or a turbo and the AWD takes ALL the oomph out of the measly 140Hp flat four.

I love four door mid-size sedans, I have been pondering Toyota Camrys of course, but I have had two already and they were both lemons. I have been thinking about Honda Accords, I still have one and they have more pep than the Subaru and more than the Camrys I used to own, even with less torque :)

I am going to KC tomorrow to look at some 1996 era Acura 2.5TL sedans. With 170Hp, Leather, Power everything, sunroof, wood tirm, alloys, in dash CD, I love em! I know, why don't I just look at older ES300s? They are way too expensive, or I would look at those.

Who here would give up a near mint 97 Subaru Legacy for a luxury midsize import in good to great condition?

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
I'd stick to the Legacy, personally, unless that TL was a 3.2. The 1996, first-generation TLs did come with the 3.2.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My friend has a daily driver 2.5TL, probably around that year... Nice car, rides really smoothly and it's decently quick... Enough to roast most of the morons with Civics and Accords that only have altezzas and a folgers can that is far from "the best part of waking up." (Someone kill me :p)

Anyway, I would definitely consider the car if you're lookin for a reliable and somewhat fun to drive daily... Can't say they have too much goin in aftermarket parts or anything like that... As far as I know, I could be wrong. Anyway, take a ride in a few of them, and see if you like it. If you like it and the price is right, what else matters? :)

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
diablo7877 said:
Can't say they have too much goin in aftermarket parts or anything like that...
Well, its inline five comes from the Vigor... I don't know of many aftermarket applications either.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, the first TL was sold. I looked at a few other car lots in the area, found a 240SX, but that needed motor mounts and burned oil, found an Accord, but was in poor condition. I haven't found anything yet that I would trade in a 97 Subaru for.

I'll update again when I go to look at the other TL I found on autotrader.

My plan is that if I don't find a car before we move (a few weeks), i'll just put some konig theorys on the Subaru and lay down some tint and drive it till next year. It's in great condition as I said before, but I do want something with a little more power.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
A 240SX or Accord, IMO, isn't something I'd trade a mint 97 Subaru for. But that's just me.

first-generation, 3.2TL or 2.5TL, sure, provided its in about the same kind of shape as the Legacy.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 240SX and the Accord was just a whim I was on. I would trade the Subaru for an Accord, only if it had low miles and in excellent condition and is newer than a 97, just because the Accords are peppier.

3.2TL? I wonder how much those run for older models, I was only checking out the 2.5's for the price.

Thanks everyone for the opinions and advise, keep em coming.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
Hmm, on a quick search (locally) on AutoTrader, the difference between the two isn't any more than a grand or two, and in some cases, depending on mileage (120-160,000km, that's 75-100k mi), the prices are about the same.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
VVT-i Owns said:
Get a Legacy GT, 5SPD 2.5L instead of your 2.2 :boink:
Don't I wish. First of all, if I could find one in my area, secondly, if I could even imagine to afford one. The TL's I have been looking at are around 5 grand and Edmunds says I can get 4 grand trade in with my car. I assume the GT version of the Legacy, even as old as my car, would at least be 12 grand, seeming that the same year Legacy Outbacks are going for 10 grand.

·
Registered
884 Posts
WTF? Subarus have low resale here, and Honda and Acura Prices are crazy...

but what year is your legacy? 1997?

So i looked and seems like the GT costs around 10K CND too.:(
What year range is the 2.5TL you're looking at?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Subaru Legacy L in it's great condition is only worth 4-5 grand and it's a 1997. I have seen 97 Legacy Outbacks for 10 grand and up. I have not seen a GT within 75 miles of my zip code that wasn't at least a 2002 and over 18 grand. If you guys could reccomend other sites beside Autotrader that searches by make and model and distance, it would be appreciated.

The TL's I have been looking at are 1996 body styles for around 5 grand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Give cars.com a try... Ummmm... I use bargainnews.com but that's like tri-state area only. Usedcars.com? I dunno good luck with the new car man, although your legacy is probably a nice car as it is. :thumbup:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, it's very nice, great condition, lots of options, new tires, timing belt and sepentine belt, cd changer, tons of grip, clean interior, freakin awesome brakes (4 wheels discs w/ABS), even the optional muffler tip that makes the 2 inch look like a 3 inch chrome, and it's barely at 100k miles, good paint too.

The thing is, no one thinks the car fits me, either do I for that matter. It's not my style, I like more sporty, peppier cars, even though the Legacy has more power than the Accords and Camrys that I have owned, the AWD sucks up all that power and makes it sluggish.

My fiancee and I have decided that if a TL or something along those lines doesn't fall in our lap soon, she's going to help me fix up the Legacy to something that fits me better.

I'll be checking out those car sites, thanks.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
VVT-i Owns said:
Ya, i don't think the Sube would be sluggish at all with a 5spd...
too bad you can't get one:( .
Definately not. It's the 2.5L in that Leg, is it? If so doesn't have like 165hp? The 2.5L 5-cylinder in the TL doesn't do that much better?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, even if it was a 2.5 liter, it still has to put that power through AWD, which will make it more sluggish than the TL. The 2.5 TLs have around 165-170 Hp.

Anyways, the Legacy I have is a L, which is a 2.2 liter 140hp boxer. It has good torque, but not great. I think Subaru started going with 2.5 engines in the upper trim levels or the newer Legacys.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just bought and drove home a 1997 Mitsubishi Galant ES with only 53,000 miles.

Pros:

Wood trim
Sporty style shifter
53,000 miles
New tires
2.4 liter 141 HP and 148 tq
Flawless body and interior
Loud and crisp stereo with deep bass
Best brakes I have ever had on a car
All windows except the front tinted already
Tight suspension
Light and very responsive steering