Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CAM-TY11 Back up cam interface is a 28 dollar part advertised to link the base model head unit to any 6v backup camera. Looking at build sheets, I see the XLE base and XLE premium both have the same audio HU, with the premium having a backup cam.

The assumption is that I can plug and play. Anyone do it already? 27 bucks is easy, but good cams are not cheap. I'll likely do it on my own if no one else has done this already.

·
Official PITA
'05 Solara 'Vert & '07 ES350
1,090 Posts
Just back from a Toyota dealer, they are installing aftermarket backup cams
that have a plug-n-play interface with stock video screen.
As for camera itself, that sensor should be very reasonable, I've seen aftermarket
kits that include a camera + screen + wiring --- at well under $100

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just added a backup cam this weekend using the following installation video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-5sjIXI9Oo

Bought the PAC CAM-TY11 reverse camera harness and universal camera off of ebay. Spent about $80 overall. Turned out great and looks OEM. Pretty easy install if you follow the video step by step. If anyone has any questions, send me a PM!

PS: since the PAC harness only provides 6V, I had to route my camera to the 12V source via the cigarette lighter in the front console.

Cheers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Any update if the CAM-TY11 works?
I'm also looking to add reverse camera.
Also, most cameras have 6m video cable but only 1.2m power cable.
That power able is too short to reach front head unit so need to add wires.
Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here's a write up I did on one. It does NOT plug into the factory harness in the trunk. I also had to add a pin to the radio harness so it would know it was in reverse and to turn on. I have not found a plug and play solution (as in plug into the harness in the trunk).

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3...94697-write-up-installing-back-up-camera.html

@87phantom did you not have to add a pin to the radio harness? I looked at that video and didn't notice they had to add anything. That would have been a nice step to skip.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've few more questions on the backup camera/adapter.
1. When the trunk piece is drilled, is there a risk of rust? If there is, how to protect it?
2. Does the adapter allow more than one video input or just limited to one backup camera input?

I'm planning on using wireless adapters so I don't have to run cables all the way.
Thank you

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've few more questions on the backup camera/adapter.
1. When the trunk piece is drilled, is there a risk of rust? If there is, how to protect it?
2. Does the adapter allow more than one video input or just limited to one backup camera input?

I'm planning on using wireless adapters so I don't have to run cables all the way.
Thank you
The piece you drill into is plastic. The kit only has one video input. You maybe able to wire in some sort of multi-port, not sure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The piece you drill into is plastic. The kit only has one video input. You maybe able to wire in some sort of multi-port, not sure.
Okay thank you.
Now deciding whether to go wireless or not.
Is it possible to route the video cable under the back seats, floor mat to the side of center console without taking the seats out?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts