Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 Taco doesn't have the trd package so it doesn't have the bed outlet in it. I'd like to add one if i could get the actual oem outlet setup/box for the bed. I've searched all the online dealer parts pages to buy but can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have a part number for the outlet?

·
TN Junkie
68 Posts
My 05 Taco doesn't have the trd package so it doesn't have the bed outlet in it. I'd like to add one if i could get the actual oem outlet setup/box for the bed. I've searched all the online dealer parts pages to buy but can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have a part number for the outlet?
No, but I wish I did. I can't even find an 05+ Taco in any of the junkyards around here. This is a mod I have been wanting to do as well.

·
Powder Seeker
2007 Tacoma Double
275 Posts
I think you may find it cheeper to build your own. Install an inverter in the cab, maybe run an outdoor plug into the storage unit in the bed?

·
TN Junkie
68 Posts
I think you may find it cheeper to build your own. Install an inverter in the cab, maybe run an outdoor plug into the storage unit in the bed?
Good Idea. You could keep the large storage areas with lids, and finally use those bed pockets obove the fenders for something other than lights or rope...

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
X2 and It will be better than the OEM pos :thumbup:

check out the colman 800 watt on Ebay. Look in the DIY section here for help installing one. :thumbup:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought my truck from a buddy of mine for a really good deal, so i couldn't really be picky about what the truck came with. If i were going to do it, I would need so find some kind of way to keep the outlet out of the elements. I'll do some research into finding an outdoor type outlet.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
I bought my truck from a buddy of mine for a really good deal, so i couldn't really be picky about what the truck came with. If i were going to do it, I would need so find some kind of way to keep the outlet out of the elements. I'll do some research into finding an outdoor type outlet.
the oem is mounted in the cab.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its mounted right under the center console isn't it? I'm talking about the actual receptical in the bed, where the oem has the insulated rubber housing.

·
Powder Seeker
2007 Tacoma Double
275 Posts
Its mounted right under the center console isn't it? I'm talking about the actual receptical in the bed, where the oem has the insulated rubber housing.
Yeah, I was just thinking about an outdoor power cord, run from the cab to the bed, and than pickup an ABS receptical box with an outdoor cover on it and than use silicon to ensure it is all water tight.

I have a few around the house outside and they take a beating from the snow pilled against them, the wind and the rain.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just searched google and came across a similar thread on tundrasolutions with the same question. someone gave the part number 8553004010, i looked it up on trdparts4u and it says its a SOCKET ASSY, POWER O, costs 23 bucks. Does anyone know what this piece is, I would like it to be the housing.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
check out home depot. i saw some nice weather proof ones with a door.

·
OVER ON TW
2008 toyota tacoma
321 Posts
check out home depot. i saw some nice weather proof ones with a door.
i think a marine type plug would be a hell of a lot more durable and better at keeping water and sand and whatnot out cause thats what it was deigned for as opposed to the outdoor plugs for a house that is only meant to be water resistant to water flowing a certain direction. if you go to west marine or any type of place like that you could probably find something suitable. i just think it would be better to do it once then use the wrong type then have to change it anyway. especially if the hole you cut is too big for the second outlet you have to put in.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
i think a marine type plug would be a hell of a lot more durable and better at keeping water and sand and whatnot out cause thats what it was deigned for as opposed to the outdoor plugs for a house that is only meant to be water resistant to water flowing a certain direction. if you go to west marine or any type of place like that you could probably find something suitable. i just think it would be better to do it once then use the wrong type then have to change it anyway. especially if the hole you cut is too big for the second outlet you have to put in.
+1 but be prepared to shell out more cash. :thumbup:

·
OVER ON TW
2008 toyota tacoma
321 Posts

·
OVER ON TW
2008 toyota tacoma
321 Posts
+1 but be prepared to shell out more cash. :thumbup:
ya but you know its designed to be on a moving platform and keep out unwanted material. you wouldn't want water you get in your house receptacle corrode then next thing you know you switch on your inverter and possibly fry it.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Don't bother doing the OEM one. It's only 400W max and drops to 100w when the truck is moving for some asinine reason. :rolleyes: It ties into the vehicle speed sensor, clutch cruise control cancel button, and maybe other systems. As such, it won't be plug n play unless you have all the wires already there.

Combine that with the low power rating and you REALLY are better off doing an aftermarket and mounting it yourself where ever. Cheaper, more power, and probably easier to install.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts