Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Highlander V6 FWD Millennium Silver, 2017 Highlander Limited Platinum- Toasted Walnut Pearl
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have my 04 Highlander but traded in the Sorento SX for a 2017 Limited Platinum. I have to say it's great to have back the Highlander as a daily driver! The Sorento had nice features and definitely a great bang for the buck but nothing compares to Toyota's reliability. It never really felt right driving the Sorento. I just love the color on the HL, Toasted Walnut Pearl.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Highlander Hybrid Limited Platinum
77 Posts
Congratulations! That is an awesome color! I wish I could have found ne like that. But blizzard is OK When buying used, beggars can't be choosers

·
Registered
624 Posts
I still have my 04 Highlander but traded in the Sorento SX for a 2017 Limited Platinum. I have to say it's great to have back the Highlander as a daily driver! The Sorento had nice features and definitely a great bang for the buck but nothing compares to Toyota's reliability. It never really felt right driving the Sorento. I just love the color on the HL, Toasted Walnut Pearl.
How long did you have the Sorrento and what issues did you have? Just curious.

·
Registered
2004 Highlander V6 FWD Millennium Silver, 2017 Highlander Limited Platinum- Toasted Walnut Pearl
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only had it for about a year and a half bought it at 35K miles. Drove it maybe 7K miles in that time. Within the first months and maybe 2-3K of driving it (so about 37-38K), the dealer had to replace the Catalytic Converter under warranty. I also noticed a slight shake/vibration when it was idling/parked. Then an extreme amount of white "vapor" during the cold months. Once a motor warms up in my experience it tends to reduce that vapor but this one felt like forever. This one would do it even in 50-degree weather. Lastly, a strange exhaust smell- smelled really rich. I guess I lost confidence in it. On the forums, there are reports of engine failure due to stripped head bolts, as well as a very expensive BCM repair. There was also a sudden dip in the coolant level, which could have been because of the extremely cold months but I couldn't take a chance of spending $25-30K on a vehicle that may not last the life of the car loan. I own a 2004 HL that has been a pleasure to own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts