Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I thought I just might pop in here to get your guy's opinion on something.
First thing is Ill provide a little info about myself so you can get an idea of what im trying to do
Car: 1998 Toyota Camry LE
Engine: V4
I think a 2.2 or 2.3 liter displacement
No other exterior mods

Basically what i want to do is mod my car a bit and install a new muffler, the first thing is I have a few in mind but im not sure if they will work with my car at all so heres the info for them

Muffler 1: Its called a racing medallion muffler, says it fits most all import cars ect. Supposedly says camry too
Measurements:
Diameter: Inlet-2.5" Outlet-4" Length- Inlet tip-2.5" Outlet tip-2.75 All:17"L x 5"W x 5"H

Muffler 2: Its called an otto racing flared muffler, supposedly says it will work for camrys too.

So far I think the single exhaust looks better but what do u guys think, a single or a dual exhaust for a camry? or between those?

Second question, is how exactly hard are these to install and are their any legalities involved? I have a friend who has done it to his car, but Im not sure if his quality is... the best. Im just wondering If its real hard or real easy to do.
Thanks guys for your help ;)
Sam

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
go with the single exhaust. simple is good :cool:

you are aware that this isn't going to just bolt on, right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol Im aware of that, im a noob at this so bear with me lol... hes got a welder kit and stuff and I work at a hardware store so I have access to everytool ever made... hes apparently done this before, I just stepped out to my car a min ago, and I measure a few things, one question is, is this the actual muffler or just a tail pipe? It seems my muffler on my car is at least 2.4 foot long it seems including the tail pipe, you think this will fit lol? I didnt measure exactly, just rough guess. Sure is longer than 15 inches though, I can take a pic if you need me to.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
ok you have a inline four(4) 2.2litre engine if you add that can on there make sure to have a matching size exhaust pipe otherwise it will fart

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol how come you are asking me these questions? I dont know, I dont have enough money to soup it up real nice, so I put in a muffler system that makes it sound good at least, is there any problem in that lol? All I want to know is if it will fit my car and realitively how hard it is to install, and if I need anything else other than this kit to do it (excluding tools).
Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok but in adition to this I need to have a tip right? do those go pretty standard? Also though, u sure I just cant have my friend do it? is it really that hard?

·
back again? yeah, i am.
1992 Toyota Camry
1,493 Posts
rice mcrice...sry...but its prolly gonna sound like that:(

·
Registered
678 Posts
hypeman said:
i dont think you wanna put a 5" on a 4 cyclinder omg :lol:

think you should go around 2.25" or 2.5" at max
5" is the outlet. You're talking about the inlet hypeman.

·
Reppin my Home
343 Posts
:rice:

Just a few corrections,

it's a 4 cylinder not a v4 and anything with a 5" "tip" shouldn't be put on anything :D

Just letting you know :thumbup:

·
slowamatic noob
1996 Toyota Camry
3,857 Posts
i'll choose the 1st muffler...the 2nd one looks kinda werid in my opinion especially of how that tip is designed... and man, that 5 inch tip on the 2nd muffler, thats quite big for a camry, altho camry's are big cars...i still think it wouldnt look right...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
how much are midas and other stores going to charge for a full catback, all the goodies included?

I just want a nice growl, something that is noticable when i rev at people but not really super farty. Is the the size of the exhast that makes it sound farty or does it have to do with resonators and stuff like that.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey Sam,
Nice post. Welcome to TN. I think Ive told you this, but I would go with the first muffler, maybe ask the sears people what they think, I think that they could be of more assistance.
John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey John,
Ya Im going to have to do quite a bit more research, I agree a 5 in is probably a bit too big, I just dont see many that are any smaller, maybe im looking in the wrong place who knows lol, but from what Im hearing it might not be a bad idea just to have a installer do it since you could probably screw up your exhaust nicely if he messed up. Looks like Ive got a ton of research to do ;).
Sam

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
you dont see anything thats smaller then 5inches? oh man your seriously looking in the wrong place. 2-3' are very very easy to find. I would hate to have your camry sound like my friend's intergra. He has a 4 inch Apex1 exhast on that. Sounds nasty and scary on the highway.

·
Registered
346 Posts
look around on ebay i saw plenty of universal fit 2.5 mufflers i might plan to buy one myself cause they dirt cheap but the main problem is my piping is rusted to hell i might have to change that(mechanic even said i need to change pipe that connects to the muffler). Not sure if the universals would even fit on my 88 camry but we will see. I might get this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33636&item=7926310596&rd=1

1 - 20 of 25 Posts