Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out if it is possible to add the steering wheel audio controls to the stock single cd unit? I have read previous threads and it doesn't appear that this has been resolved. It looks like they can be added to the steering wheel without a problem. The question is if the stock stereo has a jack in back to add them and if their is already a harness installed between the two so you can connect them? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
pcrizzo said:
Has anyone figured out if it is possible to add the steering wheel audio controls to the stock single cd unit? I have read previous threads and it doesn't appear that this has been resolved. It looks like they can be added to the steering wheel without a problem. The question is if the stock stereo has a jack in back to add them and if their is already a harness installed between the two so you can connect them? Any help would be appreciated.

I checked into this with the stealership and they told me that you need to install a harness between the head unit and the steering wheel and that you need to replace the steering wheel with a new one with the correct connections....labor and parts was going to be like $1500.00. I asked him if he was certian about that and he said he had researced this twice. Not sure I'm going to settle for this answer but would be interested in knowing what anyone else finds out. I have the steering wheel controls in my Acura TL and every time I drive the Tacoma I'm reaching for the steering wheel controls.

·
Don't mess with the Blue
1,809 Posts
Hozeit said:
I checked into this with the stealership and they told me that you need to install a harness between the head unit and the steering wheel and that you need to replace the steering wheel with a new one with the correct connections....labor and parts was going to be like $1500.00. I asked him if he was certian about that and he said he had researced this twice. Not sure I'm going to settle for this answer but would be interested in knowing what anyone else finds out. I have the steering wheel controls in my Acura TL and every time I drive the Tacoma I'm reaching for the steering wheel controls.
:eek: $1500.00 :confused: WOW, I think i'd just have to suck it up live with raising my arm up to change the audio controls. That's a bit excessive. But, I believe it, it is the STEALERship, like you said.

·
Registered
848 Posts
$1500 sounds about right, if you have to change the steering wheel. Don't forget there's an airbag in there, that's probably the bulk of the price. I'm w/ Blue on this, I love my steering wheel controls, but if I didn't already have them, I would just live w/ it the way it is. $1500 is a little excessive for a small convenience. Not to mention you'll be testing Murphy's law by messing w/ the airbags.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Toyotanation!

newbie here

just got a 2003 Highlander last week and I keep reaching for the radio controls on the steering wheel and there are none.....bah!!!

has anyone had any luck with what appears to be a very pricey upgrade. I was thinking of getting the steering wheel from those online autoparts "junk yards"....vehicle that was rear ended and all the parts were stripped and sold.

once I get a replacement steering wheel (if),

I would be at a loss what to do next?

i have a stock single CD/MP3 double din head.

looks like this:

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/ToyotaHighlander/Images/Dash.jpg

any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Softball God
2,096 Posts
That's one of two reasons why I wish I had bought a TRD Sport instead (the other is better wheels). Honestly, it isn't worth the trouble/cost. Just get yourself an aftermarket head unit with a remote and use that. Some even come with a remote that you can mount on your steering wheel.

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Trd racer
996 Posts
GOOD POINT!! :thumbup:

To bring this thread back from the dead it can be done very easy.
Folk's there is a guy on ebay a Toyota dealership that can sell you the airbag cover for less then $100.00 .
My Tundra retains the same Cover as your Tacoma and I added the Oem steering wheel controls with the bluetooth that would be a blank on the other side. I have pictures from my install and yes everything work's to my Pioneer Z1 Navigation system. Wiring was all there for the Tundra it was plug and play with the Pax also added. I did have to swap out the cover on my airbag tho. This swap was done from my local Toyota dealership for free because I do bussiness with them a lot. It took less then 1 hr from what i was told. They cut out the rivet's used on the non steering wheel airbag cover and added the new Toyota Part i purchased and it worked. Toyota uses the same airbag for both non steering wheel controls and steering control models.

before with crappy Pioneer remote add on (hated that pos)

after doesnt show the new switch (bluetooth button added)

If you asking me about wiring Toyota wires them all the same Jbl or not. This option can be had at a minimal cost just have to do some reseach like i have done on the wiring.

·
Trd racer
996 Posts
tundrav8yahama so all you had to do was order the controls, and the cover? b ut you had to have the dealership install them?

Yea I found the steering controls from a camry which is the same wiring for Tundra/Tacoma from ebay. Purchased the Oem cover (steering wheel blacks knocks right to left vs what I had that was covered) and took that into the Toyota dealership.

Dealership just ripped out the old rivet's from the old airbag cover and torn it off. Next the new airbag cover was attached back to the airbag and then it was riveted back to the Airbag system and reinstalled where the old cover was. Toyota retain's the same airbag for both design's folk's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
uhh. Guys! My 2006 (gen 4) 4runner is already pre-wired for all this. The dealership is LYING TO YOU. I bought some audio controls on ebay, and also an airbag cover which accommodates this swap. Total price: $130. The harness IS IN THE WHEEL, regardless of the $3,000 upgrade from the factory. Toyota pre-wireed all of these toyotas at the factory to actually save costs on manufacturing different harness situations....And not only does it work, but I've just adapted the the controls to an aftermarket, JVC Deck, with a 'Crux Controller; $50 . done!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So sorry to resurrect, but can't find this info anywhere.

Lucky Jack, if you ever come back, what is the story with swapping the airbag cover? Drill out the rivets?

·
Reg(cab) Guy
2 Posts
I'm doing this with my 2013 regular cab. Found the parts on eBay for about $100. Just need to get the wiring in place. Just bought a new spiral clock to upgrade the steering column from one without the buttons to one with. It looks like it shouldn't be that hard. I took everything off when I put the cruise control on. I have the new steering wheel with the two panels that go down either side of the airbag. Everything looks to simply bolt in. I know the wiring is probably not in place once I get the button panels put on, and that's where I still have some homework to do. The truck was not wired for the cruise control, so I doubt it will be for the steering wheel buttons. I may just put the parts on and then take it to an audio shop and have them figure it out. I'll probably buy a new head unit since the consensus on most of the blogs, seems to be that the factory units weren't all that great anyway.

Has anyone done this yet?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts