Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you could replace the stock Corolla LE sun visors that don’t have a light with the Toyota visors that do have a light that comes on and off when you open them? The trim models above the LE I believe have the light stock.

I figured it would be easy enough to do so long as the Corolla LE has a power and ground connection ready to go when it meets the headliner like the upgraded trim models do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone know if you could replace the stock Corolla LE sun visors that don’t have a light with the Toyota visors that do have a light that comes on and off when you open them? The trim models above the LE I believe have the light stock.

I figured it would be easy enough to do so long as the Corolla LE has a power and ground connection ready to go when it meets the headliner like the upgraded trim models do.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,656 Posts
It's doable. It'll be easier to wire the pigtail if you have a sunroof or map light console.

·
Various Toyotas
4,436 Posts
What year Corolla?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What year Corolla?
2015 Corolla. I tried looking up wiring diagrams but could only find a generic one online and not one for a LE specifically. I'm moving soon, so if anything I may just pull a visor off at some point and see if there is any power connector there for a start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's doable. It'll be easier to wire the pigtail if you have a sunroof or map light console.
No sunroof in an LE, so if there is no power where the visor connects to the headliner in the LE, the map light console might be the way to go. Is there a pigtail connector type you'd recommend? I'm no stranger to crimping, soldering, and splicing, but with so many types of connectors I didn't know if there was a special one thats safe, robust, and durable for a car.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,656 Posts
The visor should have a connector attached to the visor.

Verify with a wiring diagram as I know the light would illuminate with engine off. Not sure if this is the case with the Camry.

Ignition, battery, and ground should be needed unless you want it to be on all the time just like the power port.

You could splice into the map lights in the mirror or if you have an over head map light console.

If you want to make it a factory look, then go with finding the parts at a local junkyard and find the mating connector and pigtail for both sides of the visor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The visor should have a connector attached to the visor.

Verify with a wiring diagram as I know the light would illuminate with engine off. Not sure if this is the case with the Camry.

Ignition, battery, and ground should be needed unless you want it to be on all the time just like the power port.

You could splice into the map lights in the mirror or if you have an over head map light console.

If you want to make it a factory look, then go with finding the parts at a local junkyard and find the mating connector and pigtail for both sides of the visor.
Thank you for taking the time to help. Not sure how able I'll be to do all of that, but it's definitely a great start. Down the rabbit hole I go.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,656 Posts
Good luck and hoping it works out for you. Keep this thread updated when possible. I almost forgot, the switch for the light could be located in the locking clip. Double check to see if there is a switch or if it's in the visor itself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for taking the time to help. Not sure how able I'll be to do all of that, but it's definitely a great start. Down the rabbit hole I go.
from my own research, on higher trim models that have the light already in the sun visor, there is a power and ground source in the clip on the headliner side, and then the sun visor has its own connector that clips into there. So basically when you snap in lighted visor, that snap is also causing the electric connection between the two components. So if that power and ground is already on LE trims headlined side connection, this becomes a joke of a job. But if it’s not there the power and ground would have to come from another source.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,656 Posts
I'd look for the pigtail in the headliner in the junkyard. Maybe one from a Camry or 10th gen Corolla.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
208 Posts
Not possible as there is no connection to jump into besides the overhead lighting wiring which requires you to remove the roof liner... And good luck with that!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,656 Posts
It's very possible. Just need to find either an open slot in the fuse box or tap into the map light circuit. I don't think you'd need to use an inline fuse or add a fuse to this circuit since it's just lighting.

As for the map lights, you actually don't need to remove the headliner. You can use the edge and a plastic tool to run it along the edge. Why make it more complicated than it needs to be?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts