Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 toyota camry LE, with 4 stock speakers (front and rear) and 2 after market tweeters. I just bought a pair of alpine coaxils and want to replace my front speakers with them.
But Im not sure if I need to take out the tweeters....
because I tried adding a pair of rear speakers before, and I started blowing fuses and they sounded horrible, after I took them out it stopped.

Do I need to remove my tweeters? Im pretty sure, that they are wiring in paralell with my front stock speakers...

thanks alot for the help

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
running tweeters parallel without their accompanying midrange/bass driver is bad, you overrun the amp/headunit, which is why it cuts out. most amps/units are 4ohm stable, whenyou run 2 4ohm units of one output its no longer 4 ohm and you get sound cutting out, fuse blowing etc.
i fyou must run seperate tweeters, get a proper crossover, or run them in series.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, im getting regular coaxials not midrange woofers...so I will need to remove the tweeters right? And how exactly do you do that, since its wired in paralell with the front speakers...do you just cut the wire that goes into them? because there isnt something that just disconnects...

also, im only replacing my front speakers not my rear...will this make a diff, like will my deck produce less power or the same?

thanks alot for the help

·
Registered
145 Posts
aint that if u run 2 4ohms in parallel, u will have 2ohms??? overall power stays the same, but since resistance reduced by half, n Power = I^2 X R??? but u have to make sure that ur amp or headunit support 2ohm..........

one other thing is that u have to make sure that ur amp/deck produces enough power to run the speakers, otherwise the speaker will run under power = reduced volume......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That wasnt my question..

Im not running 2 4ohms in paralell, because I will be taking away the tweeters. So I will have 2 after market speakers, and 2 stock speakers.

I need to know how to remove the tweeters..do I just cut the wire that goes into them and tape off the end? Because there isnt something that just dissconnects from the back.

thanks

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
do not cut anything, they have a quick release in the door panel, you will have to remove the panels

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
are you running them off of an amp or your HU. If it's the head unit, I'd say, run the front channels to the tweeters, and the rear channels to the coax's in the front door, Thats about the only way your going to keep them and add new speakers. Unless you have a 2 ohms stable amp, but it doesn't seem like that is the case

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No it should work if I take out the tweeters, then add the coaxials in the front. Then I will have 4 speakers, that are ment to run off a HU...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts