Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just bought a Coleman Safari Rack (like the ones being sold at Costco a few weeks ago) with the intention of mounting it to the racks on my truck's cap. I want the rack to carry camping equipment and firewood and I'd like to mount two quickfist clamps to each side to carry an axe and a shovel.

I've seen pictures on other sites of guys who have done this, and it looks like they have welded a piece of metal to the rack and then bolted the quickfists to that, but I'm unsure of exactly how to accomplish this.

^This is a picture of the rack.

^This is what I'm trying to do.

Any ideas on how to best accomplish this? Are there any special welding considerations to keep in mind? I'm a total novice when it comes to welding, but I'd like to learn and I think this could be a good first project.

What kind of metal would you use to make the attachments for the clamps? Would using steel or aluminum make any significant difference in terms of strength or weight? I plan on using the rack for expedition-type off-road camping trips, so I must have a secure mount since I don't want a splitting axe to fall off and take a chunk out of my cap.

A couple additional pictures of what I'd like to acheive:

As well as a picture of the truck, I have Thule racks (square bar) if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
96 Posts
im sure you dont know but, why would that guy put firewood in a roof rack?
To keep the black widows and wood lice out of the sleeping quarters?:ugh3:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure why he's got the firewood up there, to be honest. I plan on keeping my tent, backpack and a dry bag with some food up there so I can get to them upon arriving in camp and don't have to dig through the whole back of the truck before I can start to set up camp.

I guess keeping the wood up there helps keep the bugs out of your sleeping and food supplies? Or maybe he had the rest of the truck filled already and just decided at the last minute to bring some firewood.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently purchaesd a Bajarack for my Taco and plan on adding some gear using Quickfists I think. I think I am jut going to make some simple 2-peice compression clamps to mount the Quickclamps to. I do have access to a pretty nicely equiped shop at work luckily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts