Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I add a turning signal led strip to the Venza and I think it really helps people seeing the turning signal or at least I noticed people are turning their head looking at my amber blinking led lights.

It only lights up when I flick the turning signal light on and it is not too tacky since most of the time it is off and you barely notice anything there (the strip is only about 4mm wide).

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would be really interested in knowing how you did that. Any steps you could provide would be helpful. Looks wonderful :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I like it.

How about a parts list and a how-to write-up?
It is quite easy...
Here are the things you need:

1) Go to eBay and buy a pair of 60cm (about 24 inches long) "Amber LED strip". I bought this ebay item 150477834853. Disclaimer: I have no relationship with this seller so you are free to buy from just about any seller on ebay that sells led strips. Make sure you ask them how the led light are facing.

2) Get a pair of 18-22 gage "quick splice" from Auto Zone to tap into the turning signal wire.

3) Find the turning signal light wire. The turning signal light has three wires. I use the automobile wire testing kit to test the wire... my Venza uses the banded green wire as its turning signal.

4) Clean your head light housing. Peel off the 3M double sided tape on the led strip and carefully stick the strip along the bottom of your head light as shown in my photo. Do it from the outer edge of the head light toward the signal light since that is where your power source is. The Gap will be wide enough to pull the led strip along with its wire into the back of the signal light.

4) Test to see which of the two led wires is a positive wire and then use the quick splice to tap into that turning signal wire.

5) Ground the negative led wire to the body of the car (use the existing ground if you can find one) and you are done.

·
Registered
2010 Venza, 2007 MDX
143 Posts
Both sets of LEDs look fantastic!

Do you make house calls? ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
help to fix led strip

Hi , i am staying in alexandria , can u help to me put led strip on my venza ,can u send me a link where u brought led strip , so i can order from there , i am looking for white led strips on top of head lights which u installed , i like them

Thank you. If you live around my area... I would be more than happy to help out. I love monkeying around with cars.
It is pretty easy though... just two wires to hook up and you are done.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hi , i am staying in alexandria , can u help to me put led strip on my venza ,can u send me a link where u brought led strip , so i can order from there , i am looking for white led strips on top of head lights which u installed , i like them
I bought it off eBay... as long as they are side glow or side emit led strip about 20" long (US seller should be good because you don't want to deal with international seller if you need to return it)

Either item#120686500803 or item#220741836089

What area of Alexandria do you live ??? I am 2 mies off from Springfield Mall.

·
Registered
2009 Venza AWD
58 Posts
Headlight LED strip

Great job and look.

I like the look of the Audi vehicles with the white LED lights. I assume this could be done with a similar look, but with white LEDs.

What holds the strip on the headlamp assy?

I bought it off eBay... as long as they are side glow or side emit led strip about 20" long (US seller should be good because you don't want to deal with international seller if you need to return it)

Either item#120686500803 or item#220741836089

What area of Alexandria do you live ??? I am 2 mies off from Springfield Mall.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great job and look.

I like the look of the Audi vehicles with the white LED lights. I assume this could be done with a similar look, but with white LEDs.

What holds the strip on the headlamp assy?
The led strip has a 3M tape on the bottom. Believe me or not, it is pretty strong after a couple days. The bottom strip will need about 24" long (the thin strip is better for the bottom part) and the top will need about 12"-14" long.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i stay near seminary road just off I-395 , in EBAY i can find only 20inch led strips , should we buy that and cut it for our size , or is there some website we can buy 12 or 14 inch strips , plz can u help me, which one to buy, i am lookin for white leds strip which are on top of the headlight

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i stay near seminary road just off I-395 , in EBAY i can find only 20inch led strips , should we buy that and cut it for our size , or is there some website we can buy 12 or 14 inch strips , plz can u help me, which one to buy, i am lookin for white leds strip which are on top of the headlight

Do you want to put the strip on the top? The top you just get the 14" or 20" "side glow" strip. If it too long it can be trimmed off at every three lights.

The bottom one however, you definitely need 24" to cover the entire headlight contour and it has to be the thin led strip (thick one might be a little unsightly and not as flexible)...if you just want it white then this item #190495072764 thin LED Side Glow 24" will do.

I can't find any 24" led in amber either. The lady that I bought mine from is no longer listed her item on eBay so we 're out of luck.

Paul

·
Registered
2009 Venza AWD
58 Posts
How does it hold up with the snow and ice?

Do you want to put the strip on the top? The top you just get the 14" or 20" "side glow" strip. If it too long it can be trimmed off at every three lights.

The bottom one however, you definitely need 24" to cover the entire headlight contour and it has to be the thin led strip (thick one might be a little unsightly and not as flexible)...if you just want it white then this item #190495072764 thin LED Side Glow 24" will do.

I can't find any 24" led in amber either. The lady that I bought mine from is no longer listed her item on eBay so we 're out of luck.

Paul

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just an idea but what about lighting up the grille to give it a glow at night? I thought about it, but wasn't sure what exactly I would tap into. I guess it could be visible on a cloudy day but more so at night.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How does it hold up with the snow and ice?

Well, after six months it held up pretty good. The bottom one on the driver side need s little silicone gel (my fault for peeling it off and re-apply it back on when I first install it). However, the rest (both the top led) and the other side of the bottom are holding up well.

I took it through three car washes and it still holds up just fine.

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi paul, thanks for helping me , i brought the led strips ,can u help me in fixing those up, As i leave in alexandria i can come to your place so u can help me to fix those.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi paul, thanks for helping me , i brought the led strips ,can u help me in fixing those up, As i leave in alexandria i can come to your place so u can help me to fix those.
OK, I can certainly help you with that but please understand that I am not a professional installer by any mean. Just a regular guy much like yourself who likes to mess around with car:D.

Can you email your address (you can email me privately instead of posting it here)? Also we need to wait for a warmer day to do it because 30 or 40 degree cold won't do our finger or the sticky 3M tape any good. I think it won't stick too well in the cold.

Can you post a pic of your led or email me the picture of your led strip? How long it is?

Do you have all the tools and the wire clips as I showed here in the previous post?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
23 Posts
Audi type LED headlights

I have seen the after market LED light strips to make your headlights look like the Audi type, anyone put them on yet? How about posting a picture if you did.
OK now I see this thread

1 - 20 of 33 Posts