Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
09 highlander
09 Highlander LTD 4w
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 09 Highlander Limited with the Extra value Package 7 that has the JBL radio pre wired for XM radio and I thought I just had to add a receiver. I was just told it would be $450 bucks to add the receiver. I think this is crazy.

Has anyone been through this with a much cheaper solution? I can't belive that this vehicle didn't come XM ready. All the other cars pretty much do. Make a phone call and you have XM radio.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,702 Posts
:welcome: to ToyotaNation! Have you read through this thread yet in the Modifications and Maintenance sticky? There's info in there on cheaper XM radios. Also, you might search the forum to for XM radio info. Let us know if you have additional questions.

TrailDust

·
09 highlander
09 Highlander LTD 4w
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Xm

I think that Toyota is very misleading in the way the XM is stated on the sticker and to have to pay 450 bucks is not right. I will be complaining to Toyota. I don't want to add an aftermarket XM radio when I already paid for one that is XM ready.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do you have a shark antenna on the roof of your truck? If so and you wanna do it your self I can help you install this in your truck...

·
09 highlander
09 Highlander LTD 4w
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer is installing it on Tuesday for 200 bucks they wanted close to 500 but I went back and forth with them and I thought 200 bucks was fair. This way it will be through the radio that is already XM ready and not wires running all over.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes that price is fair. I found online an OEM unit that plugs in the trunk for 150.00 so the price they give is more then fair..

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
For those who do not want to pay for the OEM system (or don't have the sat ready OEM stereo), here is my setup. If you don't mind the aesthetic, it works great.

It was less than $175 installed. System was approx. $60, FM modulator $40, install $75. It is an older model, it came out of my other car that was a lease that I just turned in. Some of the newer models are nicer looking, and in some cases even cheaper than $60.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts