Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was a modification I wanted to do for 3 reasons. First, I like my car to look different than everyone elses, and second my commute is on a very busy dangerous road where additional brake lights certainly can't hurt. Third reason.... they look like bicycle reflectors!

This modification is only for those with some decent mechanical skills and those that aren't affraid to do a little cutting into their rear bumper.

first, get yourself a set of these LEDtruck marker lights. It took a lot of hunting to find something I liked, but finally found these.

http://www.fleetoilandtrucksupply.com/fleetoil/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=2-1/2"+Round+<BR>LED+Light,+40213&pf_id=7069&dept_id=5048&mscssid=DE3DPD5U0Q0X8LRFEFXPC2R95HHF9KGA

1. The first step is to get some green and some black 18 gauge wire.

2. Cut 2 pieces 3 ft long of both the green and the black wire.

3. Solder into the light terminals as shown.

4. Coat with Locktite clear silicone adhesive as shown and allow to dry overnight.

TEST WITH 12 VOLTS BEFORE PROCEEDING TO BE SURE THE LIGHTS WORK PROPERLY

5. Remove the 3 christmas tree clips that hold the truck side panels with a small flat blade screwdriver by wiggling out to access the tail lights.

6. Loosen the tail light bolts but don't remove. This will allow access to run the wiring up to the brake lights.

7. Remove the reflectors on the bumper by using a 10mm wrench.

8. Now for the scarry part.... Get yourself a 2 3/8" hole saw mounted to a drill.

9. Center the drill bit into the reflector mounting hole and drill a hole into each location. COVER THE AREA AROUND THE HOLE WITH MASKING TAPE TO AVOID DAMAGING THE BUMPER IF THE DRILL SLIPS.

10. The lights are tapered and press fit into the holes in the bumper. push into the hole and keep pushing back and forth to tightly press into the hole. Wait 10 minutes and push again once the bumper material has stretched a bit push again for a tight fit. BE SURE WHEN INSTALLING TO MAKE SURE THAT THE MARK ON THE LIGHTS THAT INDICATES "TOP" IS INDEED AT THE TOP.

11. Run the wires up behind the bumper and pull out next to the tail lights.

12. Fish the wires through the opening to the tail lights into the trunk. This will be a bit aggravating but can be done. Pull the wires up to remove an=y slack in the bumper area but leave a little room. IMPORTANT. WHERE THE WIRES COME THROUGH NY THE TAIL LIGHT GASKETING, WRAP WITH ADDITIONAL ELECTRICAL TAPE TO AVOID ANY SHORTING TO THE BODY WORK.

Retighten the tail light housings.

13. Using INLINE 18 GA Splices, connect the black wire from the LED light to the black/white wire going to the brake light socket. Connect the green wire from the LED light to the green/white wire of the brake light socket.

14. Check for proper operation then re-install the christmas tree retaining clips to the insides of the truck panels.

15. Go back under the car and fully seal the LED lights to the bumper on the inside with the Locktite silicone adhesive. This will gice the mounting additional strength.

ALL DONE.

NOTE: I used silicone to mount the lights as they stay in very securely just by the press fit but this gives them additional stregth. Also, with the silicone, if you have to remove them, you can do so by pushing VERY hard and they will come out. I recommend getting a spare LED light if you are happy with the installation, just in case something happens to one of them.

Also, with the way the lights are mounted, if you ever want to return the car to the original look, just get a 3" hole saw and cut out an 1/8" piece of plastic. This can be used to clamp the original reflectors back in if desired.

PICS OF THE FINISHED JOB.

·
Registered
728 Posts
The work is great.

I have been contemplating doing this. I don't like the visual of the LED fixture. I think something red would look better. Good work though.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Nice writeup. Looks like a very useful mod.

I'll sticky this just in case anyone else with a 10th gen decides to do this in the future.

·
Registered
'05 x '10 corolla s
26 Posts
Great idea.. I have seen the ones they sell on ebay but was wanting some could change if lights go bad..(this is a lot cheaper also)...You could have bought the plugs to go in them as well so when need to change just unplug old ones and plug in new ones....will be doing this mod soon...but will do something different with stock tails...

·
Registered
114 Posts
i just did this mod as well i didnt do your full read up but i went with a 2" light with the rubber gromit around it

i alose ran my wire about a foor behind the light there is a rubber plug on both sides made a small hole in them
im not thinking of making my own lights brake and turn sigs
should be ez enough if i can get some small led lights and just the light covers

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't want to be the only guy posting a comment that is not "wow, great" - the mod does look great, but now that you removed your reflectors, aren't you worried for the Ticket Violations you will get? I know in Quebec, i already got a 145$ ticket because i had all white headlights (no amber reflector, it was a white reflector)...

·
Registered
114 Posts
i dont think there would be a problem with the legal aspect of it
ur addint safety and removing reflectors that 90% of the vehicles on the road dont have anyway

·
uh..no, it's not a hybrid
3,486 Posts
I am pretty sure that every vehicle since 1970 or so has reflectors either built into the tail lights or somewhere else, but they do have them. Even trailers are supposed to have them. Otherwise they would be very difficult to see in the dark creating road hazzards.

They moved the reflectors out of the backup light enclosures that the 2008's had, its too bad they couldn't have picked a better shape like some other cars Toyota or Mazda has, plain circles look kind of...dorky..or even just left them in the backup light enclosure providing a cleaner look...

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i dont think there would be a problem with the legal aspect of it
ur addint safety and removing reflectors that 90% of the vehicles on the road dont have anyway
Absolutely true. Most cars do not have dedicated reflectors in the back. It's not a bicycle.

Believe me, the extra brake lights make the car much more noticable from behind.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am pretty sure that every vehicle since 1970 or so has reflectors either built into the tail lights or somewhere else, but they do have them. Even trailers are supposed to have them. Otherwise they would be very difficult to see in the dark creating road hazzards.

Maybe I'm wrong but at night my tail lights make my car visible to other cars.

·
Just getting started...
1,473 Posts
Absolutely true. Most cars do not have dedicated reflectors in the back. It's not a bicycle.

Believe me, the extra brake lights make the car much more noticable from behind.
Only when your lights are on.

I drive on local roads with no street lights and seeing the reflectors on the back or side of the car gives me an idea of where they are parked.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if u cant see a car at night with ur headlights on u should not be driving
Seriously, what's his real name, Mr. MaGoo? (google it) That's the weakest "defense" for reflectors I could image.

But hey, if he thinks those reflectors make him safer, then I'm glad for the comfort they provide.

·
Just getting started...
1,473 Posts
If you're going down on Anderson road going at about 80km/h and there's a Black corolla parked on the side of the road(let's say the battery died and car was left there til morning) your headlights (even with high beams) won't see the car until it's about 50 metres away. On a more curvy road, that distance can be even less. It's all circumstantial.

I'm not against the mod and definitely encourage the extra lights for safety but my point is to keep the reflectors on the car as it was originally put there for safety reasons. Also I don't know about others but when I'm on the highway, I'm always looking for reflectors shining back at me on the side of the road for police cars hiding there. :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts