Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Tacoma and the emergency brake clearly needs to have the cable either replaced or adjusted. I am fairly new to DIY type projects, but I thought this is one I could tackle. Any instructions or how to type stuff would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
Stole this from another site. Give this a try and see if it works.

• Jack the rear end up so the wheels are off the ground and set on stands

• Put the tranny in natural and e-brake off

• Remove rear wheels and brake drums

• Activate the e-brake bell crank by hand making sure it is turning the adjusting wheel is turning

• If it is not turning refer to manual for repair

• If it is working, replace brake drum, wheel, and lug nuts

• Activate the e-brake bell crank by hand until there is a slight drag on the brake when you turn the wheel

• Repeat for other side

• Adjust the slack out of the cable. The adjustment is in front of the gas tank and may be rusty and you need to use a good penetrating oil on it. I would blast it with the oil before I start the rest of the repair. I use PB Blaster.

• Do not adjust the cable so tight the it activates the e-brake just enough to take the slack out of the cable

• If the handle still pulls out to far, tighten the cable a bit more.

·
1996 Toyota 4Runner 4X4
1996 Toyota 4Runner
45 Posts
you dont even have to jack up the truck... i have a 98 tacoma and if you pull yourself under the truck you can rreach behind the wheel with a screw driver and there is a little hole with a lever inside and you click it a couple of times and then go drive the truck and make sure the back brakes are not rubbing (you will smell it if there are) (also feel the wheel to make sure it is not hot) but you might want to do it the hard way first so you can take off the drum and see where the lever is so you know for nexted time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts