Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to adjust the valves on my p/u, but I have a few questions. I know that you have to do them hot. To do the adjustment should you set each piston at top dead center and then adjust or number 1 at tdp? The truck is idleling a little rough and I noticed that I don't have much power lately. It only has 95,000 miles on the engine dont burn oil at all. I did a complete tune-up last weekend, plugs, wires, rotor, and cap. Gas mileage increased from 18 to 24mpg, thats better but would like now to adjust the valves to try to see if that smooths out idle and helps with power. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
38 Posts
To begin the valve adjustment, I set the number 1 piston to Top Dead Center (TDC) on it's compression stroke. To do this, I used a 19mm socket on my breaker bar and rotated the crank bolt clockwise until the notch on the crank pulley lined up with the "0" mark on the oil pump cover. When the number 1 piston is at TDC and on the compression stroke, both of the intake and exhaust rocker arms should be loose (in the picture I am actually able to slide rocker arms off the cam lobe - this is loose). If they are not both loose, you must rotate the crankshaft bolt 360 degrees since you are not on the compression stroke.

The valve clearances are as follows:

Intake 0.20mm (0.008in)
Exhaust 0.30mm (0.012in)

Adjust number 1 and 2 intake valves and number 1 and 3 exhaust valves to the indicated specs. To do this, I loosen the lock nut, insert the proper feeler gauge between the rocker arm pad and the valve stem. Turn the adjusting screw with a screwdriver until there is a slight amount of resistance or drag on the feeler gauge. Hold that setting with the screwdriver and tighten the lock nut. Slide the feeler gauge out and make sure there is still a slight drag to it. If not, repeat the above step.

Once the first set of valves have been adjusted, I rotate the crank pulley 360 degrees until the number 1 piston is again at TDC and the timing mark is at the "0" as mentioned earlier. The number 1 piston is NOT on the compression stroke. Now I adjust the number 3 and 4 intake valves and number 2 and 4 exhaust valves to the indicated specs. I reinstall the the valve cover, the hoses, and the air cleaner assembly and I am all done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info, that's just what i needed, will do the adjustments this weekend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts