Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i have a 2002 camry with the 2.4L 4Cylinder. The car currently only has 115k miles. There is a horrendous "rattling " noise coming from underneath the hood (it sounds like). It does it worse when its cold, but even when it warms up it still does it some. It will do it at idle worse, and quiet down some under acceleration but it still does it under acceleration. It obviously doesn't sound like a belt squeak/squeal because its a rattling noise almost like an old 12v cummins diesel truck at idle. Where do i start?

It also has the oil light that keeps popping on and off on the dash. Could that possibly be the oil pressure sensor?

Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,923 Posts
Hey all, i have a 2002 camry with the 2.4L 4Cylinder. The car currently only has 115k miles. There is a horrendous "rattling " noise coming from underneath the hood (it sounds like). It does it worse when its cold, but even when it warms up it still does it some. It will do it at idle worse, and quiet down some under acceleration but it still does it under acceleration. It obviously doesn't sound like a belt squeak/squeal because its a rattling noise almost like an old 12v cummins diesel truck at idle. Where do i start?

It also has the oil light that keeps popping on and off on the dash. Could that possibly be the oil pressure sensor?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Is there oil in the engine?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there oil in the engine?
Yes it has oil lol sounds like it could maybe be from an idler and or a pulley but im not sure. Was just hoping someone else has experienced the same thing. Its not an engine knock so to speak it sounds external not internal

·
Registered
25 Posts
Take your phone and tape it to a stick of some sort, don’t cover microphone. While engine is cold idling and hood open, move phone To a different part of engine bay for 10 seconds each while recording. During playback, it will be obvious when/where the sound was loudest to help pinpoint actual issue.
The oil light is unlikely to be related, however, it could be a much more serious issue. I’d check that out first.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds like a bearing knock of some kind. Engine might have been run low or out of oil at some point. Oil light going on and off when it's full means low/no oil pressure

1 - 5 of 5 Posts