Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have keyless entry; however, I want to unlock the car automatically when I approach it or I want it to unlock when key is in my pocket and I'm in feet of distance to it. Is there a way to get this installed after market?

·
6,344 Posts
I mean, I could MAKE something that did this, but nothing currently exists aftermarket to do this.
And I don't think the demand for it would be very high either.
Most people if they wanted that feature bought a trim level that already had it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean, I could MAKE something that did this, but nothing currently exists aftermarket to do this.
And I don't think the demand for it would be very high either.
Most people if they wanted that feature bought a trim level that already had it.
You're right. I didn't want to par 3000 extra just for this feature. But I really do miss it because it make life so much easier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What trim level unlocks the car as you approach it? I think all of them require you to put you hand on the door handle to unlock it.
My LE does not unlock when touching door handles. But at the same time it has a key fob with keyless entry.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My LE does not unlock when touching door handles. But at the same time it has a key fob with keyless entry.
I see... I'm not sure if it can be done because you don't have the smart key to begin with. The HL needs sensor all around to sense whether the key is near, outside, or inside the car.

I came across this thread in tacomaworld forum
... but this is assuming you have the smart key to begin with.

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Camry Freak
1,087 Posts
What trim level unlocks the car as you approach it? I think all of them require you to put you hand on the door handle to unlock it.
SE, XLE, Limited and Hybrid models have the Smartkey feature. It isn't an option on LE or LE Plus versions.

The factory system isn't designed to be installed as an option on Highlanders that didn't come with it from the factory. The only option would be to do something aftermarket- but to be honest nothing looks like it would work like the factory system. Looking at the aftermarket systems that were posted, none of them look very appealing.
If you want a system that works like the factory system, it would probably be best to sell your LE and purchase an used SE or XLE. No aftermarket system is going to be as reliable or efficient as the factory system.

I know how hard it is to go from a car that has a Smartkey to a car that doesn't. My 2007 Camry had a Smartkey- but my 2016 Accord doesn't. It wasn't that much of an adjustment though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts