Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been discussion about advancing the intake valve timing on the 4afe motor for more midrangepower.
Question.....
Is it o.k. to just advance the entire valve timing by moving the timing BELT one notch, so that the exhaust and intake BOTH are advanced? (i did this and I have more mid range power and a better sounding exhaust note)

OR do i take the valve cover off and move only the intake GEAR one tooth. (this, i think would advace the intake timing a lot more that if it was just the belt one notch)

Once again this is the AFE motor not the AGE.

P.S.( i did reset the ignition timing.)

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
there should be only one way the belt fits on the gears..... if not, your belt is too loose and you need a new belt...

thats why they make adjustable cam gears, to move the CAM, but keep the gear in line with the belt and other gears.

i think if you try this you will figure out that it only fits one way.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Count how many notch on the pulley and divide 360 to see how many deg you're advancing. The FE is running both cam on same pulley so you're advancing both which doesn't produce best power.

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
oh yeah, you meant turn the gear so it moves one groove.... ohhhh :) haha i guess i didnt undestand you.

yeah i agree with him, see how much you are advancing...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts