Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
only have 32000 kms on a awd 05 matrix. 3 months after warranty ended i took car in for its regular service to the dealer & was advised that i had to have back brakes replaced. they charged me for parts & labor. do u think that toyota should cover this under warranty (goodwill) cos if i knew there was a problem i would have taken car in before warranty expired. also can't believe that a toyota product would need repair with such low mileage. (driven with care). is this a common problem with matrix brakes?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have they been covering your other maintenance items, gas, oil, tires, filters?

Are married to the owner's daughter?

If no to the above then NO:-((

·
Registered
05 Toyota Matrix XRS
62 Posts
Mine warranty just expired and I was told tthat the warranty, although is bumper to bumper and you would think that that means everything, covers only engine, transmition and electrical. NO tyres, NO breaks, NO rotors, NO oil changes and filters, NOTHING that basicly wears out fast. So my friend get breaks with lifetime warranty and you have nothing to be worried about ;)

·
Taco Lover
2011 Tacoma
235 Posts
a set of brakes on an average passenger car should last about 25000 miles. if you do a lot of city driving or frequently in heavy traffic, then that would take the life down closer to 20,000 miles give or take a little depending on how much you are using brakes. 32,000 km is about 19,200 miles.

·
08 XR
Matrix XR
672 Posts
only have 32000 kms on a awd 05 matrix. 3 months after warranty ended i took car in for its regular service to the dealer & was advised that i had to have back brakes replaced. they charged me for parts & labor. do u think that toyota should cover this under warranty (goodwill) cos if i knew there was a problem i would have taken car in before warranty expired. also can't believe that a toyota product would need repair with such low mileage. (driven with care). is this a common problem with matrix brakes?
Is this your first car? if it isnt, you're an ass. Eh, you're an ass either way. The parts you mentioned are all wear and tear parts. Read your owner's manual and then the warranty, then grab a dictionary if it's too hard to comprehend. It's a Toyota Matrix that you've driven for the last 2 - 3 years, of course things are going to wear down, ESPECIALLY tires and brakes, you know why they wear? FRICTION! That creates heat and that causes damage. Do you honestly expect it to last 300000000 miles? I dont. I could imagine the warpage on my rotors.

Now you're expecting them to replace the parts for free. If you bought a BMW, you can expect that. But when you buy a BMW you're paying about 40k just for a slightly optioned model. Do you know why they offer free maintenance? Because you PAID for it. Toyota and their affiliates have a different mindset and heck, its working either way because people are still spending their hard earned dollars on new $30k+ cars and dont mind paying for the parts OUTSIDE of the warranty period.

Be happy it wasn't your engine that threw a rod.

·
Owner of much Obsolete
1986 Corolla GT-S
2,286 Posts
Toyota warranty does not cover "maintenance" wear items.

Oil changes, tires, brakes, rotors, wiper blades, things that are designed to wear out.

Even if you were within the warranty, brakes are not covered, unless something actually fails like the lining separating from the metal backing or the spring inside snapping, etc. The brake lining wearing thin is what it is designed to do and it is meant to be replaced.

Jeff

·
Registered
07 Matrix XR
1 Posts
LOL
I'm a service advisor and OMG...this is priceless. I don't know if the people that SELL the cars are not educating the buyers or just the buyers themselves are beyond lame.

You have no idea how many times I've heard this...wear and tear items are not covered, never would and never will be unless there is a recall or bulletin of some sort.

Common sense...seriously...

·
08 XR
Matrix XR
672 Posts
ohh i got it!
when you go back for brake repair, you should ask them to give you a warranty on your gas. just say "i didnt know i needed gas, i only drove 30000km thats barely ANYTHING!"

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok this could be a long post, here we go... the original post was posted on behalf of a co-worker who was asking my opinion (as i drive a toyota).. i showed him this site ,toyota nation, as in my opinion is a very usefull, informative place to get a lot of good information from people who drive & hence know the vehicles they talk about.. so i promote this site thinking it would be great place for him to pass some time & gain some knowledge..
my point is, although admittedly some of the replys are humorous i am dissapointed in the unwarranted berating we received.. does a potential new member deserve this for asking a 'stupid question'?...
The original post should have included the fact that his brake pads had indeed 'separated', (failed in some way) so he did have a legitamate beef with Toyota....
cheers...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry , no i did not see the brakes.. i did look at the receipt which stated that the brake pads had separated.. i'm not too sure what 'separated' means, but assume the friction material had come loose from the backing plate... would this be a defect or normal wear & tear ?...

·
Registered
14 Posts
rear brakes

Its easy enough to remove the wheel and or wheels and inspect, be safe in doing so. Now that is a very rare occurance for a factory pad to seperate but not impossible. If the pad did fail prematurely then I would speak to your service writer about a parts department warranty issue. The pad failed prematurely if it seperated depending how much lining is left. Is that stated on the inspection sheet in mm or 32nds?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Toyotech101.. thank you very much for your response & advice. i dont know how much material left on the pads. I will advise my co-worker to check out your respose t'morr when i go into work. cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts