Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this forum as i don’t own a Toyota personally but my mom feel on hard times and sold her new car for a 2006 Avalon

After 8 months of driving she is hit with a 8,000 dollar repair bill (more then we bought the car)

Having worked on every car I have owned decided to tackle this project.

Question is where can i save some money on parts. Our Indy mechanic quoted us 3,500.

Parts in need are.

Both front struts
Rack and pinion
Both axles
Rear brake pads and rotors resurfaced

I can get access to one parts at dealer cost but the rack and pinion and both axles equals over 1400 at dealer cost.

Has anyone used aftermarket parts for those three specifically with good results?

The struts and brake pads are not a problem it’s just those three.

A yoke who has replaced these parts. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am a VW guy personally so this is my first dive into Toyota besides a second gen Avalon I helped my friend degunk from the PCV issue

·
Administrator
14,310 Posts
For axles, I’ve had good experiences with Cardone Select axles, which are their new axles. About $109 for the pair on Rockauto.com. Stay away from the A1 Cardone axles. They’re rebuilt axles, and the quality is awful.

For struts, I like KYB. Although some don’t like them because they’re a bit stiff riding. I see Rockauto offers KYB complete strut assemblies or bare struts for your Avalon.

Dunno about rack and pinion brands.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It comes down to are you doing the work or are you having it done? Some folks make a big deal about parts, me included depending upon the vehicle, but I have used stock stuff from parts stores for years without much problem. Autozone and Advance stuff does alright. Buy new rotors. It isn't worth the expense to turn rotors anymore. The axles from them are also OK or you can spend a little more and go new NAPAs. RockAuto is another good option. I avoid the dealer for parts unless absolutely necessary.

Both front struts 150 (just the strut)
Rack and pinion 300 Make sure you have inner and outer tie rods. It may come with the inner but not the outer
Both axles 130
Rear brake pads and rotors resurfaced 100 (pads and rotors new)
Sway bar links 75 (Easier than trying to save the old ones)

The PITA will be installing the rack and pinion. The passenger axle can also be a pain. Search threads for info.

My inner voice is also telling me to get a second opinion on the repairs needed. It sounds a lot like they saw her coming and piled on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For axles, I’ve had good experiences with Cardone Select axles, which are their new axles. About $109 for the pair on Rockauto.com. Stay away from the A1 Cardone axles. They’re rebuilt axles, and the quality is awful.

For struts, I like KYB. Although some don’t like them because they’re a bit stiff riding. I see Rockauto offers KYB complete strut assemblies or bare struts for your Avalon.

Dunno about rack and pinion brands.
Thanks for the advice. I will check those ones out.

It comes down to are you doing the work or are you having it done? Some folks make a big deal about parts, me included depending upon the vehicle, but I have used stock stuff from parts stores for years without much problem. Autozone and Advance stuff does alright. Buy new rotors. It isn't worth the expense to turn rotors anymore. The axles from them are also OK or you can spend a little more and go new NAPAs. RockAuto is another good option. I avoid the dealer for parts unless absolutely necessary.

Both front struts 150 (just the strut)
Rack and pinion 300 Make sure you have inner and outer tie rods. It may come with the inner but not the outer
Both axles 130
Rear brake pads and rotors resurfaced 100 (pads and rotors new)
Sway bar links 75 (Easier than trying to save the old ones)

The PITA will be installing the rack and pinion. The passenger axle can also be a pain. Search threads for info.

My inner voice is also telling me to get a second opinion on the repairs needed. It sounds a lot like they saw her coming and piled on.
We got a second opinion with our Indy mechanic. Dealer wanted 8,000 and our Indy mechanic wanted 3500

The dealer definitively tacked on some extra not important stuff. The link with the repair estimate came with a link for financing options for repairs. Insane that they see an elderly lady without a wedding ring and take advantage.

Good advice on rotors. Will probably do that. The struts I can get for 100/strut for oem. I have also heard good things anout the Napa ones in my searching.

I will be doing the work myself. The moms babies her car and hardly even speeds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts