Toyota Nation Forum banner

Advice on shocks

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  silver04rollas 
#1 ·
As 130,000 km rolled on my XRS, looks like my shocks are beginning to go as they are leaking.

I am seriously considering getting Koni adjustable shocks instead of going stock again (the stock XRS shocks were made by KYB).

Can the ride height be adjusted from the adjustable shocks??

How does that change when you have lowering springs on??

Does the height adjustment on shocks take precedence over lowering springs??

If someone can please let me know, that would be great. Thanks.

#2 ·
Adjustable shocks allow the driver to change the rebound and compression damping, which influence ride quality to suit their driving purposes (basically a harsher or softer ride based on preferences).

Ride height is only adjustable with coilovers. With regular stock springs or lowering springs, the ride height is set.

Coilovers come in either the sleeve/spring form (such as Ground Control):

Or they come as a spring/shock combination (Such as Tein SS):

#3 ·
Thanks. That makes things clear now.

Yeah, I am considering coilovers as well. I guess the best coilovers for XRS would be the Tein SS??

#4 ·
Does anyone know what spring rate in lbs/inch is considered "harshly stiff" and too difficult for daily driving?

I am trying to gauge what is the maximum spring rating a daily drivable car should have?? Is 250 lbs/inch a reasonable number???

#5 ·
I was running KSport Kontrol Pro's on my Corolla XRS which are rated at:

Front (kg/lbs) = 7.5/420
Rear (kg/lbs) = 6/336

I always ran them on full stiff since I was running wider wheels with lower offsets. I've heard people claim they were stiff coilovers but in all honestly I wish they were stiffer and I probably wouldn't have rubbed much either. You could always order stiffer springs through KSport but the ride would def. be considered harsh at that point but with the spring rate they come with they are def. more than tolerable. I actually have them off my car and sitting in the basement since before this past winter because i'm taking my XRS in a whole new direction so if you are interested shoot me a pm and I can give you a run down on them along with some pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.