Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Highlander Loungers! I hope you are well. I am looking for a 2001-2007 or 2008-2013 Toyota Highlander for my mom. Unfortunately the 2001-2005 RAV4 is too small and the 2006-2012 RAV4 isn’t comfortable enough for her. Please let me know what particular configurations/options/features are good to have or avoid on the 1st and 2nd generation Highlanders; she also doesn’t want a particularly low trim/low optioned car... My budget is $10,000 tops, preferably under $8000. I’d prefer a timing chain car with 2 wheel drive and less than 150,000 miles because I’m not a fan of timing belts, the weather isn’t all that bad where I live (near Washington DC), and she’ll protest if the odometer mileage is higher, respectively. I look forward to engaging with the community. Thank you!

·
Registered
2006 Corolla
10 Posts
Hello Highlander Loungers! I hope you are well. I am looking for a 2001-2007 or 2008-2013 Toyota Highlander for my mom. Unfortunately the 2001-2005 RAV4 is too small and the 2006-2012 RAV4 isn’t comfortable enough for her. Please let me know what particular configurations/options/features are good to have or avoid on the 1st and 2nd generation Highlanders; she also doesn’t want a particularly low trim/low optioned car... My budget is $10,000 tops, preferably under $8000. I’d prefer a timing chain car with 2 wheel drive and less than 150,000 miles because I’m not a fan of timing belts, the weather isn’t all that bad where I live (near Washington DC), and she’ll protest if the odometer mileage is higher, respectively. I look forward to engaging with the community. Thank you!
It's too bad no one responded back. I'm looking to buy my first Highlander myself. I can't get rid of this 2007 Camry fast enough. I do understand that you asked a loaded question and you want a quick answer, without YOU DOING YOUR HOMEWORK first. I'm just a girl, what do I know about vehicles? Well, I can answer some of your questions by the process of elimination. You are asking about 13 years of a vehicle that has how many models, for example, 4 or 6 cy, 4x4 or 2x4, ok I see you said 2x4, gas or mixed breed, sorry (hybrid), etc. That's a lot of different varieties. Then you say your budget is $8000. lets leave it there, because with all the fees that the dealership/sales rep adds on like title, tax, license, car wash/vacuum, dealing with customers that take up too much of my time, need to get my quota in for the month, need extra money for that red sports car I want, etc., the price will certainly go up. You live near a large city with high crime rates, that's another high price, I'm sure you already know about. I live in San Diego, so I'm gonna be paying more and then more because I'm a girl and more because I didn't wear that cute little skirt with the slit up the back with high heel shoes I don't even own, because I'm 5'10". So 2008-2013 years are out of your budget. Unless you want to go to a Govt or county auto auction, where the vehicles most likely have a salvaged title, even though the body looks good and the engine sounds fine. Vehicles that surcome to criminals that can't multi task while being chasing by the police and end up crashed, often times get bought again by the same criminals that were driving, because they left their dope or guns, etc. in car. Those vehicles will get fixed up, but abandoned and then back at the auction. So down to 2001-2007 Highlanders. Now YOU NEED TO DO SOME RESEARCH, very easy. Ask the internet.....WHAT YEAR TOYOTA HIGHLANDER WAS THE WORST MADE? I got 2003. You wanted a timing chain instead of timing belt. Ask that question. CAR COMPLAINTS .com has a nice chart of all the years of Highlanders and the number of recalls, maintenance problems and the cost of those repairs.

Then after you've done some of your own research, then come back IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY PURCHASED A NEW HIGHLANDER and ask your question again, and hopefully someone will take the time to give you some advice FOR THE BOTH OF US. Thanks.

·
Official PITA
Solara 'Vert & ES350
812 Posts
A friend of mine had a 2006 Highlander Hybrid, bought it with around 160,000 miles.
Ran it to 265,000 miles with very few repairs, then traded it for another 2006 Highlander Hybrid, with only 98,000 miles, now at around 135,000.

The first was the base model, the second a Limited with 4wd, heated leather, etc., etc. The Hybrids go a little cheaper since people worry about replacing the battery, but a non-hybrid 2006 Highlander limited is within your budget.

At least around here, you won't find any over 6 or 7 year old cars at a Toyota dealer, they sell them to small local dealers, or send them to dealer's car auction. Keep your eyes open, you'll find one on Craigslist. Have whatever you're interested in inspected before you buy it !!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts