Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. I have a 1984 AE82 Toyota Corolla with a 4-AC engine ATX. Just recently my buddies were washing there vehicles from going mudding at a local mudpit. Of course it left a big puddle. So while we were leaving I tried to do a burnout in the crappy 80hp 'rolla but could only squeel the tires a little. After I did the burnout I saw something strange. The Battery warning light came on and so did the Brake warning light. The car continued to run fine, but I wasn't too sure what I should have done so I took it home. I read through my Haynes manual and the owners manual and the charge light comes on when theres something wrong with the charging system. So I turned the car on and disconnected the negative terminal on the battery and the car died. The car should have stayed running though right? Is the alternator fubard? or did something get disconnected while I did the burnout? Also I checked the brake fluid and there seems to be a sufficient ammount in the resevoir still, so I don't understand what is going on. If any of you can help me it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Travys

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
i would test both the battery and the alternator as per the haynes manual.. as for the brake light the parking brake switch or the fluid level switch could be causing some issues..

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
1,273 Posts
Busterbrown said:
So I turned the car on and disconnected the negative terminal on the battery and the car died. The car should have stayed running though right?
No of course it won't run, Removing the batterey when the car is running is very bad, your lucky nothing blew.

Test (with the engine running and everything connected) that you have 13~14 volts across the batterey, if not then you alternator is sick.

Test (with the engine off) that you have 11.5~12.5 volts across the batterey.

Then tell us what you fouund.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. My friend did a test with the car running under load with my sub on and it was reading lower than it should he said. So it's time to get a new alternator then I'm assuming. Should I get my current one rebuilt or try to get one at a local junkyard? Also any other ideas on the brake light coming on? I'll buy some brake fluid tommorow and fill the resevoir to the top to see if that does anything. Also the last time the brake light came on was when my front brake pads were worn out. I got them replaced and the brake light stopped coming on. Could it be that the rear brakes are worn out now too? Thanks again for the help.

Travys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts