Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My 1986 Corolla has started having starting trouble,

Only when hot, eg stopped at gas station for around 30seconds to 1 min, on getting in and trying to start it was cranking over fine, but wouldnt fire, sounded and smelled like it was flooded?
Any suggestions, has got brand new leads, plugs, dizzy cover and has just had a service.

Doesnt happen when its cold.

Has done it a few times, and most times walking away for 5 mins and coming back seems to fix it, hence the reason i think its flooding. Anyone have any ideas why its doing this or the remedy?

cheers
Mark

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
Starter, trust me I just replaced mine.. it did it for a year before it died. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really?

Never thought of the starter?
You think its not cranking the engine over fast enough?

cheers

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
hmmm... now that I read your post better, you're saying it does crank. Mine wouldn't crank when it was hot, then if I let it sit for a while and cool off it would crank. Sounds like your problem may be more fuel system related than starter. :dunno:

G

·
Fl440 said:
Hi All,

My 1986 Corolla has started having starting trouble,

Only when hot, eg stopped at gas station for around 30seconds to 1 min, on getting in and trying to start it was cranking over fine, but wouldnt fire, sounded and smelled like it was flooded?
Any suggestions, has got brand new leads, plugs, dizzy cover and has just had a service.

Doesnt happen when its cold.

Has done it a few times, and most times walking away for 5 mins and coming back seems to fix it, hence the reason i think its flooding. Anyone have any ideas why its doing this or the remedy?

cheers
Mark
could have an injector sticking open.... wait is it fuel injected? does it smell like gas before you start to try to turn the car on, or only after you cranked it. you could have a bad relay which when gets hot the solder joints dont make contact, then when cool down then contact again, hence why it starts when cold and not hot. the next time it doesnt start, check to see if you have spark.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

yeah it is fuel injected,

doesnt so much smell of gas, just smells very very strange. when it does start it runs perfectly fine, ie no black smoke out the back.:eek: so my thought is that it isnt flooded?

very frustrating problem, she is 368000 km old but shes in great condition!

does anyone think it could possibly be the master coil?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts