Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I'm still learning my way through all of this, so with my blunt knowledge of cars... I have gotten myself stuck. I was thinking of putting a 20v AE101 in an AE86. But, I have eventual plans for the engine, so, I need some info. I eventually want it turbocharged, and I was wondering what the best way to the turbo charged AE86 is. First off, some AE101 Q's.
1. Does the AE101 come as a 4-ague?(I think that's the code, the normal NA one :))

2. Is there a turbo charged AE101?

3.If there is an AE101 NA engine, if yhou remove the stock supercharger from a GZE, would it be exactly the same as the NA 4-ag?

4. Upon removing any turbochargers, superchargers, ect. from stock engine, liek the gze.. is it the same as the NA engine? e.g. Which is most powerful?

5. Does the AE101 have anything at all on the AE111?(Is it better in any way?)

Hopefully someone can help out this guy that obviously knows next to nothing about cars. :(

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
1. The AE-101 Levin GT-Z comes with the 4A-GZE, while the Levin GT-Apex comes with the 20v 4A-GE. Both of these you will need to import from Japan, btw. The standard AE-101 that u get in the US and Canada comes with the 4A-FE which is the Economy head which has skinnier valve angles.

2. No there isnt a Turbo AE-101.

3. That's pointless to say the least... go with a Naturally Aspirated 4A-GE from an earlier model.

4. It really depends what you want... the 20v Silvertop is slightly higher revving than the GZE, and flows better - but the GZE has more low end Tourqe

5. The AE101 has a few good points and bad points... for a start, it has an Air Flow Meter, where the Blacktop in AE111 Levins has MAP. This can be changed tho. The Silvertop in the 101 has slightly stronger internals also, helping with boost applications. It can probably run about 6psi stock.

Overall, if you are thinking about forced Induction, the GZE is probably the way to go, as you can just rip the S/C off and drop a turbo onto it... That being said though, its still not cheap. The 20v is even more expensive again... For more info, see the thread on what i call the TZ-20a Project.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, man. You really helped me a lot. :)
I never expected it once to be cheap, though... :s Actually, after looking for prices. I was suprised. I was expecting it to be more. :D

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
3.If there is an AE101 NA engine, if yhou remove the stock supercharger from a GZE, would it be exactly the same as the NA 4-ag?

4. Upon removing any turbochargers, superchargers, ect. from stock engine, liek the gze.. is it the same as the NA engine? e.g. Which is most powerful?
If you remove the supercharger from the GZE, it'll be a really lazy ass engine, because the compression is really low, because it relies on boost for power. Not to mention that the ECU is configured for boosted operation.

·
Shit Disturber
249 Posts
Akira101 said:
Thanks, man. You really helped me a lot. :)
I never expected it once to be cheap, though... :s Actually, after looking for prices. I was suprised. I was expecting it to be more. :D
yeah but thats what I thought, but a rebuild is so necessary, I just don't enjoy how badly my engine was treated when I got it (blackest most burnt oil i've seen in my life, and I'm an oil changer at CT!!!)

the rebuild's adding up to about $375~

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
hopeful said:
yeah but thats what I thought, but a rebuild is so necessary, I just don't enjoy how badly my engine was treated when I got it (blackest most burnt oil i've seen in my life, and I'm an oil changer at CT!!!)

the rebuild's adding up to about $375~

sorry to hear that man! i guess that's the gamble we take buying this jaydeeem motors, we don't know how it was used!

Akira... if you really plan on boosting a 20V, you better have a very deep pocket. it's no joke, a lot more expensive than you'll expect!

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
375?! I wish is cost that much over here... it was gonna cost me about $1k (about CAD$950) to rebuild my 4A-FE over here. And that was if i was to do it myself.. Sorry to get off topic.

·
DriftStar.com KingPin
514 Posts
Things to consider from most expensive to least expensive

1) You could go ultimately fast with a super duper motor that's running at 10/10ths capacity...you'll have big bragging rights, but you will be sad when you break parts such as transmissions, driveline parts and not to mention, the actual engine itself

2) You could just drop in a JDM motor such as a 4AGZE or 4AG 20V. Significant change from stock, more initial cost, but still probably cheaper than putting together a fully modified motor with similar output.

3) You can stay with a stock motor and spend a lot modifying it with bolt-ons. You'll achive a good balance and you'll feel good about doing the modifcations yourself and you'll have money to spend on tires.

4) My favorite... learn with what you already have. Abuse the thing and if you ever break it, it's a great excuse to exploit the other options stated above. You'll also be able to outdrive the motor, instead of the motor driving you.

Cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.