Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been googling, searching through all kinds of posts on toyota nation read all kinds of tutorials on AE86 swaps and read all kindsa random stuff about the AE92 GTS but nothing about an AE92 SR5 to GTS swap

is it the same as the AE86 swap?

also before ANYBODY suggests that i should just go out and buy a GTS.........I live in Georgia, there is absolutely NO corolla SR5s or GTSs in my area within 200 miles (if there was i would already have a GTS I am willing to drive 200-300 miles for one too.....) ive been on autotrader, ebay, AJC (newspaper thing), ect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i just realized i put GTS to SR5 when it should say SR5 to GTS...


should i just try and find a GTS at the junkyard? (lots of them... horrid condition though esp rust...) and fix it up? most of the cars have been left w/ the doors/windows open out in the rain FULL of water
 

·
Mr. Nice Guy
1991 Corolla GT-S
Joined
·
644 Posts
Yea when I saw the title I was like "WTF". Anyways you could probably just find a smacked up GT-S for the engine and tranny and ecu and wiring (with the back end smacked up) and swap it over, unless you come across a actual gt-s for sale, I don't know to much about it but It shouldn't be to hard, think it might be cheaper buyin a gt-s tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i will probably try and do that the second another GTS hits the junkyard so i can grab most of what i need since most of its is gone off the other 6 gts's
 

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
Joined
·
19,669 Posts
You're better off finding a GTS because pretty much everything is different.

Interior
-seats
-dash (clusters,
-body panels (doors and rear panels)
-console

Exterior
-skirts (SR5s have no holes for them)
-spoiler (some SR5s had them, some didn't)
-wheels

Suspension
-front/rear sway bars
-front serviceable struts (rears are all the same)
-front strut tower bar

Motor
-duh!

That pretty much sums it up. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that actually sounds like it would be better off for me to do... so i can slowly change it to a GTS and not save up a bunch and have alot of work to do

what is the difference between the GTS seats and the SR5 seats? are the back seats the same?
 

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
Joined
·
19,669 Posts
That's like comparing an office chair to an executive chair... which one is better. :)
 

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
Joined
·
19,669 Posts
GTS seats thanks to freakingbox's cardomain page.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
REN69 said:
GTS seats thanks to freakingbox's cardomain page.

ooo... i didnt see any of those in the GTS's at the junkyard... they had crummy SR5 style seats....

got back from the junkyard w/ a new dash (nowhere near as cracked as my old one) grabbed some new door panels from a GTS (the ones w/ the door handle instead of the cubby hole like the picture above)

are the back seats of an SR5 as comfortable as the ones from a GTS?
 

·
Mr. Nice Guy
1991 Corolla GT-S
Joined
·
644 Posts
OwnerOfReality said:
ooo... i didnt see any of those in the GTS's at the junkyard... they had crummy SR5 style seats....

got back from the junkyard w/ a new dash (nowhere near as cracked as my old one) grabbed some new door panels from a GTS (the ones w/ the door handle instead of the cubby hole like the picture above)

are the back seats of an SR5 as comfortable as the ones from a GTS?
Their the same...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,036 Posts
um, my sr5 seats are great..... they bolster really well... and the driver seat is 3 way adjustable (stock).

Couple things to note..... for the front swaybar you also need all of the bracketry, the control arms, and the swaybar endlinks. SR5's have rear swaybars. To install the strut brace you need to drill the firewall. GTS's also have rear disc brakes. Since the spoiler in a GTS has the 3rd brakelight, the SR5 rear dash is different (because it houses the 3rd brakelight.... which many other sr5 owners have complained, like myself, about the housing being designed poorly and the bulb gets too hot & melts the ground making it work intermittently). Although the SR5 doesn't have the holes for the sideskirts, they're easy to install.

At this point, (on this forum) i'm probably the closest to having an SR5 -> GTS conversion done on an ae92. Although quite a bit of the stuff that's different i've gotten better parts than stock to replace them. Done the motorswap (and i just got the aftermarket ECU, so once i build it & install it the motor will get the ITB's back). Have the front swaybar (except mine is slightly larger, it came from a Japanese GTZ) and front strutbrace. I have the gauges (all of them, i got rid of the stock SR5 dummy lights). I have the sideskirts on as well. The suspension has been upgraded -> kyb gr2's & suspension techniques, then Tein upper pillow ball strut mounts all around (aka 'camber plates'). I have the GTS rear trunklid & spoiler (but not installed, my sr5 does have a spoiler that's similar already on it).
 

·
The terrorist
1990 Corolla SR5
Joined
·
3,058 Posts
REN69 said:
That's like comparing an office chair to an executive chair... which one is better. :)
HEY! Watch your language or I'll kick your ass next meet.. I personally like the SR5 seats better.. i remember borrowing Ren's seat and I felt a lot more comfortable in my SR5 seat, but now that seat is busted! so i'm looking for a driver seat for a 1990 SR5 in Blue..

I considered doing the swap on my SR5 but realized that it makes more sense to upgrade to a newer engine or a supercharged 4AGZE with is the same engine as the GTS excpet witha supercharger (Stock engines in Japan for the AE92). It will enging costing you almost the same to do either, keep in mind your car is old and there are usually a lot of complications during the process..

Oh, and my car looks like a GTS already (IF NOT BETTER) minus the trunk spoiler..

Just my 2 cents..
 

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
Joined
·
19,669 Posts
your 2 cents don't count punk! :p:

BTW there's a blue AE92 SR5 with perfect seats in Oshawa, maybe you should come up and take a look. :)
 

·
Registered
89 gts
Joined
·
147 Posts
toyotaspeed90 said:
At this point, (on this forum) i'm probably the closest to having an SR5 -> GTS conversion done on an ae92. Although quite a bit of the stuff that's different i've gotten better parts than stock to replace them. Done the motorswap (and i just got the aftermarket ECU, so once i build it & install it the motor will get the ITB's back). Have the front swaybar (except mine is slightly larger, it came from a Japanese GTZ) and front strutbrace. I have the gauges (all of them, i got rid of the stock SR5 dummy lights). I have the sideskirts on as well. The suspension has been upgraded -> kyb gr2's & suspension techniques, then Tein upper pillow ball strut mounts all around (aka 'camber plates'). I have the GTS rear trunklid & spoiler (but not installed, my sr5 does have a spoiler that's similar already on it).
Your car is probably closer to being a GTS but I did a SR5 to GTZ conversion.
Heres my mod list
GTZ front and rear disk brakes
GTZ front and rear sway bars
GTZ strut tower bar
GZE late model map engine
GTS wing, side skirt
Levin frontend conversion and rear bumper
Levin door panels with power window
Levin power mirrors
Levin gauge,clock,oil temp
Kyb struts with Ground control sleeves on eibach springs
Levin tilt
The only thing I dont have is a cruise control
Trueno taillights
91 jdm MR2 front seats
GTS rear seats
GTS armrest
 

·
omg jdm
Joined
·
2,002 Posts
I'm slowly converting my 89 SR5 to a GTS/Trueno. I have the GTS spoiler and gauge cluster, along with the extra gauges on the dash from a GTS. I also have the Trueno front end. I still need to get a 4agze and rear disk brakes though!
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top