Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have friend who has a AE86 fastback and he install an engine from a altezza and my word it feels good :D. But here is the fun part he is going slap a turbo on that baby. so that thing just pull like mad. i'll keep you all posted
 

·
Urban Nomad
Joined
·
626 Posts
I dunno, sounds like overkill to me, the handling will go to shit, there's gonna be so much weight in front. The corolla won't be the balanced, nimble little car it used to be. I'd think a gze or even a turbo'ed ge would be enough to improve the fun factor.
 

·
^
Joined
·
4,197 Posts
Do you mean the 3SGE from the RS200? Or the 1JZ from the IS300? Either way, big engines in little cars are cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
Tell us more about it and post some pics. What rear axle did you friend use? Celica Supra? Did he have to custom fabricate anything?

I need details.:D
 

·
nice guy
Joined
·
191 Posts
Let us know about that axle man. I have a 5mge i could swap in my corolla. Then again...it would through the cars balance way the hell off....but who cares if i could have a 5mge in a corolla, i will buy another AE86 for the gze!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Alpha said:
I dunno, sounds like overkill to me, the handling will go to shit, there's gonna be so much weight in front. The corolla won't be the balanced, nimble little car it used to be. I'd think a gze or even a turbo'ed ge would be enough to improve the fun factor.
the difference is not as big as some people like to believe. a 3S mated to a T50 in a 1S housing is only 6kilos heavier than a 4A + a T50
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
hachi_slow said:
Tell us more about it and post some pics. What rear axle did you friend use? Celica Supra? Did he have to custom fabricate anything?

I need details.:D


Alvin... don't tell me that the ZE is getting too slow for you and now you're thinking of a bigger engine transplant? hehehehe!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
^ nah Mike. I'm just interested in his setup. I don't have a problem with the speed I receive from the gze, just that it doesn't rev like an NA ge.

....maybe turbo next year?...unless I get that KE35 that a friend's neighbour has.:p:
 

·
Mad Scientist-In-Training
Joined
·
922 Posts
TRDemon said:
I have friend who has a AE86 fastback and he install an engine from a altezza and my word it feels good :D. But here is the fun part he is going slap a turbo on that baby. so that thing just pull like mad. i'll keep you all posted
PJ Bonifacio did the same here in the US.

AE86 Levin with a Altezza front clip, turbocharged.

It's in the Sept issue of SCC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
in my opinion:
why not just hunt for the altezza tranny instead of the whole front clip which is gonna cost you an arm and a leg. I would rather pick up an ST185 3sgte and custom mounts brackets and whatever and then bolt on the tranny, while running stand-alone.

I geuss thats just me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
hachi_slow said:
^ nah Mike. I'm just interested in his setup. I don't have a problem with the speed I receive from the gze, just that it doesn't rev like an NA ge.

....maybe turbo next year?...unless I get that KE35 that a friend's neighbour has.:p:

Alvin, I'm convinced it's the GZE cams, I'm going to swap my NA cams in my car over the winter. The NA motor with the turbo ...felt just like the NA motor, except with a shit-load of torque, it would rev like no tomorrow. My 8.9:1 GZE block has better compression than my old NA block (compression test) and with the GZE cams it just feels like all the action happens before 3000 rpm, big surge of power, then the power band is just flat and boring all the way to 7k. I'd definitely take the NA cammed motor off the line, and make more torque, but the NA motor was much more fun, it just felt like it was pulling harder and harder all the way to redline.

Neil
 

·
Immortal
Joined
·
332 Posts
neil85AE86 said:
Alvin, I'm convinced it's the GZE cams, I'm going to swap my NA cams in my car over the winter. The NA motor with the turbo ...felt just like the NA motor, except with a shit-load of torque, it would rev like no tomorrow. My 8.9:1 GZE block has better compression than my old NA block (compression test) and with the GZE cams it just feels like all the action happens before 3000 rpm, big surge of power, then the power band is just flat and boring all the way to 7k. I'd definitely take the NA cammed motor off the line, and make more torque, but the NA motor was much more fun, it just felt like it was pulling harder and harder all the way to redline.

Neil
It's not the cams... it's just the nature of a forced induction motor. The engine will make a lot more torque, therefore you won't feel the high-end pull as much as you would with an n/a motor, which makes much less torque. FYI, the smallport 4AG uses the same camshaft profile as the 4AGZE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
neil85AE86 said:
Alvin, I'm convinced it's the GZE cams, I'm going to swap my NA cams in my car over the winter. The NA motor with the turbo ...felt just like the NA motor, except with a shit-load of torque, it would rev like no tomorrow. My 8.9:1 GZE block has better compression than my old NA block (compression test) and with the GZE cams it just feels like all the action happens before 3000 rpm, big surge of power, then the power band is just flat and boring all the way to 7k. I'd definitely take the NA cammed motor off the line, and make more torque, but the NA motor was much more fun, it just felt like it was pulling harder and harder all the way to redline.

Neil
Neil... i know a "guy" whose running a MAP ZE and he's going or already using bluetop cams. i guess this is the reason why eh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
yup

micro214_kp61 said:
Neil... i know a "guy" whose running a MAP ZE and he's going or already using bluetop cams. i guess this is the reason why eh?
probably, it's a pretty popular swap;

Kwanza, I don't believe this statement, "FYI, the smallport 4AG uses the same camshaft profile as the 4AGZE." ..the power curves are just too different, boosted or not, the peaks should remain at the same RPM, probably higher if anything on a boosted engine since it probably has larger exhaust, so it would breath better on both intake and exhaust sides, and I don't care what it says somewhere on the web, if someone has an unopened OEM smallport NA motor I'd like to measure the cams. The smallport NA has higher HP peak rpm than a largeport NA motor which has higher lift and duration cams than a GZE, does the smallport breath that much better.. maybe.

Neil
 

·
Immortal
Joined
·
332 Posts
Re: yup

neil85AE86 said:
probably, it's a pretty popular swap;

Kwanza, I don't believe this statement, "FYI, the smallport 4AG uses the same camshaft profile as the 4AGZE." ..the power curves are just too different, boosted or not, the peaks should remain at the same RPM, probably higher if anything on a boosted engine since it probably has larger exhaust, so it would breath better on both intake and exhaust sides, and I don't care what it says somewhere on the web, if someone has an unopened OEM smallport NA motor I'd like to measure the cams. The smallport NA has higher HP peak rpm than a largeport NA motor which has higher lift and duration cams than a GZE, does the smallport breath that much better.. maybe.

Neil
Simple physics dude. In an n/a motor, the engine breathes on its own and the torque is delivered in a very linear fashion, as in little at the bottom and increasing as the engine speeds up. Remember, horsepower is measured as torque*RPM over 5252... so in essence more torque in the low rpms can potentially make more power assuming the revolutions can hold up the same. In a forced induction motor's case, the blower (supercharger or turbo) compresses air and breathes for the engine, making a lot more torque in the low rpms in comparison to an n/a motor. That alone alters completely the entire horsepower formula. The torque does not increase with the revolutions as in the n/a's case. The torque is delivered in a very flat way (once boost kicks in) and the torque will maintain itself assuming boost is kept at the same levels. The engine cannot out-breathe the forced induction, hence the flat torque delivery. That's why you don't feel the high-end pull. The camshafts have a little to do with this and they alter very little when comparing the two stock profiles. As for bigport vs. smallport, the only reason the bigport makes slightly more torque, is because of the velocity increase created by the TVIS system. The velocity increase, increases low-end response in similar fashion to the Toyota FE head design (based on restriction), but does not significantly increase top-end potential because the torque is created from restriction. The Smallport is designed small to eliminate that system, but attempts to increase intake velocity by utilizing smaller intake ports and higher compression which resulted in less low-end torque, but much better high-end pull. And yes... I have compared the two. The cam profiles again, have little to do with each of the engine's characteristics. Interchanging camshafts from bigport to smallport, however, does create some gains because the engine will have a larger cam profile to breathe from, but that's not neccesarily the case with forced induction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Re: Re: yup

Kwanza said:
Simple physics dude.
OK, simple evidence "dude";

take a stock largeport, give it 7 pounds of boost, and the HP peak is higher in the powerband than in NA form (6950 RPM was actual), in-fact the shape of the curve is very similar to NA form, just exaggerated and the engine feels just like a stock 3 rib, largeport motor...just exaggerated, if your simple physics is correct then boost should have altered the curve drastically;



Neil
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top