Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I am new with ae86 so I have some guestions about it!

I am swapping a sr20det into my ae86 so what exactly do I need to do so?
I have the complete motor with tranny, minus ecu (sr20det), wallbro fuel pump, 180sx jdm harness(sr20det harness) complete uncut, so whatelse do I need to swap it into an ae86?

Thanks!

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
1,273 Posts
Ummm....

You take out the old engine and put in the new one.

You'll only get help if you ask a specific question.

·
Registered
28 Posts
custom engine mounts, tranny mount, custom driveshaft, possible cross member modification, custom radiator, possible custom throttle cable many many more things. Your going to need that ecu if you dont run megasquirt or something. Going to be one hell of a wireing job as well.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
www.dorikaze.com

one of the guys there put together an AE86 with an SR20DET last year, however he already took it apart and sold it for parts.. because it wasn't enjoyable enough, it was mainly a track car because it wasn't really enjoyable or driveable on the street.

Do research dude, no one that I know on this site has done a similar swap, so chances are demanding questions here is gonna get you nowhere. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I know that is going to be kind hard find good info for this type of swap but that is ok! I am getting enought info from here and other forums out there, that is ok i really appreciate those who can give any good info!
Thanks all of you guys and I hope get as much as possible info to make my ae86 a really fast and driveble car possible!
And Ren69 what made your friend to say that the ae86sr is not a driveble street car!?
Thanks man!

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
1,273 Posts
You have the standard ECU + Loom right?
Then run that, use a standard 180sx gauge cluster, and fit it into you dash.

Engine mounts should be pretty easy if you know how to weld.

My brother is installing a sr20de from an s14 into his 1980 datsun sunny (rally car) He had to have custom PS lines made as he is running an ae86 power steering rack, with the s14 PS pump.

Another area he had trouble was with the sump clearence over the crossmember, he ended up making Some very odd looking engine mounts to mount the engine as far back and as low as possible.

Its odd for someone attemting this to be asking such broad questions, it's sort of a case of if you have to ask you can't do it.

Are you planning to do it yourself? have you don't anything like this before?
How much progress have you made?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the standard ECU + Loom, standard 180sx gauge cluster, I knew about the sump clearence over the crossmember that is why I'll have to costum a shifter hole (because of moving the engine as far back and as low as possible (as ur brother has done), and the thing is that I've done 4 nissans 240sx with sr20det and some with ka24de+t, 2 acuras integra with b20 and 1 civic with b18 and I have everything to do the ae86sr but not started it yet! I am costuming my driveshaft, crossmember and all the weldding stuff (includding my rollcage).So that is why I am asking to make sure that I am not missing nothing in this swap.
As I said "I am a newbie with toyota" but not with cars and bikes.lol
Thanks man for the info.! And if you have more info let me know i can be missing it!

·
4AFESPEED
93 Geo Prizm
269 Posts
TRDwasiq said:
damm man sr in 86 well i gota see this one
Its kinda weird, Nismo meets TRD

kinda like putting a chevy 350 in a mustang or something.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
TRDwasiq said:
damm man sr in 86 well i gota see this one
I never get sick of posting these pics (yes I've already done it on this forum a few times) :D

After it was done :wowza:

After a year of having it together.. this is what it looks like now. :sosad:

This is why the SR86 got take appart, Steve bought this baby and now it's his new toy. :D

·
Kliddybaba!
AE92 Sedan
380 Posts
would probably be alot better idea to drop a 20v silver or black (not to mention easier) in it rather then an sr... it's almost blasphemy...

·
4AFESPEED
93 Geo Prizm
269 Posts
even a stock sr20 would be pretty wicked in an ae86. That motor looks right at home.

G

·
if were going nissan and making it a bitch to swap an engine, why not just go qr25de the spev-v engine. its got 185tq ;)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
ghost_ryder35 said:
if were going nissan and making it a bitch to swap an engine, why not just go qr25de the spev-v engine. its got 185tq ;)
ahh.. what tranny are you planning on using? and why would i kill myself installing that if i can get a boosted 200+hp on an SR20DET?

if i were going nissan... i'll go RB26DET

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
1,273 Posts
micro214_kp61 said:
if i were going nissan... i'll go RB26DET
But If you go down that road you know the 2JZ is better.

I agree though, the SR make perfect sense.
Late model high power engine that's already setup for RWD.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts