Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
AE92 4AGE smallport - PROGRESS PICS

i got a real problem guys, i am doing a 4AF (carbed) to 4AGE smallport swap this weekend, i took the engine out of my parts car like a year ago and ive been painting and refurbishing everypiece since, but now i have run into a problem...
i cant remember the fuel line setup and it seems to be the only thing i didnt take a picture of...
The pump line gets attached to the ... fuel filter?
then from the fuel filter to the fuel rail...
which line gets connected to the charcoal cannister?
i know theres a fuel fuel feed line and a fuel return line, but what is the third line?
if someone could explain what gets connected to what...that would be great
any help is appreciated

[

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
there should be a 3rd separate line for the charcol canister.... i know for a fact in aw11's there is....

lines should go:

tank/pump - filter - main line on rail (feed the banjo bolt to tighten down) - pressure regulator - tank

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so there are 3 lines...???

1: the feed line that gets connected to the fuel filter and then to the fuel rail..right?

2: the return line that gets connected to the fuel regulator?

3: is this line the vent line that gets connected to the charcoal cannister?

any further explaination would be great..

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
As far as I know, yes. I would have to double check on my ae92.... however, I have pulled a pump (and had a different spare as well) from an mk1 mr2 and it has 3 lines on it.

depending on what electronics you use, you may end up pulling off the vacuum line that you have so meticulously cleaned the hard portion, replaced the rubber portion, and installed new hardware for.... looks like you have a JDM motor and you kept the map line connected.

·
Slacker Extrordinaire.
1992 Corolla DLX 4D
173 Posts
yep...that motor gives me a woody..

·
AE92DX 4AFTE
ae92
1,749 Posts
you need to fuel the fuel lines off an efi 4afe or 4age. your 4af doesn't have an in-tank pump it uses a mechanical pump turned by the intake cam-shaft.

the lines can be traced under the car but i have removed my charcoal canister and just left a check valve in place.

if i remember correctly your return line connects your fuel pressure regulator to a 'hard' line that travels along the fire wall and then all 3 of them bundle together all the way to the tank

·
Registered
853 Posts
Post some pics of the car this is going in. I could swing by some time to help out if its a ae92:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in Ontario, Canada ... i am currently in college for Engineering, this is my current project.

i removed and refurbished the gas tank (yes, it is an in-tank fuel pump), i also have a refurbished radiator cause the one that came out of the parts car was past its time.

The engine is a JDM smallport 4AGE with a MAF ... not a MAP engine like someone was asking. I replaced all of the internal hardware with ARP hardware (ARP head studs, rod bolts, and main bolts). The crankshaft was polished and i replaced all of the internal bearings. It got a full engine rebuild kit from Toyota (around $200 CAD for all gaskets and seals) and the head was sent out for a complete rebuild (around $250 CAD). Most of the rest of the pieces of the engine got sandblasted and then painted with high temp enamel paint.

I am currently in the middle of switching over the wiring harness from the 4AF one to the 4AGE. But i am doing the swap in my garage at home...which is a one car garage, so it may take me a week or too, considering that my tool selection is limited at my house.

Anyways, i would like someone to further explain the fuel line setup, just so i am clear.

ill update my pics tonight

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Smallport in Japan didn't come with an AFM (no MAF on 4age's).... the vacuum line/hardline coming from the vacuum port bolted to the middle of the manifold and goes off to the left with a hardline that bolts to the side of the manifold..... that's the vacuum line for a stock Map sensor, you don't need it if you plan to run US electronics.

I'm not asking, I'm telling.

·
AE92DX 4AFTE
ae92
1,749 Posts
running US electronics would entail getting an afml, ecu blah blah if he does have a map sensor small-port i would definitely leave it that way.

i don't think anybody has answered your questions because we don't understand what the problem is...

under your car there are 3 lines coming from your tank it shouldn't be hard to figure out which of the two is a feed and return and then lastly the vapor line.

not much too it right? you can jump your diagnostics terminal in the engine bay to turn the pump on with the car off. you can figure out which lines squirts gas shouldn't be difficult.

honestly it should look like it all fits together just see which lines are longest, prob gonn be return hard-line, and the charcoal line is the shortest but not by much since the feed line terminates at the filter.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the engine has an AFM and US electronics, but everytime i go by Toyota to get a part they ask me American or Japanese made, and they told me that if the VIN# starts with a J...then its from Japan....which mine does

so when u say im not asking im telling, be sure you know for sure, because these engines were made in just about every set-up you can think of, and used all over the world. Maybe Toyota could be wrong then, i dunno...

all i know is that it has an AFM not a MAP, and i have the matching wiring harness...i dunno how this conversation got all the way here but anyway...

thanks jmaz87, i think i got it, it is fairly simple, i understand now...

and again i will update the pics when i get home

·
AE92DX 4AFTE
ae92
1,749 Posts
these were the best pics i could take of my stock 4afe

if you want to see my fuel-lines i will post but don't think the 4afte setup would help, only confuse:rolleyes:

·
AE92DX 4AFTE
ae92
1,749 Posts
1st pic shows return line coming off rail to the hard-line that meets the other 2 by driverside firewall then all 3 go underneath

2nd pic shows charcoal line going down next to the feed line (filter is obscured by brake booster)

·
Homer Lusk Collyer
AE92
1,144 Posts
the engine has an AFM and US electronics, but everytime i go by Toyota to get a part they ask me American or Japanese made, and they told me that if the VIN# starts with a J...then its from Japan....which mine does
That is where it was made but it doesn't have anything to do with the electronics. If you have a AFM, it has USDM electronics even if it was made in Japan.

USDM = US Domestic Market (made to be sold in USA, not made in USA)

toyotaspeed90 is one of the most informed and reliable people on this board. So when he tells you something, it's usually good to listen. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay, i got it, so mine is a USDM smallport 4AGE (made in Japan to be sold to America), thanks for clarifying, i am still learning, and thanks to all the rest of you for your help, i appreciate it

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
here are some pics

the blue car is the 1991 Corolla GTS with the USDM smallport 4AGE (parts car), the black car is the daily driver... its a 1988 Corolla SR5 with a 4AF

well i think that just about sums it up

·
Homer Lusk Collyer
AE92
1,144 Posts
That's a nice looking AE92. Classy but not overdone. Good job.

I like the rear side marker delete. Looks better than the blacked out one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks, i dont like those body kits that people buy, i think i may do a lip with some fibreglass in the summer

·
Registered
853 Posts
I was trying to catch you last summer (I think) on my way to the gf's place (steeles and kennedy). When I'm down that way I could stop by and check this out some time. And I hope you kept the vin's from the gts or you know somebody that will get you an "e-test".

1 - 20 of 56 Posts