Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im looking at another ae92. had a sedan before. but i found a gts for a good price.

but im not really sure what to look at since i dont have any experience with the 4age motor. other than the basic maintenance stuff....

common issues?
problems?

body wise isnt somthing to worry about...rust shouldnt be an issue if its a california car.

any help or imput?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
the 4age is a good engine. its one of those engines that you can beat on all day long. it truely is one of toyotas true sports engine. the one thing about 4ag is at this age 20+ yrs old. they either burn oil or leak. as long as you feed them oil i guess they keep going.

·
Registered
Corolla & Avensis
723 Posts
As long as it isn't spewing out any blue of white smoke out the tailpipe and everything sounds and feels good it should be running for years to come :D
Just test drive it, give it a propper tuneup if you do buy the car and all will be well.
Although it's a lot harder, even 4A-GE's can break. So it will always be a risk in buying a car this old with a unknown history.

But other than the usual things that can happen to an engine if it hasn't had propper maintanance (Sludge, running hot, raffeled timing belt, etc, etc) there are no real problems with the 4A-GE's themselfs.

But do check if it doens't have the well known problem of '5th gear pop-out'
The gearboxes sometimes have the tendency to pop-out of 5th gear when they were abused in the past or from old age. ;)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
lol 80% of 4age spew out blue smoke because they burn oil. white smokes the one to watch out for. yup i second the 5th gear pop out thing. toyota actually redesigned the syncros to try and fight this. just put it in 5th and accelerate. if it pops out then you know the 5th gear syncro is shot.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks guys.

no smoke on start up. thats for sure.

basically the brakes...fluid needs to be blead. pedals mushy

cluch is pretty good. gears engage just fine. just the shifter feels a loose on neutral....either it needs bushings or im just used to my honda.

fluids needa be changed(as required of course)

body...no rust..only rust is on sunroof. no biggie can take care of that.

enigine

oil leaks on the exhaust manifold side....valve cover gasket?

asthetics seem like the only real main issue. i really want it. i hope i get it

thanks alot for the help guys!

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
the gaskets always leak... change them as well as the fluids and you'll be good.

the rust is probably minor surface rust, it's a california car so it won't be anywhere close to the northern rust.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
yea your honda shifter is probabally tighter since it is a solid linkage. toyota uses cables. the only way to really tighten up the shifting is brass shifting bushings for the shift linkage and maybe replace your old worn out sqaure bushing by the shifter fork.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts