Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok....we're not too sure if its overheating because of the coolant, or because of the thermostat, or because of the temperature swich and the connector. More than likely, though, we think it is the connector. because when we took it to the mechanic, he told us it was that part on the temperature switch that includes the white connector and the wire. But, what im wonderin is, how do i replace the connector?? or should i just replace the temperature switch and/or the thermostat?....someone please answer

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ds the fan come on? If it does then change the thermostat. Thats the easiest part to replace. If it doesnt then you get to trouble shoot the electronics. Its really not as hard as it sounds. Most of the stuff works on 12volts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ok now I'll get into the electronics with you. I want to start off by saying my overheating problem is not solved yet so take this with a grain of hops, And I am by no means a Prof mech. Also my girlfriend ran the car sooo hot she blew the radiator. After I replace the radiator I noticed white smoke coming from the tailpipe which usually means a blown head gasket. I took it to my neighborhood mechanic who said he could do a head job for 1700$ and that with the high miles I have I should try a can of head gasket sealer (you have to follow the directions explicitly) that worked for about 25000 more miles. My fan does not come on so I bought 12volt jumper wire at Sears and alligator clips at Radio shack and hot wired the fan to the battery and it worked fine. The Haynes book explains how to test the relay good and my relay tested ok (jumper 12 volts to the correct prongs and measure the Ohms on the opposing prongs) . The water temp gauge was working in the dash so I did not think that was the prob. Since the relay tested ok I probed the female ends of the fuse box to see if there was a change in voltage when the car got hot to trigger the relay and saw none. So I assume the trouble is between the water temp sensor and the relay. The only thing I thought was there was the ECM. I snagged a used one at the salvage yard and grabbed the relay while I was there. Replaced the ECM and put in the other used relay. Still no good. The only thing I have not changed yet is the water pump. The Haynes book says you should hear bearings squeeling and when hot if you squeese the top hose you should feel back pressure. I feel none so I am going to put in a water pump, even though I hear no noise. Will update when I get some results. This should give you some places to look.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts