Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend recently bought a 1991 Toyota Corolla and it has been working great up until about a month ago. When she first bought it, it never did this but now when we get up to speed the motor revs really loud as if it still has another gear to shift into. It does this at about 40 or 50+ mph and especially at highway speeds. It was never this loud but now it just seems to normally run with the engine higher up in the RPMs. I'm not quite sure where to start looking as I don't know too much about Corolla's in general. The car has 110K with the timing chain changed at 67K so I know I need to change that soon.

Not sure if this might be related, but the car also has difficulty starting. When the engine is cold, the motor just turns but does not fire until you stop cranking and crank again...then it will start up slowly puttering. When it is warm it does not have this problem.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I know Corolla's are good cars so I hope I will be able to fix this problem.

Ivan

G

·
1.its a timing belt not a timing chain
2. hard start when cold is do to the Engine Temperature sensor (ACDELCO Part # 2134035)
3. try changing/flushing the transmission fluid to get it to stop hanging around in the high revs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I meant timing belt thanks for the correction. My car has a timing chain. The hard start could be related to the Engine Temperature sensor. I'll take a look at that. As far as changing the transmission fluid, wouldn't that only help out shifting? It seems that the car is shifting into every gear. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for the response and any other help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To help in describing the high RPMs it just seems like the car is very winey. It is not having problems shifting gears but rather the motor all-together is very winey. I know what it's like when the car is shifting out of gear (it wines really loud as if it is in neutral) so I know this is not the problem. Plus I had checked the tranny fluid not too long ago and it looked redish and where it should be. It just almost seems like the timing is off or something. I tried searching high revs, loud engine, high rpms, etc. but have not found anything. Maybe the car is just normally loud? Also, the speedometer is 5mph fast but I think it is because it has slightly taller tires. What is the standard tire height for these cars? Please share any and all insight.

·
Danno
1989 corolla GT-S
1,502 Posts
The ae92's rev pretty high at highways speeds, i bleive im around 3 grand at about 50-60 MPH (this is normal) if the car is loud, whats you exhaust like ? any leaks ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. Well, it is good to know that they rev pretty high at highway speeds. It just seems weird because it didn't really used to be so loud. I would compare RPMs but the car does not come with a tach. If I had to guess, I would have to say the motor is probably around 4000 RPMs at 70mph but I could be wrong. The exhaust sounds fine and there aren't any leaks that I am aware of. Plus the car does have lower miles than normal at 110K for a 91 and the last people who owned it took good care of it.

Also, where can I find the Engine Temperature sensor? And would this be the cause of a hard start when it is cold? It cranks at normal speed so I know it is not the battery or starter. It just barely wants to start but it does slowly puttering only when it is cold. Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Danno
1989 corolla GT-S
1,502 Posts
the ETS sensor wouldnt cause a ruff start... im not sure what your problem is, ive never experienced it with mine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts