Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Kliddybaba!
AE92 Sedan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i know that the chassis for the ae92 gts and the ae92 sedan were the same, but my question is this; will an after market exhaust for an ae92 gts fit onto the 4afe headers as well as fit under the car in the same way the stock sedan exhaust fits with no modifications, or with minimal modification? if not, what exhausts did people use for their ae92 sedans? did you just get one bent out at an exhaust shop, or did you buy the pieces and put them together/have them put together? if so, where did you get your exhaust parts? thanx in advance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The GTS exhaust manifold looks longer and has 2 supports at the botton while the sedan's is shorter and only has 1 support. You would probably would have to change the manifold to get the front GTS pipe on. The other issue is that the catalytic converter (and midle pipe) is different depending if your car has a carburator 1988-89 or fuel injected 1990. The early models have an air injection system to pump air into the cat to meet smog regulations and no O2 sensor on the front pipe.
Hope the info helps.

Rickrolla
1991 Corolla Wagon 440,000km
1992 Previa 5 Speed 328,000km

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would also welcome some advice on a performance cat back for my g/f's '92 sedan...
which still has the original exhaust from the cat back.
I'm not looking for something loud...
just something that provides better performance.
Anyone have any advice ?
Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
AE 92 Sedan Cat Back Exhaust: Feedback Needed!

I've Googled high and low and I can't find a supplier for a perofrmance cat back for the 4 door '92 sedan. So, here's my plan. I'll probably just do an OE cat to axle piece and then have a Msgnaflow 2" muff custom installed as the rear muff. I'm hoping that the the front OE resonator will help to quiet things down since if it's too loud, the g/f will not be happy.

Does anyone have any feedback on a similar type installation?
My thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
If you cannot find a complete cat-back you might just go to your nearest muffler shop and have them make you a system with about a 2" diameter. That might cost you about $300 - $500 I am guessing. I had a 2" pipe made for my Tercel from the headder back for about $290, with a 2" muffler. Not loud but nice deep sound. No resonator.
You can get headders on E-bay for about $200.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Donald said:
If you cannot find a complete cat-back you might just go to your nearest muffler shop and have them make you a system with about a 2" diameter. That might cost you about $300 - $500 I am guessing. I had a 2" pipe made for my Tercel from the headder back for about $290, with a 2" muffler. Not loud but nice deep sound. No resonator.
You can get headders on E-bay for about $200.
+1

A local exhaust shop is the best place to get an aftermarket exhaust for your corolla. The best shop near my place in MN charges $250 for a custom cat-back, and $350 for a cat-back + new cat. Go hunt around the yellow pages or some local car forums and see what's in your area.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rassig said:
I can't find a supplier for a performance cat back for the 4 door '92 sedan. So, here's my plan. I'll probably just do an OE cat to axle piece and then have a Magnaflow 2" muff custom installed as the rear muff. I'm hoping that the the front OE resonator will help to quiet things down since if it's too loud, the g/f will not be happy. Does anyone have any feedback on a similar type installation? My thanks in advance.
OK, here's what was done:
-2" Magnaflow satin SS oval muff, 14" body, offset in, center out
(I paid only $55 shipped! )
-12" long, 2" ID SS exhaust pipe aft of the muff.
-replaced the OE downpipe with a 2" aluminized custom version.
(the O2 sensor flange was in bad shape)
-2" custom aluminized pipe w/ a louvered 14" long resonator just aft of the cat

Even though it wasn't mandrel bent, the bends do look pretty smooth for "crush bent",
and I figured a 2" is gotta be better than what appears to be 1.75" OE pipe.
Even worse was where the exhaust pipe is joined to back of the rear muffler...
that looked like it was "pinched down" to 1.5" ! Argh.

How it turned out:
-Overall, deeper and lower than OE, but very civilized. Almost too quiet.
-Nice sounding idle.
-Only really noticable when you jump on the gas full throttle, and then sounds nice & beefy.
-No drone at all on the highway... OE quiet. Very nice & smooth tone.
-Absolutely no harshness or the dreaded "bees in a tin can" sound.
-Really nice & clean welds and custom hangers. (I gotta take some pics)
-The simple 2" SS exhaust tip looks stealthy, yet you can tell it's not a OE "peashooter".
-Plus, the system is tucked up nice and tight, yet no clunking or rattles.
-The shop that did is Delgado's on Western near Armitage... they did great job!

And yes, my butt dyno indicates a bit more performance! ;)
I'll report later on any mileage improvements, if any.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts