Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Toys
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I have browsed the forums to try to not repeat questions, but so hard to sift through everything on here or know what to look for exactly. So here's the deal. I want a fast and fun car again. I love my 90 corolla sedan but I don't want to do anything major to it due to it being my daily driver. So I thought about getting an AE92 gts but those are hard to find here in the midwest, or at a reasonable price. So I figured what the hell, I'll just build my own gts. I was planning to find another ae92 sedan like mine, preferably one that is fuel injected and could care less about the condition of the engine due to it coming out anyway. More concerned about a straight body with little or no rust, and just from doing a few searches and inquiries, shouldn't be a huge issue or cost a lot of money. I even thought about a mk1 mr2, but they are hard to come by as well or people want too much for them it seems. I may not rule this out.

Ok so on for the plans. I've read that a 90 sedan like mine, base model, weighs roughly 2350 lbs. Are any of the 88-89s lighter and if so, would they be fuel injected or only the carburated models? I'd like to stick with EFI due to less hassle when swap time comes around. Either way, a 90 sedan would still be fairly light after some weight savings measures. I would like to do a 4agze swap. Probably thinking out of a gtz levin, as they do have more hp stock and I think this swap would bolt in easier compared to a 4agze out of a mki mr2. Also, I would refreshen this engine. Throw in some pistons, rods, some head work. Any recommendations on shops in the mid west that can do this? Finally, what kind of hp numbers at the wheels would I be looking at seeing with a mildly built engine running stock sc12? I've heard that an Eaton m62 can be swapped on and if thats the case, I may upgrade to this later, but for starting out I'ld like to know the potential of this setup.

Finally, for suspension matters, I know I'll need parts off of a gts to mount front and rear sways and for rear disc conversion as well as for the strut housings to run most aftermarket suspension setups it looks like. What parts will I need specifically? I think I read mainly due to the strut housings? This shouldn't be a major issue as I know someone with a gts parts car. Reason why I don't try to do anything with that vehicle is that its very rusted out and body itself has numerous dents and seen much better days. So I guess this is it for now. I know it will be a daunting project, but I got the time and no major bills for a while, so figured build myself something fun and sleeperish. Any input you guys have would be great. Thank you.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,665 Posts
Every question you've asked has already been asked before, so I don't see how searching didn't come up with anything for you. :)

Why would it matter if its a carbed or EFI sedan? you're doing a GZE swap, you still would have to upgrade your fuel system and everything else regardless.

The GZE out of an MR2 is probably easier to find than the GZE out of a Levin, but you're right it be easier to just get the Levin GZE since the transmission is already there.

As for the GTS suspension.. take everything you can! :D

·
Living on a Rock
1,721 Posts
i have see one... there is a guy that has one running a 4agze motor. called the blue bomber? i think his website is ae92gts.com

yeah that was it... here is the link

http://ae92gts.com/home.html

look for the ae92 sedan sc link on the left side.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Afaik you can use the mr2 transmission you just have to modify the linkage so that its not a mirror image as an mr2 has the engine mounted like a FWD car its just behind the seats and the shift lever is up front.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts