Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
instead of posting pics in one thread, thought i'd just make a new thread for all to see. this is the afe stage 2 intake from 08/09 scion xB on my 09 XRS.

you will see i've had to do some custom stuff to make it fit and work properly but nothing major. the blueish foam behind the heat shield is there to prevent the heat shield from bumping against the strut bar during engine movement thus creating unwanted noise. took me a while to figure out what was causing the rattle, for those with the stock xrs damper should not have this issue as the bar is quite thin, but if you do you know what to do.

and ofcourse the heat shield bracket doesnt line up with the battery bracket but zipties works well too. lol

i was also looking at other xB intakes (CAI's) but with those i think the vibra mount bracket might not line up so you might have to drill another hole into the frame.

this is the best intake for its price, good build quality, good sound.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Ah debating once again!

Hmm.. I'm sure I'll most likely get one thats designed to actually fit to the Xrs, I don't think my Dad would let me buy a intake and do some minor modifications to have it fix properly. I'll probably be looking into the Injen or K&N CAI

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Ah debating once again!

Hmm.. I'm sure I'll most likely get one thats designed to actually fit to the Xrs, I don't think my Dad would let me buy a intake and do some minor modifications to have it fix properly. I'll probably be looking into the Injen or K&N CAI
If you want I might be interested in selling you my Injen CAI with the water jacket.

IF i'm going to go for the afe stage 2 haha. video's will be posted up in my thread in a bit.

I might do it here as well just so people don't have to look around.

EDIT: heres the video

first take i put my pocket camera 720p under the front passenger headrest, merging onto the highway

I didn't like the sound quality so i tried holding it, along with my failed mini tunnel with 2 open windows.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would the intake work without the shield thingy? it looks very restricted
without the heat shield there would not be enough support to hold the filter and piping in place.

its blocks warm/hot heat from entering through the intake. so taking it off would make it a regular SRI
yup, without the heathshield it would be like weapon-r's sri, which is what i replaced in the first place.

the heat shield does a good job of keeping the air temps normal and not run hot, the piping is also all made of plastic so it doesnt soak up heat from the engine bay. its not restrictive at all. it also prevents the filter from just hanging there exposed to the elements.

Diamoala, i'd say get the K&N intake with the heat shield, its better then getting the CAI , easy maintainance and no worries about driving in puddles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts