Toyota Nation Forum banner

after fueling up, bad start

37K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  kurtcolt 
#1 ·
pretty self explanatory.. everytime i pump gas.. when i start the car itll die then i start it again and it runs fine.. my guess is either sparkplugs or fuel injectors.. anyone have any other ideas?

01' 5sfe

#2 ·
trickyazn said:
pretty self explanatory.. everytime i pump gas.. when i start the car itll die then i start it again and it runs fine.. my guess is either sparkplugs or fuel injectors.. anyone have any other ideas?

01' 5sfe
Are you sure, it's after everytime you fuel up, it doesn't staart fine?

When you fuel up? Do you put in a full tank? What happens if you fuel up, but not a full tank?? Your spark plugs and fuel injectors shouldnt be affected by a fuel up.

Are you pumping too much gas into your car?

#7 ·
Try fuel injector cleaners.

#8 ·
Ok this could make me sound dumb but…

I don’t know much about fuel systems and I know when I take the gas cap off to fill up there is a lot of low pressure air sucking in (not sure how to word it ><)

Do you hear the air sucking in when you take the gas cap off? Possible the cars computer is used to that pressure that’s all gone when you open the tank. Try filling up 20% early or so.

#9 ·
Why dont you try a few tests:

Test 1. Turn the engine off, remove gas cap, replace gas cap. Turn engine on, note what happens.

Test 2. Next time you go to the gas station, don't fill up all the way, fill to up to 75% or so, turn engine on, what happens>

Test 3. Fill up 100% and start car, note what happens.

When you are filling up, are you forcing more gas into your car even when the pump stops.

From what you described, it has nothing to do with fuel injectors and spark plugs

#10 ·
Are you filling up at the same Gas Station? The gas in the tanks at the station could be contaminated with water or dirt or just about anything.

Try another station or try some dry gas....

Wierd....

#12 ·
trickyazn said:
i never fill it up all the way.. i close the gas cap till it clicks alot

and yes its ONLY when i fuel up.. never any other time.. rough start after pumping some gas

edit: maybe too low of octane? i use 87 arco.. cause its the cheapest..

No, it's not a low octane problem. Based on the information you;ve given us,
It has to be something to do with
1. pressure in the gas tank.
2. the sensors trigger something and then feeding wrong info to the ECU, then the ECU adjusts itself to correct the correct amount of air/fuel mixture, the next time you start up, it's fine. That is the only thing I can think of. I do know the ECU is smart enough to adjust accordingly to changing fuel octane levels, oxygen levels, etc. My guess is a sensor or ECU problem.

Camry's do have a sensor which detects the gas pressure.

If it were bad gas, octane, etc, you would experience the rough idle everytime you start up, etc, not after you fill up.

Are you running your tank near empty?

Your problem is odd.

Not octane problem because there are millions of Camry's out there using 87 octane and someone would have posted something here by now. I run with 87 octane too. Besides octane problems dont happen just after a fill up, that makes no sense what so ever.

#13 ·
I'm thinking you should try the gas cap thing, because that sounds like a logical solution.

However at your car's age, you might be stirring up gunk whenever you fill up, and when you start, the sediment hasn't settled yet and it gets into the fuel system. That would cause it to run rough. Try waiting a while before starting the car next time and see what happens...

#14 ·
There is a "cure" for allot of Fuel systems out there called a Motor Vac. I have had this done to my 1994 LeSabre Limited and I will tell you it really worked. It sounds "gimicky" but it is not. It flushes out your whole system. Gets all the CRAP out. I noticed the difference the next day driving to work. I went from 25 mpg to 28 mpg on my LeSabre 3.8L 6 cylynder.

This Machine does not simply push cleaner through your fuel system...It Vacs it out by disconnecting the pressure and return lines, they are able to flush the fuel rail cleaning out each injector screen.

I am NO Tech...I am a cynic though. The proof was in the puddin for me...:)

#16 ·
Are you overfilling youre tank, getting raw fuel in the evac system? I've seen countless people at the gas stations click, click, clicking the fuel nozzle to get that last drop in. I click it one time after it shuts off and never had any issues.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

#17 ·
"bdarnold" hit on something here. Possibly at one time the tank got topped off, which caused fuel to be sucked into the evap canister at one time. When you fuel it then gets momentarily saturated, which in turn the ecm opens the purge valve and a gross amount of vapors are sucked into the intake causing a rich condition ( the engine runs rough.) By the time you restart the engine the condition is gone, and the engine runs good. On some cars you can remove the evap canister and clean with soapy water and let it dry quite well. Videos on youtube.
This is just a theory.

#18 ·
Its the purge valve located on the engine front valve cover. If the purge valve gets stuck open then fumes flood the intake while fueling up. This causes an extreme rich condition and it takes the motor many revolutions to get the air fuel mixture correct to actually run, then also it will take some extra time to clean up after running for a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.