Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tested the TPS on the wifeys 4 cylinder 1990 Corolla.
The engine will start and idle, give it throttle and the noise changes but no revs, just idle.
I tried testing the TPS mounted to the TB but was not sure the alligator clips was holding on. Removed the TPS and got the clips onto the terminals. Could get continuity only at WOT position or there abouts.
Looking in Rock Auto and there are quite a few brands of TPS units. All aftermarket I am sure.
The brands are, Facet, Beck Arnley, WVE, Standard Motor Products, NTK and Walker.
Has anyone had any experience with any of thses brands of parts and what a good recommendation would be.
I know on My American built autos I have had good experiences with the Standard Motor Products on ignition components when I could not get the OE parts.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
PS: this is the TPS that has three wires and is shaped sort of like a square box.
Thank You all in advance for any recommendations.
If the $150.00 OEM sensor is the best way to go, and it is still available brand new, the I guess that will be the way I will go.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
8,169 Posts
SMP has been around for ever and with a lot of parts different suppliers do certain parts better than ever.
I've used Beck brake parts in the past with no issue and If Bosch is listed for an electrical part I run away as if it said Made by Lucas. Go with what ya know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You very much sdspeed.
I have not yet checked with the local parts store that handles SM parts but I’m needing to get on it. Its been quite some bit below zero for about a week and the wifey has been driving My 2000 K3500 diesel Chevy. 😳😹😹😹

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
8,169 Posts
Just my .02 cents. Let us know if it resolves your issues.
Bummer, only a K3500 s a back up. :cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is on its way. Be Monday afore it arrives.
Thank You very much for helping me to make the decision, and, it is the Standard Motors brand.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just my .02 cents. Let us know if it resolves your issues.
Bummer, only a K3500 s a back up. :cool:
I most certainly will.
the guy that we got the car from handed us a Chiltons manual. Today I ordered a factory book, as recommended by one of the members in another similar thread.
That chiltons book does not cover any of the fine technical details, and, i imagine there is going to be a resistance reading to get the TPS properly installed and adjusted.

·
One with the farce
2,966 Posts
I’ve had no problems with Beck Arnley, used their stuff for a couple of decades

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve had no problems with Beck Arnley, used their stuff for a couple of decades
I had never heard of that brand before. I will keep that in mind though for future parts selections.
My friend was telling me that them older Toyotas are real dependable, people buy them and they just keep running and running.
I had to explaint to Him, that is them and this is Me.
We both got a huge old belly laugh out of that one. 😹🤣😹

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The new TPS arrived at the parts store yesterday. Went over and picked it up. It is even the proper style.
I know there must be special instructions for installing it so I am waiting for the book to get here. I think tracking said it will be here tomorrow.
I will do some searching and see if youtube will have the procedure.
Thats about all for now.
I most certainly hope this is why the engine does not rev. If it isnt I’ll be at a total loss and be hollering HELP ! ! ! ! 😹😹😹

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the book this afternoon. Read about installing and adjusting the TPS. Looks easy enough. Should be able to handle that ok.
Going to make a couple of pigtails with terminal ends and fit them on before screwing the TPS to the TB. It just seemed that when I was trying to clip to the terminals while the old TPS was still attached, it was a bit of a challenge.
Probably get started on that tomorrow, just feels like it now must be time for a snooze, then it’ll be time for supper, then, Oak Island and Life Below Zero will be on and cant miss those two. 😹😹😹😹

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
About the book. It was shy of 65 bucks on ebay, and I will say, the book is like new condition, not a smudge on any of the pages and what little reading I did in there, does an excellent job of explaining the procedures, with good pictures too. Something My finite mind needs a lot of. 😹😹😹

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
4,801 Posts
Sounds like you got the Toyota Repair Manual. I always recommend getting one of these. It will no doubt save you time and money and pay for itself.

Reactions: MrMarty51

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like you got the Toyota Repair Manual. I always recommend getting one of these. It will no doubt save you time and money and pay for itself.
Yup. Thats the one. When i seen the picture in the ebay add I was not sure if it was an original equipment book. I then looked at som other adds and came to the conclusion that it was.
That after market book sure does not explain a lot of the simple procedures, such as setting the TPS and i noticed several other items too.
Always nice to be working with original equipment, for whatever kind of a machine a person is tasked with.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
4,801 Posts
The repair manual explains how to check and install the TPS in the EFI System section. Page FI-64 in my 1990 repair manual for the 4A-FE engine. (Since the repair manual covers 4A-FE and 4A-GE you have to make sure you look at the right section.)

This is a simple TPS and only lets the computer know when the throttle is at idle or not, or wide open or not. It's not like newer TPS that will sense the angle. Having said that, I'm not sure that the TPS is your problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The repair manual explains how to check and install the TPS in the EFI System section. Page FI-64 in my 1990 repair manual for the 4A-FE engine. (Since the repair manual covers 4A-FE and 4A-GE you have to make sure you look at the right section.)

This is a simple TPS and only lets the computer know when the throttle is at idle or not, or wide open or not. It's not like newer TPS that will sense the angle. Having said that, I'm not sure that the TPS is your problem.
TPS was not the problem. Upon Your advice, I did be sure and set it as instructed.
Fired up the engine and problem persists. No codes set.
I did do a short video clip of engine running. Idles smooth as it should.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I installed the timing light, shorted the ALDL terminals across, smooth idle and when throttle is opened even part ways, engine cuts out and so does the timing light.
HELP ! ! ! !
I had worked as a mechanic on heavy equipment for the DOT, 31 years worth. Not much for cars or pickups. I know My way around the older GM pickups and trucks of all sizes, but, this car is all foreign to Me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I apologize for not filling in all the information on this car.
I helped a guy paint his rental house on exchange, only because the wifey really likes the car.
He had told me that it would occasionally stall, his wife let it set for a short time, it would fire up and run just fine. So i took the car knowing there was a problem.
He had done no maintenance, other than oil changes.
I went ahead and did the timing belt, new coolant pump, front crank seal, etc. figuring the fuel pump or the ignition control module was at fault, i purchased a new fuel pump and tank sock from Rock Auto. Not yet installed.
From NAPA i got a new complete distributor and installed that. It did come with new plug wires. I also replaced the cam cover gasket and sparking plugs using the recommended NGK plugs.
Now with the new TPS installed and the problem persists, does anyone have suggestions of what next to check ?

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
4,801 Posts
If the spark is stopping when it sputters, then it seems like an electrical related problem. On these cars the cam (G) and crank (NE) position sensor signals are all generated in the distributor, but you said you replaced that. Old spark plug wires would manifest as a single misfire first. Is the timing set about right near 10°BTDC?

How about the electrical grounds? There should be one from the negative battery terminal to the fender. The engine computer ground is somewhere under the intake, either on the bottom of the intake manifold or the back of the engine block. It should be 2+ brown wires I think coming to a single terminal bolted on.

The computer is located under the dash behind the center area, but these are usually pretty reliable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Timing is spot on, ten degrees at idle with the ALDL test terminals jumped across. With the jumper removed timing is towards the 15 degree mark.
I will remove and clean all the grounds and see how it does. If that does not pan out, I will get serious into the book and run through the distributor test procedures.
the engine did run real nice after doing all the work and installing the new distributor, for about 6 months.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts