Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I have a 2005 xB that's leaking from the windshield area. Here's the deal--when I bought it, the guy told me it had a leak in its recently-replaced windshield. I've had the windshield replaced THREE TIMES and water still appears in the car. Today the windshield guy said it's not the windshield. It doesn't have a sun/moonroof... before I spend $$$ troubleshooting, I thought I'd ask if you think it's possible that the window deflectors the original owner added could be causing this leak. Thoughts? Is this even possible? I know you might say, "try it" but before I do, I want to know if it's a harebrained idea.

·
2,723 Posts
Where is the water showing up/coming in? More specific then the windshield area.
What kind of wind deflectors are they and how do they mount?

·
2,723 Posts
Do you know if it's coming through the windshield area?

I Know that some of these deflectors do not have the notches in them for the little tabs that stick out of the window run. Some of them do have the indentations. If the tabs don't line up with the deflector or there aren't any area's recessed for the tabs in the deflector, then you need to either remove the tab or move it so it lines up.

This can sometimes cause leakage.

You can also check the condition of the moulding where the door and the body come together. Sometimes this moulding will get ripped or creased and allow water to come in.

Neither of these problems are commom but they can occur.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's definitely entering the car at the top by the windshield. The windshield repair people think there's water all in the roof and it's just entering above the windshield. Perhaps it's a leak in a weld? Such a mystery.
We're taking it to Toyota on Monday. Hopefully they can figure out where the leak's from. Thanks for your replies.

·
2,723 Posts
is your headliner getting wet?

It could be a defective weld in the roof panel hiding underneith the roof moulding?

·
2,723 Posts
Keep me informed. I'm curious what they find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the update-- took it to Toyota dealer, they said it was FOR SURE the windshield. Then we took it to the windshield place they recommended, and he says it's NOT the windshield and that there was a visible hold in the weld in the roof seam. They patched it with silicone (as well as replaced the windshield yet again) but now I have wasted 4 windshields. Insane. Hopefully it's fixed now.

·
2,723 Posts
crazy......did the dealer pay?

·
Toyota bB "Tribute"
05' Scion xB
16 Posts
I knew vent visors could be causing the leak. I have the JDM style ones with zero issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts