Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just have a question, I recently put my summer tires with rims back on, do I need to do alignment or anything like that everytime after I switch tires w/ rims?? thnx

·
2008 Camry Hybrid
2008 Camry Hybrid
1,527 Posts
Always re-balance the tires.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
You do not need to rebalance them with dedicated rims...............

·
2008 Camry Hybrid
2008 Camry Hybrid
1,527 Posts
You do not need to rebalance them with dedicated rims...............
Of course you do. You can't just balance them once and then expect that you won't get vibration in the steering wheel 2 years later. Uneven wear, flat spots, structural belt change, etc all can happen.

I ask my mechanic to perform a re-balance about 6 to 10 times per year because at one point or another I get some vibration in the steering wheel. Re-balancing the tires fixes that. The Camry's steering system is a rather crude system so the slightest vibration or harshness in road surface comes straight in the driver's hands.

Quite a pain in the arse, really. With a Benz ML even if you have un-balanced front tires, you won't get the vibration translated into your hands.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Baloney. If they were fine when you changed them 3-5 months ago, they will be fine when you put them back on.................

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,677 Posts
njerald is 100% correct. the way you took them off is the way they will stay. temperature will not force them off balance. if balance wasn't correct when you were taking them off then u should balance. about having to balance your wheels every few months. you dont really have to. i have gotten used to avoiding pot holes and such on the road and balance my wheels rarely. not only do i do this for balance but also to avoid strain on the suspension and to be ready for when i get some nicer rims. balancing your wheels every month is just a waste of money. i have my car 7 months and haven't balanced it yet.

·
Goes Against The Grain
02 Camry SE V6
18,081 Posts
ok balancing 6-10 times a year is a waste of money..and isn't necessary. I do my winters in the fall, and summers in the spring. that's it.

·
vvti
388 Posts
i just saw your same post at altima furoms. lol
i don't think you need to balance it anymore. if you feel vibration then you need to balance it lol.
balancing your wheels every month is just a waste of money. my stock rims only got once when i got a new tires and its fine. no vibration. and when i switch to my 18" rims stored in 3 months and no vibration.

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts
I had to balance my tires after only maybe 2 month on the TRDs.

They were perfect when I first got them installed, but I noticed a bad vibration. Must be damage to the rims themselves or bad potholes, but they became unbalanced after only 2 months of driving.

If you had no problems when you took them off, they should be fine once you put them back on, but don't hesitate to balance when you feel like you need to.

·
2008 Camry Hybrid
2008 Camry Hybrid
1,527 Posts
I swap tires on the same rims because I do not want to invest in a second set of rims so for me re-balancing is a MUST EVERY TIME. And I cannot avoid all the potholes and bad roads in my city. It seems they have just stopped repairing roads altogether. That is why I have to re-balance my tires almost monthly. Because I do not want to feel vibrations in my steering wheel.

The member jzh understands what I am talking about. It is possible to balance your tires, drive around have them become un-balanced quite quickly within a couple of months. That describes my case every time.

Besides, going around holes is too much hassle. Unless it is a crater (many of those exist in Toronto), I am too lazy to go around it.

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts
I swap tires on the same rims because I do not want to invest in a second set of rims so for me re-balancing is a MUST EVERY TIME. And I cannot avoid all the potholes and bad roads in my city. It seems they have just stopped repairing roads altogether. That is why I have to re-balance my tires almost monthly. Because I do not want to feel vibrations in my steering wheel.

The member jzh understands what I am talking about. It is possible to balance your tires, drive around have them become un-balanced quite quickly within a couple of months. That describes my case every time.

Besides, going around holes is too much hassle. Unless it is a crater (many of those exist in Toronto), I am too lazy to go around it.
I have no choice but to go around potholes. My TRDs are already becoming visibly damaged by the small ones, and being lowered on TRD springs, I've hit my front guard protector many times already (massive BANG sound), and hopefully haven't bottomed out yet.

A real crater would destroy the car.

·
2GR FTW
2007 Toyota Camry SE
1,543 Posts
Well having a wheel off balance is much more then just feeling the steering wheel shake. It is very bad for any suspension component involved, damage to the wheel hub and bearing can be greatly increased over time.

But if you swap wheels that have tires on the, you do not need to rebalance them. Temperature change is not enough to change the size or expand the steel wheels or aluminium wheels or such to cause such a difference. Unless the weights came off though.

But alignments every so often is good, maybe every year or two.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thnx a lot for the inputs guys;)
i just saw your same post at altima furoms. lol
i don't think you need to balance it anymore. if you feel vibration then you need to balance it lol.
balancing your wheels every month is just a waste of money. my stock rims only got once when i got a new tires and its fine. no vibration. and when i switch to my 18" rims stored in 3 months and no vibration.
lol, didn't expect any toyota owner to be on an altima forum XD
so wanna sell my Camry and get an Altima coupe:headbang:

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts
thnx a lot for the inputs guys;)

lol, didn't expect any toyota owner to be on an altima forum XD
so wanna sell my Camry and get an Altima coupe:headbang:
Yuck... if you wanted a good coupe, it's the 370z or the Genesis. Don't waste your money on crap like Altimas.

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,677 Posts
Yuck... if you wanted a good coupe, it's the 370z or the Genesis. Don't waste your money on crap like Altimas.
+1 or wait for the new subaru+toyota coupe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts