Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scanned the past six pages of discussions but didn't find anyone else as stupid as me. I ran out of gas in 2020 Camry Hybrid. Actually made it onto the property of a gas station and had to be pushed about one car length by some kind people in order to reach the pump.

Before the car totally refused to go any further, the display was already showing these three messages in sequence:
"Check Engine"
"Hybrid System Malfunction"
"Pre-Collision System Malfunction"
Furthermore, the "Visit Your Dealer" message is also displayed underneath all these messages.

After I filled up the tank, I was able to drive normally back home, but those three messages are still displaying one after the other continuously. If I press the return button to dismiss them, they start again after a few seconds. The exclamation mark triangle, the pre-collision system OFF, and the check engine light are also lit on the display.

I've run out of gas before in a 2011 Camry Hybrid and a 2016 Subaru Outback, but neither had error messages that persisted after I refueled. I assume I should just go to the dealer and ask them to clear the message out? I think there isn't any problem with the battery, since during the drive home there were portions when I was driving on battery alone, and the display's illustration showed power flowing into and out of the battery at different times during the drive. Any advice y'all have for a bozo like me would be much appreciated!

P.S. Don't run out of gas. Before I started driving this 2020, I had driven a 2008 Camry Hybrid for almost a decade. That car would go at least 60 miles after the needle passed empty, so I got complacent about filling up on gas. Seems like this 2020 doesn't have as much wiggle room.

·
8,058 Posts
Well, as a good part, you made it gas station.
Try simple fix first: 3 consecutive complete Start/Shut down cycles. If this does not clear the messages, it's trip to dealer to have it reset. No way around it, unless you have Techstream and KnowHow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I kept driving it and the messages cleared up after a few natural shutdowns and starts, with the Check Engine being the last message to clear from the display.

·
Registered
2020 Camry hybrid
5 Posts
I scanned the past six pages of discussions but didn't find anyone else as stupid as me. I ran out of gas in 2020 Camry Hybrid. Actually made it onto the property of a gas station and had to be pushed about one car length by some kind people in order to reach the pump.

Before the car totally refused to go any further, the display was already showing these three messages in sequence:
"Check Engine"
"Hybrid System Malfunction"
"Pre-Collision System Malfunction"
Furthermore, the "Visit Your Dealer" message is also displayed underneath all these messages.

After I filled up the tank, I was able to drive normally back home, but those three messages are still displaying one after the other continuously. If I press the return button to dismiss them, they start again after a few seconds. The exclamation mark triangle, the pre-collision system OFF, and the check engine light are also lit on the display.
View attachment 293279 View attachment 293280

View attachment 293281 View attachment 293282

I've run out of gas before in a 2011 Camry Hybrid and a 2016 Subaru Outback, but neither had error messages that persisted after I refueled. I assume I should just go to the dealer and ask them to clear the message out? I think there isn't any problem with the battery, since during the drive home there were portions when I was driving on battery alone, and the display's illustration showed power flowing into and out of the battery at different times during the drive. Any advice y'all have for a bozo like me would be much appreciated!

P.S. Don't run out of gas. Before I started driving this 2020, I had driven a 2008 Camry Hybrid for almost a decade. That car would go at least 60 miles after the needle passed empty, so I got complacent about filling up on gas. Seems like this 2020 doesn't have as much wiggle room.

·
Registered
2020 Camry hybrid
5 Posts
I have same issue two times in this week, but I am not out of gasoline still I have same issue. Today I dropped my car to dealership.
but last week same things happen and I call AAA for my car to be towing. Once Aaa gays pull my car and he dragged my car Because rear wheel not moving . He down my car on road and car working fine. I didn’t see dealer that time. But today I get same issue. Let what’s wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts