Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 899 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The other thread has information all over the place and I was hoping to consolidate everything.

Huge contributions from: Hansen, OneQuan, ToyoForMan, JC1843, Kipliq on the first thread (if i forgot you i'm sorry :facepalm:)
All parts in orange = uncertainty, could someone please fix it?

I'll try and keep this first post as updated as possible.

YouTube Videos:
http://youtu.be/nWr8c--s87g

Another video:
http://youtu.be/vHoLcR3WR3E

Schematic
Illustrated by: AmanteNJ

Original Thread:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/400620-oem-backup-camera.html
Back Up Camera Wiki​

Removing the Audio System:

http://vimeo.com/39967790

Camera's

CMOS: Great fitment according to Hansen and ToyoForMan
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/540087687-Freeshipping-for-Toyota-Camry-2012-new-promoted-waterproof-and-shockproof-mini-hidden-car-backup-cameras-JY-wholesalers.html
Originally posted by TOYOFORMAN

You may contact for CMOS camera

Jason Chen
Sales Director
Guangzhou Candid Co.,Ltd
tel:86-13373687666
MSN:[email protected]
www.candid86.com

CCD: no word yet on fitment
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/557129837-CCD-HD-car-cameras-car-rear-view-monitor-car-Rear-Parking-Camera-for-Toyota-Camry-2012-wholesalers.html

Drilling required camera:
(I hate ebay links)
Seller: OttoNaviGPS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-IN-DASH-RADIO-GPS-Back-up-Reverse-Camera-FIT-FOR-Toyota-Camry-2012-/280897606270?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item4166cd527e&vxp=mtr#ht_2707wt_802

Another camera
Originally posted by Corolla-vet
http://visiontechamerica.com/site/portfolio/vtl275hd-vtl375hd/

Connectors
SE Models have a prewired harness
Originally posted by Hansen
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7219713458/

LE models do not have a prewire/connector
Originally posted by JC1843

For the guys that do not have the harness like the SE, you will have to connect the wires at the back of the radio at the 16 position connector Hanson listed the wire terminals to do this. [called L154 on the wire diagram] The wires are connected as follows--

The L-154, 16 terminal connector on the LE standard radio, is the top center one-- it will have one red wire in position #6-- that is the parking brake wire. Next to it, in position #7, you connect the camera + power, Next to that, in position #8 [last on right], you connect the Video input. right below #8, in position 16, you connect the Video shield [from the video cable] next to that, in position 15, you connect a ground wire.

When you finish-- the L-154 connector will have 5 wires, and 11 vacant places. [the parking brake wire is already there].

If you have a SE, it probably has the four wires in the the connector under the console. As Hanson describes in previous posts.

If there is a connector:
Purchase parts in orange.

One female mate connector : part #90980-12368
Four female terminal pins: part #82998-24290
pin 7-- power, 16 --Video shield, 8--- video in, and 15---- ground

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/toyota~housing~connector~f~90980-12368.html
http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/toyota~terminal~repair~w~w~82998-24290.html

Toyota wants $15 per connector. Kipliq was able to find cheaper connectors
If you have an old computer, the DVD/CD rom cable that connects have the correct pin size. I tested and verified it works.
Female mate connector
Originally posted by Kipliq

You can buy this connector for about 8 dollars shipped from:

Kevin McCoy
[email protected]
From Dick Dyer Toyota in SC.

And I received 3 connectors pins from him for $42 shipped.

SE models may use this amazon harness but still need another wire to for power.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LU06P0/#?_encoding=UTF8&tag=heaprcom05-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957[/ame]

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/stereo/beat-sonic-bc5-rear-camera-input-vision-selector-harness.html

Eric Kwon
[email protected]
for the "Beat-Sonic BC5 Rear Camera Input Vision Selector Harness""
and USPS shipping.
Mine came out to 21.65 shipped

Posted by Hansen:

Since you guys were able to buy and use the wire harness connector, the option is to buy one additional terminal pin for the connector and use that to connect the camera power or splice the black wire to connect and extend it to the camera. (The color code of the camera power from the wire harness is black.

But according to...Onequan...the amazon harness does not work?

Thank you selvinraj for leading us down the path of destruction. That amazon part DOES NOT fit the harness in the SE. The camry harness has four pins straight across and the amazon harness has the pin receptacles in 2up and 2down style. I have just wasted a few hours trying to make it work and the conclusion I have drawn is that I have a much better chance of success using the method Hansen utilised. I will order the female harness from toyota as i have dismantled the amazon harness and will be using the wires instead of ordering them from toyota.
I used the video rca from the amazon harness. I connected the white wire from the amazon video rca to white wire in the toyota harness(video positive), the black of the amazon video rca to the red in the toyota harness(video negative), the red from the power cable to the black toyota wire (camera positive) and the black from the power cable to the brown of the toyota harness (camera ground)
OneQuan:
The amazon harness DOES NOT fit the toyota harness. However it did prove useful as it comes with a rca video connector. If you have the know how, you can pull the amazon harness apart and remove the video rca. Or just go caveman on it and smash it and remove the video connector. Going that route, you will then only need two more wires and the toyota connector HANSEN recommended. There is no going around getting the toyota connector unless you want to splice all your wires. (Not recommended). The wires that Hansen recommended fit perfectly into the toyota connector. The rest is then routing your wires from your camera to the harness.
Wiring Diagram:
posted by 12CamrySE
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_7agNvyljePWFFqZW5VZmVkUEk/edit?pli=1

Yours may be a little different but
General color code stands for:
Red - Power
Yellow- Video Out
Black - Common ground or Video ground
Dark Green- Either Common ground or video ground

Diagram schmeatic for wiring with a 5V Relay from radio shack:
Relay found here:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062478

Tools needed:
  • Crimping tool
  • Side cutting pliers
  • Molding and panel remover (plastic, so as not to scratch your car)
  • Wire stripper
  • Soldering iron (if preferred)
  • Screwdrivers
  • Socket set
  • Tape measure.
Does this void warranty?
Originally posted by AussieAG
Nope. Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a dealer cannot void your warranty because of aftermarket installations. However if they can prove your modification caused an issue you're trying to have fixed under warranty, they can deny your warranty claim and make you pay out of pocket.

However I just noticed you're in Canada..I don't think you guys have a similar law. Regardless, I doubt your dealer is going to notice what you did.
You can track where the camera is by using this web site. http://usps.ems-tracking.net/ You shoud have a confirming email from Alibaba when the camera whas shipped. In that email is a tracking number, just do a copy/paste to the above web site and see where your camera is.
If you have a Navigation system there is a connector in your trunk! Found by Cool_fire16

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now to continue from the old thread.

Hansen, where did you get the Toyota connector parts from?
Did you just go to the dealer's service department and asked for
One female mate connector : part #90980-12368
Four female terminal pins: part #82998-2429

Onequan,
After drilling into your trunk do you recommend others to do this?
I'm asking because I'd like to drill my camera in instead of having it on the light fixture.
What tools did you use? Regular power drill?
What bit?

On your post you mentioned two cameras?
Which camera did you end up using? The ebay camera? Or the CCD camera without the light fixture.

I also have an SE, should I buy the amazon harness? on another post you said it didn't work and you would have to plug that into the toyota harness anyways...
So should i just skip the toyota harness?

·
Registered
21 Posts

Onequan,
I'm asking because I'd like to drill my camera in instead of having it on the light fixture.
What bit?

Which camera did you end up using? The ebay camera? Or the CCD camera without the light fixture.

I also have an SE, should I buy the amazon harness? on another post you said it didn't work and you would have to plug that into the toyota harness anyways...
I purchased the Amazon harness and as Oenquan said it does not fit the pre-wired harness under the center console in the SE. So you're better off buying the parts Hansen listed or even consider using T-taps. However, Onequan did manage to use the wires that came with the Amazon harness but I'm not sure which route is cheaper.

·
Registered
400 Posts
T-taps work just fine if used correctly. The T-tap installed in that car probably hadn't been crimped down all the way. I agree that soldering is the best method, but it's also a permanent solution. T-taps can be removed at a later time and barely leave a trace.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I purchased the Amazon harness and as Oenquan said it does not fit the pre-wired harness under the center console in the SE. So you're better off buying the parts Hansen listed or even consider using T-taps. However, Onequan did manage to use the wires that came with the Amazon harness but I'm not sure which route is cheaper.
yes just go to your dealer and give them the part numbers, it will set you back about 50 bucks for the connector and pigtail harness wires.

I purchased the amazon harness for 1 main reason...having the pin terminals/wiring for the video side where i needed the rca.

adding up this way is still much cheaper then a full kit. total cost i've spent is about 120 bucks.

I've also used t tap connectors for years on quick accessory installs but on my own vehicles its solder only. As i trust the connectors there is nothing better.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Called my local dealer,

They wanted $12 per pin, and $28.55 for the terminal.
What the deuces...

Called another near by dealer. Wanted full retail price for the parts.

So it's only going to cost an extra $5 to order the parts online.

Just waiting on a reply about the amazon harness

Should i use the amazon harness?
If I do use the amazon harness, I would only need one pin correct?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ok. The amazon harness DOES NOT fit the toyota harness. The amazon harness has the wire holes 2up and 2down while the toyota harness has the holes 4 across. There is absolutely NO possibility of it working WITH the preinstalled se connector. However it did prove useful as it comes with a rca video connector. If you have the know how, you can pull the amazon harness apart and remove the video rca. Or just go caveman on it and smash it and remove the video connector. Going that route, you will then only need two more wires and the toyota connector HANSEN recommended. There is no going around getting the toyota connector unless you want to splice all your wires. (Not recommended). The wires that Hansen recommended fit perfectly into the toyota connector. The rest is then routing your wires from your camera to the harness. I routed my wires under the center console between the driver and passenger seat under the carpetting directly behind the center console and under the back seat.
Additionally, I agree strongly that t-taps are unreliable. My camera did NOT work when i first installed it and after re-tracing the wires, I discovered that I had a bad connection with a t-tap.
For noobs, It is NOT a simple diy. You will need tools-:

and the know how of taking apart the console.I purchased the tools on amazon. The orange set is the Astro Pneumatic 4524 Auto Fastener and Molding Removal Tool Set, 11-Piece. The other tool is an automatic wire stripper with cutter. I cannot recommend cutting a hole in the trunk. I did it, but in the end the camera did not fit as well as i would have liked.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Be careful, as the pin size is crucial. If the pin is too big, it will not fit the toyota connector. Unfortunately none of those wires look like the wires i purchased from toyota.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for OneQuan for the last input

I cannot recommend cutting a hole in the trunk. I did it, but in the end the camera did not fit as well as i would have liked.
I'll get one that attaches to the light fixtures.

Darn on those connectors. I wish they were close.

Even if they were too long, i could just heat shrink the connectors if necessary. (just saying)

I'll order the right parts.

I just didn't want to pay six dollars for one connector >=(

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you have an old computer, the DVD/CD rom cable that connects have the correct pin size. I tested and verified it works.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Ans: I got the part number from the Toyota 2012 Camry Electrical Wiring Manual.

Onequan,
What bit?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ok, brief synopsis here. Aside from the parts, you will need tools and the know how of pulling apart your car. The how to pull your car apart is crucial, because the way most modern cars are built, if you break one clip, you have to purchase a whole new part. Secondly, you will need the necessary connectors; t-taps, wire joiners, wire ties and electrical tape. Thirdly, you need the proper tools; crimping tool, side cutting pliers, molding and panel remover (plastic, so as not to scratch your car), wire stripper, soldering iron (if preferred), screwdrivers, socket set and tape measure. Fourthly, you will need patience. Last of all you will need guts. If you are afraid of scratching or hurting your precious new car, this diy is not for you.

·
Corolla Veteran!
66 Posts
Ok, brief synopsis here. Aside from the parts, you will need tools and the know how of pulling apart your car. The how to pull your car apart is crucial, because the way most modern cars are built, if you break one clip, you have to purchase a whole new part. Secondly, you will need the necessary connectors; t-taps, wire joiners, wire ties and electrical tape. Thirdly, you need the proper tools; crimping tool, side cutting pliers, molding and panel remover (plastic, so as not to scratch your car), wire stripper, soldering iron (if preferred), screwdrivers, socket set and tape measure. Fourthly, you will need patience. Last of all you will need guts. If you are afraid of scratching or hurting your precious new car, this diy is not for you.
you need all those tools even if you follow Hansen's method?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Tools

you need all those tools even if you follow Hansen's method?
Yep! Soldering iron, maybe not. Only if you choose. The reason I did that last post is that the worst thing to happen is you start trying to pull your car apart, then realise that you don't have the proper tools :facepalm:. You put it back together, drive to advance auto, grab the tools you think you need, start pulling apart again and realise again that you still need more tools :headbang:. When you finally figure out all the tools you need, you pull the car apart, AGAIN,... start your DIY, only now to realise you don't have the connectors, electrical tape etc.:disappoin
But, yes, in my experience you will need all the tools mentioned. Besides they will come in handy for other DIYs.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I got my Sonic beat (amazon) harness today.

Only 3 wires to the four pin connector.

I emailed
Eric Kwon at Sonic Beat for USPS shipping since UPS was very high.

Total for me came out to 21.65 shipped

Eric Kwon
[email protected]

Told him I wanted:
"Beat-Sonic BC5 Rear Camera Input Vision Selector Harness"

So for this. We yank the connectors out and put it into the toyota connector right?

1 - 20 of 899 Posts