Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 898 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you successfully use the pins #82998-12340 listed in the ebay auctions? Or do I need to get the correct pins from the dealership #82998-24290?

And are the 3 pins from the amazon harness the same as the one from toyota? They look to be different in the pictures, but I'm not sure it's my eyes or not.

Here is the connector pin from Toyota I received.
Comparison with the taken apart
"amazon harness"
Red strip - toyota
It looks extremely close to :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/82998-12340-Toyota-Connector-2-3II-Female-Wire-Kit-5-pc-/350576067753?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item519ff644a9&vxp=mtr#ht_1285wt_808

Since I only need one pin I will be ordering those^

They come in 5 pieces, if anyone else needs my other four PM

" 82998-12340 - Toyota Connector 2.3II Female Wire Kits"

Ebay buyer - BeachToyota
Item "05-11 TACOMA FOG LIGHT AUXILIARY LIGHT SWITCH HARNESS"

Sells the pins pre wired- four for 29+5.89 shipping

Great deal. If you haven't ordered pins I would go through them.

I only need one so im ordering

·
Registered
257 Posts
There are some kowledgeable people doing this and this is not really my area of expertise but if I have all the correct info I can do this install. Is this correct? I will need a RCA video cable to go from the L154 connector (have a LE) back to the camera? I know only two parts of the RCA cable connect to the L154 connector, video input and video shield. If this is correct I will get the harness at Radio Shack mentioned by JC1843 to connect these two wires to the L154 connector.Since the camera and the RCA video cable have male connectors a female coupling should work. If I did this would this satisfy the connection of thevideo input and video shield to the camera?
I have seen some RCA video cable 15-20 ft. and it also has the red and white cables, which I assume could be cut off and use these wires to solder to the L254 camers power and ground.
Sorry this is so long, I have read every post in this and the other backup camera thread and I don't want to fry my radio or electronics connecting something incorrectly.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You will need to add 4 wires in the L154 connector--Power for the camera, ground for the camera, video input, and ground for the video shield casing.

I bought a female DB25 computer connector kit-- It has 25 terminals and a computer connector- [Hanson's idea]- you don't use the connector, just 4 of the terminals -I cut the only wire going to the L154 connector- [parking brake input] so I insert the 4 terminals in the L154 connector on the bench.

Hope this helps, Jerry

·
Registered
215 Posts
pins

Did you successfully use the pins #82998-12340 listed in the ebay auctions? Or do I need to get the correct pins from the dealership #82998-24290?

And are the 3 pins from the amazon harness the same as the one from toyota? They look to be different in the pictures, but I'm not sure it's my eyes or not.
The wire pins in the amazon harness are larger that the toyota pins, so if you go that route you will still need to buy the four toyota wires and connect the video rca to the relevant toyota wires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, installed my back up camera. Going to have to troubleshoot why when I put my car in reverse the screen flashes.. The guidance lines show up and the message "check your surroundings" appears at the bottom of the screen, just the image flashes. So it seems like its getting power. Any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is a video of what happens when my car is in reverse. For some reason out of the blue it will stop flashing and have a faint image appear like so. Yet you still can barely make out my garage door. The only thing I can think of is a faulty camera.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Camera

Camera

I was thinking the same thing with the video shield wire and video wire. Just when either of them is not connected correctly I don't get an image at all.
Couple of questions. Did your video cable come with a red wire sticking out at each end? I don't remember if you stated, but do you have an SE or LE? Did you use the amazon harness or did you connect the wires directly to the toyota harness?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Couple of questions. Did your video cable come with a red wire sticking out at each end? I don't remember if you stated, but do you have an SE or LE? Did you use the amazon harness or did you connect the wires directly to the toyota harness?
Video wire was an RCA plug in which I cut off and took the 2 wires and hooked them straight to harness. The other two bare wires are power and ground wire. I have the SE. No amazon harness. Bought the 4 pins & housing to connect straight to wire harness under center console.

·
Registered
215 Posts
camera

Video wire was an RCA plug in which I cut off and took the 2 wires and hooked them straight to harness. I have the SE. No amazon harness. Bought the 4 pins & housing to connect straight to wire harness under center console.
When the video rca is cut, the wires are notoriously hard to work with being so thin. There is obviously a faulty connection, because even the most terrible camera could not be so terrible.
No doubt, there are some terrible cameras out there as i was unfortunate enough to purchase one these sub standard cameras, but looking at the video you posted, it suggests you have a bad connection, maybe even wires touching.

·
Registered
215 Posts
toyota vs amazon harness

So I got my toyota connector...but the amazon pins do not fit inside of it...

How did you use the amazon harness with the toyota connector

Toyota connector for the SE
I took the video rca out of the amazon harness by pulling the amazon harness apart. I ended up purchasing all four toyota pins along with the toyota connector. I attached the video rca to the relevant toyota wires, plugged the video rca from the cam into it and connected the power and ground wires.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I took the video rca out of the amazon harness by pulling the amazon harness apart. I ended up purchasing all four toyota pins along with the toyota connector. I attached the video rca to the relevant toyota wires, plugged the video rca from the cam into it and connected the power and ground wires.
same here, just cut and soldered to my toyota pin terminals

41 - 60 of 898 Posts
About this Discussion
897 Replies
169 Participants
jonwoltke
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing