Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
IMHO most of the aftermarket DVD players aren't worth the cost for me. They are a great solution for some but for me I can buy one or two iPads plus headrest mounts for less than one aftermarket drop down DVD player. I bought a 32GB iPad (3G) and the next thing for me is to buy a Bluetooth headset for the iPad to complete the wireless install and to allow me to reclaim the Sienna's speakers. I use a free, legal app to rip my own DVDs which means easy access to many movies instantly for my kids. Sure it's a bit more work up front, but you can have a device that can be used to play games, check mail, view trip progress, watch photo slide shows and perhaps most importantly can be used outside the van. Worst case too is that if I don't like it I can sell it for very close to what I paid for it, not so with the DVD install. Again, the built in DVD is a good solution for some but to me the value isn't there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Pfffft.... Just buy both the headrests and an iPad. I see your point for getting more use out of the unit for the money spent, but if you have kids like mine, they would break the ipads in less then a week as they like to kick the seats and they always want to watch the same movie which would be difficult on two ipads. My kids can play with my iPad, itouch, and iPhone in the comfort of a padded couch. Not comfortable with a 3 and 4 year old touching them in a car...... Maybe when they are 8-9 ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good brand entertainment systems?

POPP - I have a 7 and 10 year old, I still worry about giving the iPads :)

Can anyone suggest a name brand or something with a decent amount of reviews? I've checked out the XTRONs but no review to be found and made in Hong Kong, so I'd rather pass.

Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just received the headrest DVD today, It is quick they ship by UPS and less than a week I receive it. It is made by Xtrons and yes made in China and Iphone make in china too. You wont' say anything with this price for a pair of 9" DVD. I won't install it till this saturday and will post some picture. The DVD is well packed with 2 wireless headphone for$279.99. The headrest quality is good did not put on the car so don't know the colour will match perfect but no complain in that price. I work in Toyota dealer, even aftermarket installed for $1600 employee price. It is a joke when it compare mine. Will post picture once I done the job. Before I buy this I try to buy alpine flip DVD but they are pricey and expensive to install and I do not want to cut the roof. This pair DVD can play one DVD and watch in both screen. Hope it help.

·
Registered
141 Posts
interested to see how long those work for........ I bet you don't get 6 months out of them before something breaks.......

hey, if they last 1 year then power to you for finding a cheap working unit!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have some cheap China make DVD player at home for $20 and it can play all media. My kids using it everyday for at least 3 hour per day and it just work fine. No problem at all and they always switch off power without press stop. Hope my headrest works like it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just received the headrest DVD today, It is quick they ship by UPS and less than a week I receive it. It is made by Xtrons and yes made in China and Iphone make in china too. You wont' say anything with this price for a pair of 9" DVD. I won't install it till this saturday and will post some picture.
Yes do post pics. I will pick a couple up if the picture quality works well. I have purchased many things from China via EBay and have had great success.

Hopefully these work well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Finished install the 9" DVD it is not hard to install but remind you to buy the 14mm pole to fit Sienna. The DVD is very good in this price no complaint it come with Zip. The headrest is bigger than the original one and do block some view if you sit at the back but Kids no complaint. It also come with some game and the DVD sound better than I expect and the IR headphone is sound good too. For the first time I the DVD player always restart to the beginning when turn the ignition off and on and cannot play where it off but I just figure it out, there is a set up that can resume to what you watch at the last time. So it is perfect now. I connect to the cigarette lighter. The DVD do come with fuse so there is no need to put extra fuse. The screen is ok do not expect Iphone4 quality but for kids its more than enough.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the write up and the photos. That has convinced me to pick some up. Kids being kids will not know the difference between this LCD screen and a better one.

The one question I have is how did you run your poer wires from the DVD player to the lighter. Are they totally hidden within the seat to the floor?

I am thinking of putting one in the second row as well for the very back passengers. Does each unit come with its own power cord? There is the lighter plug in the very back I was planning on using.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes at this price no complaint, I went to a local store and they quote me $900 with installation with the same stuff! The wire totally hidden! I first run wire under the seat and then remove the centre compartment box (10mm socket will do) then remove the cup holder by pulling upward. then I run wire under the box to the front of the 12V socket. But I actually connect the wire directly behind the socket. You simply pull the upper 12Volt socket out then you see two wire behind the socket. Then I use a (cloth hanger bend it) and run wire to the side and then to the rear. There are two fuse box from the DVD I just hide it under the bottom tray there are two little space just fit after you remove the box you will see it. hope it help I saw they sell at $259 include shipping now! $20 less

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Yes at this price no complaint, I went to a local store and they quote me $900 with installation with the same stuff! The wire totally hidden! I first run wire under the seat and then remove the centre compartment box (10mm socket will do) then remove the cup holder by pulling upward. then I run wire under the box to the front of the 12V socket. But I actually connect the wire directly behind the socket. You simply pull the upper 12Volt socket out then you see two wire behind the socket. Then I use a (cloth hanger bend it) and run wire to the side and then to the rear. There are two fuse box from the DVD I just hide it under the bottom tray there are two little space just fit after you remove the box you will see it. hope it help I saw they sell at $259 include shipping now! $20 less
so you connected the power to the rear on one of the 12Volt socket. So when you start your van, does the DVD player turn on or you have to power it on EVERYTIME from the unit?
Also, can it be played while the in access mode when the engine is not running?

just don't see why I want to pay $2K for factory dual screen DVD.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes I connect to the 12volt socket behind it. The DVD need to be switch on everytime you run it. When you switch on the vehicle there is a red LED light up in the DVD but you have to press the power button to turn it on. yes you can run the DVD in access mode.
The unit is so far so good I don't seen any reason why buy 2k for factory. Under $300 what you can say?? You can even put only one DVD and show in both screen. The speaker sound quality is far better than I think in this price. The headrest seem more comfortable than the OEM one cause it is huge! Easy installation to me save those money for other accessories.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
you mentioned you ran wired "under the seat", how? I still not sure how you can "hide" the wire. did you have the wire going down INSIDE the side from the back rest area? Just don't understand this part.

Also once the wire is on the floor, you hide it from the side then to the center console or you ran it in the middle to (under the carpet?) to the power

Last, what happened if someone move the seat forward and backward? Will it pull the wire?

sorry about all the questions, I really think this aftermarket route is much more affortable and wanting to see if it is something I can do.

thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not your problem just my bad explanation,
First the DVD wire will run from the headrest hole down the inside of the seat back. then guide the wire to the bottom of the seat then from the bottom of the seat you see air bag wire(yellow) the you just tie with those wire. Under the seat there are carpet you will find a cut from the carpet(it let the airbag wire go through) the you remove the center console(storage box) with two 10mm nut. Then from the bottom of the seat guide the wire under the carpet to the storage box area, from there you has to remove the 12v socket under the shift gate you will find two wire from the back of the socket test which is + and- the run extra wire to the center console area connect to the DVD done. Hope you understand if not let me know I will take some photo. I am not good in writing!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not your problem just my bad explanation,
First the DVD wire will run from the headrest hole down the inside of the seat back. then guide the wire to the bottom of the seat then from the bottom of the seat you see air bag wire(yellow) the you just tie with those wire. Under the seat there are carpet you will find a cut from the carpet(it let the airbag wire go through) the you remove the center console(storage box) with two 10mm nut. Then from the bottom of the seat guide the wire under the carpet to the storage box area, from there you has to remove the 12v socket under the shift gate you will find two wire from the back of the socket test which is + and- the run extra wire to the center console area connect to the DVD done. Hope you understand if not let me know I will take some photo. I am not good in writing!

Sounds pretty interesting/good what you've done with your system. But, it's not the best option for everyone. For me, I'm just not down with threading wires through seats and taking crap apart to install a system that's inexpensive but of unknown quality (and looks like an add-on?). Yep, I paid a tick less than $2K for my system, but it's professionally installed, looks better than OEM, the leather matches perfectly and the headrests are identical (size and shape) to the ones that were in there originally. And I've got a no-questions asked 5-year warranty from the local AV shop that did the work as a subcontractor for my dealer (backed by the dealer, too). My thinking: after spending about $36K on a new XLE AWD, I'm not going to lose sleep over what amounts to an extra $20/month on my car payment.

Just sayin'.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts