Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and was wondering if any of you guys have put aftermarket gauges on your trucks. I have ordered a transmission temp., an oil pressure and a voltmeter gauge. Can anyone give me any advise for the installation. I want to mount the transmission senor on one of the cooler lines and not on the pan. Also how do you install the oil pressure and voltmeter gauges. I do some minor towing (3000-4000lbs) and would like to monitor everything. Thanks.

·
Registered
Base model 05' Taco
308 Posts
One of the guys made a pretty sweet set up for gauges in the middle of the dash above the radio, do a seach for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I saw the truck on cardomain.com but he didn't have any installation tips. Please help.

·
Official Misfit
1,453 Posts
that would be pretty cool. i miss my oil temp/pressure guages

·
Registered
448 Posts
I guess I can assume you have the V6 and 5 speed auto with what you are doing, here are two pics of my trans temp and oil pres. electrical sending units installed. Assuming you ordered electrical gauges and not mechanical.

Oil Pressure

Trans temp sender

For the oil sender you will need a 10MM>1/8" NPT adapter to screw into the factory threads.

I would find a Brass T with square ends so you can use a socket to tourqe everything to the proper 11 ft-lbs, assemble the adapter, extension, and T first with high temp/vibration lock tite, then after you put that on attach the factory and after market sensor, will require removal of oil filter, be sure not to over torque everything since you are working with aluminum threads. Follow instructions on wiring the gauge with power, ground, and signal wire.

For the Trans temp it’s the same you want a T fitting with barbed ends, make sure you temp sensor is only about 1/8" into the flow so you don't restrict ATF flow, since you are installing in a rubber hose you have to ground the T fitting, notice the two wires in the picture.

I used to power and ground from the radio wire harness for the volt gauge, you want to run a ground wire for your trans and oil gauges about the same distance and you sender wire so the resistance is the same and will make the gauge more percise.

Let me know if you have any quesitons and I will clarify better, but this is a easy install really.

Autobarn.com is where I got the 10MM>1/8th NPT adapter, got the Square T at Autozone, and the other parts at home depot.

Factory oil sender will need a 24MM deep well socket.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't seen any pillar mounts for the 2005 tacoma. I plan on mounting them on a piece of diamond plate in front of the cup holders. Thanks for the advise, if someone has mounted gauges this way please post some pictures of the gauges mounted. Thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
I also have not seen a A-Piller mount sold as a 2005, but they make generic Pods to mount on any A-Piller that could pretty easily be molded into the current trim with a little work. When I add a few more gauges (oil temp, boost gauge(some day), etc) that's probably where they will go.

I think my MiniMac 7.5' touch screen is going to have to go down in that cubby behind the cup holders when I install it. Not my first choice but the more I look at it I think that will be a nice place, just can't look at it while driving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts