Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little confused on what I was told by a salesman. He told Me if I have a aftermarket hitch installed on a 2019 Highlander it would void the warranty. Never like that in the past. Can this be true??
Thanks
Tollbooth

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed a new hitch on my wifes 2017 about a year-and-a-half ago. It is been to the dealer for routine maintenance and no one has ever commented.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought it was a line of $$. Went to hitch store, owner say's that dealer brings the cars to us for hitch installation. $1200 instead of $500.

·
Registered
380 Posts
i had an aftermarket hitch installed on my 2014 LE to save a few bucks, lasted about 2 years (looked like $#*%). Had dealer take it off and install OEM. so much cleaner looking and left the electrical wire and plug inside the vehicle to prevent corrosion. Lesson learned!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Anything the dealership tells you should be met w/ careful doubt.
Most people in sales know very little outside of what they need to say to make the sale. Sad but it's the reality of the job... why become a mechanic if you're a sales guy.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am having the Toyota OEM hitch installed by the dealer tomorrow on my 2019. I had an aftermarket hitch installed on my 2012 Highlander, and it did the job, but it did hang much lower and was not very pleasant to look at. I vowed to only do OEM on my next car.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah, aftermarket hitches look terrible on the HL. Those uhaul hitches look so cheap. The OEM hitch looks much cleaner.
I personally bought and installed this.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/CURT-13200-Class-Trailer-Hitch/dp/B00QKLFFWG/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Toyota%7C76&Model=Highlander%7C1009&Year=2016%7C2016&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=6&vehicleType=automotive[/ame]

I actually don't like the OEM hitch adapter as it requires that split bumper with the opening in the middle.

With this is sits below neatly and very discretely right below the bumper and doesn't require any hitch adapter cover or anything.
Having a big square gap in the middle of the bumper like the OEM requires cheapens the look of the vehicle in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Correctly installed hitches don't void warranties.

Exceeding the capability of the vehicle could possible void a warranty.

Incorrectly installed hitches can only void portions of the warranty that are directly tied into the poor installation.

Clean hitch looks and a strong hitch are not the same. After bending OE hitches and breaking welds on some brands, I only recommend:
http://cequentgroup.com/ Function is more import than form especially when pushing the tow limit, especially during emergency stops or maneuvers.

I'd say any of the brands are good enough for simple stuff, like cargo trays and bicycle carriers.....

·
Registered
121 Posts
i had an aftermarket hitch installed on my 2014 LE to save a few bucks, lasted about 2 years (looked like $#*%). Had dealer take it off and install OEM. so much cleaner looking and left the electrical wire and plug inside the vehicle to prevent corrosion. Lesson learned!
What brand did you purchase ? The CURT I installed weighed about 40#, powder coated and rock solid. For $159.00 picked it up locally with the control that made the four point plug adaptable for a small trailer. Also ran another line for the brake control and five or six pin adaptor. I rechecked the torque on the mounting points and find it works excellent. Over engineered for capacity working well pulling a car trailer.
All mounting and wiring both plugs completed in one day along with other distractions ( playing with the dog and walks ).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love the aftermarket hitch I installed on my wife's 2017. Check out etrailers(dot)com. Watch the videos pick the one that looks good on your vehicle.

At least watched the video before you spend twice as much at the dealership.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,813 Posts
If you want true towing power, the Curt is strongest. $150
If you want the cleanest no bumper interruption look with noting to see but the receiver, it the Torklift, (maybe Drawtight as well?). $250
If you trust OEM, and want to cut in the back with a step in the that sticks out, its the OEM hitch.$400

Topic has maybe 5 other long drawn out threads. Use Advanced search to see the testing the hitch designs, and ll that. No sense in extending this post, when there is a chunk of info to be looked up.
FYI, Pepboys installs theirs or your hitch for $50.

This is one of those cases that end with, you DON'T get what you pay for.

·
Registered
15 Highlander Plat
1,923 Posts
I ordered and installed the Curt hitch mentioned by Maxim Ricky from e0trailer.com. I really like how it doesn't protrude like the OEM. Very easy to install. My vehicle has been to the dealer many time and have never had any questions asked about it. I also added the wiring harness which is also very easy to install. Just make sure you get the one with the converter. I think it's like $30-$40 shipped.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
If you want true towing power, the Curt is strongest. $150

Curt is a Class-III hitch, along with Draw-Tite, Reese, and a slew of others. They all meet the 5000lb towing capacity.

Draw-Tite and Reese have the BEST reputation. They've been the leaders for decades (and rightfully so). I have no problem with my Curt hitch, but I wouldn't say it's better then the leaders.

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
788 Posts
A little confused on what I was told by a salesman. He told Me if I have a aftermarket hitch installed on a 2019 Highlander it would void the warranty. Never like that in the past. Can this be true??
Thanks
Tollbooth
If I recall correctly, back with my 2016 model year and earlier, some models like the LE does not come with the towing package (larger cooling system, possibly the transmission oil cooler, etc.) pre-installed, is that still the case with 2019 models? If so, could the sales person be referring to the lack of such features, therefore if installing a Class-III hitch is an issue? Just a thought...

·
B52D,F,G,H
2019 HiHy Plat,2019 PriusLimited
34 Posts
If I recall correctly, back with my 2016 model year and earlier, some models like the LE does not come with the towing package (larger cooling system, possibly the transmission oil cooler, etc.) pre-installed, is that still the case with 2019 models? If so, could the sales person be referring to the lack of such features, therefore if installing a Class-III hitch is an issue? Just a thought...
Curious as I have the Platinum Hybrid and noticed the wiring assembly was there. May need an electric cart carrier after my next surgery. Also a bike rack would be nice for PT.:grin:

·
Registered
2019 Highlander LE
40 Posts
I installed this one.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Toyota/Highlander/2019/75896.html?vehicleID=201924488

I really like how it underscores the whole bumper. I don't like the split bumper look of the way over priced OEM bumper. It also provides a clean mounting bracket forn a 4 pin AND a 7 pin plug. 7 pin is NOT AVAILABLE from dealer. My dealer told me it does not impact the warranty at all. I lease right now, so I asked several times. Your dealer misinformed you. Draw-Tite is a higher quality product, IMHO.

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
788 Posts
Curious as I have the Platinum Hybrid and noticed the wiring assembly was there. May need an electric cart carrier after my next surgery. Also a bike rack would be nice for PT.:grin:
Whichever style of hitch you choose to install, Best wish to your surgery and a speedy recovery!
In my case with OEM hitch was it comes with a cover/apron that extends below the rear bumper leaving only the 2" hitch receiver and the foot step visible.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts