Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
We went with aftermarket on ours. Not that it was any cheaper, about the same actually, but I didn't feel confident in the information I was getting from the dealer. This is our second hitch installed by this company, and they do fantastic work. Trusted and referred to by many in our area. Very knowledgable staff. In terms of clearances and look, I haven't had any concern yet. We currently pull an ultralight TT about 2000lbs with e brake and variable brake controller. Tounge weight of about 300lbs barely even noticable when I drop it down on the HL. We are looking at upsizing it though to a Kodial Cub 175BH single axle that is 3500lbs and 417lbs hitch weight empty. Will put us easily about 550lbs with propane, battery, and gear loaded. Looking at the andersen "no sway" WDH. But we love our aftermarket hitch

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Whichever style of hitch you choose to install, Best wish to your surgery and a speedy recovery!
In my case with OEM hitch was it comes with a cover/apron that extends below the rear bumper leaving only the 2" hitch receiver and the foot step visible.
I'm liking that bumper guard. Is that OEM or aftermarket? Thanks

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,813 Posts
If you want the hitch for most towing, it is the Curt. If you often walk around looking up the skirt of cars rear end, you will see the cross tube. Which you can paint flat black and be done with it.

If you want to stay with OEM idea of "This must be the best for it" , and step is needed, you get the OEM

If you dont want any interruption of the bumper and the most aesthetically clean look yo9u get the Torklift EcoHitch, and I think Drawtite has the same implementation, just below the bumper and only the 2" receiver is visible. All else is hidden. No messing with bumper, and having something stick out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am having the Toyota OEM hitch installed by the dealer tomorrow on my 2019. I had an aftermarket hitch installed on my 2012 Highlander, and it did the job, but it did hang much lower and was not very pleasant to look at. I vowed to only do OEM on my next car.
@dtown40 How much did you end up paying the dealer to install, About to purchase a new 2019 and want to work this into the deal

·
Registered
2019 Highlander XLE
41 Posts
@dtown40 How much did you end up paying the dealer to install, About to purchase a new 2019 and want to work this into the deal
I paid around $350/375 for the components and installed myself as I have my own shop and am an installer for other hitch brands - sorta equipped to do it.

if you are handy, DIY, if not, work in the deal the install for free and the hitch at cost. It is after all a car priced at $40K+ They gonna walk you over a hitch?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I paid around $350/375 for the components and installed myself as I have my own shop and am an installer for other hitch brands - sorta equipped to do it.

if you are handy, DIY, if not, work in the deal the install for free and the hitch at cost. It is after all a car priced at $40K+ They gonna walk you over a hitch?
Thats my hope, but I want to know the MSRP, so when I go to bat, I know how far I can push. Based on reading other threads, this is a $695 option, but in my case I will need the dealer to install.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,813 Posts
Never heard anyone pay that much for a hitch! 695. SO far the retail base I have heard thrown around is 400.
Some models may not have a trans cooler, beefier alternatoer, and radiator, as I came across a post mentioning these things as being part of the Tow package. But for just a hitch that a SUPERIOR model costs $140(Curt hitch), That sounds way inflated.

·
Registered
2019 Highlander XLE
41 Posts
Thats my hope, but I want to know the MSRP, so when I go to bat, I know how far I can push. Based on reading other threads, this is a $695 option, but in my case I will need the dealer to install.
695ish ( I was told 700) is the installed price....so push at em. they want the sale more than they want to keep the hitch

·
Registered
33 Posts
As an FYI, which is one data point, dealer quoted 899 dealer installed. Obviously this is negotiable. However dealer installed 600-900 seems to be the norm.

·
Registered
380 Posts
i had a 'Hidden Hitch and it was anything but hidden, The OEM looks so much cleaner, if you need a very strong hitch to tow , maybe you need a Tacoma or Tundra !

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,813 Posts
The Torklift hitch is very hidden. Its just the receiver that is visible and does not stick out of the bumper as the OEM does. This not only disrupts aesthetically, but it also adds something to bump into, and for function you are more likely to need a drop down adapter so your tow isnt sitting to high. But I understand folks who like OEM, and its the final answer for them all the time.
Keep in mind that the Curt hitch at $150 or sometimes less IS the stronger of the hitches, oem or not. It does have a crossbar that is visible if you peak under the rear of the car, The EcoHitch is not the strongest, yet it is tested and rated to be as capable as the OEM, but it is the stealthiet of the hitches available, as the only visible piece is the square receiver.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts