Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Corolla
117 Posts
So, i just got my first car, 14 corolla S (bare with me) with the 96k platinum

i asked the guy about installing a sub, or cold air ram, guy at the service desk said both would void the warranty.

so my question is this, if i install aftermarket parts, and take it in for service, will there be any issues, assuming everything is still working fine?

like for oil changes or 30/60/90 extended services?

its my understanding that someone would have to really mess up my audio install to really cause any malfunctions to the head unit, and as far as something like a cold air, those bolt on and off don't they, if theres an issue couldnt i just put the oem parts back on and act none the wiser? (yeah i know this is a moral grey area)

thanks!

·
Stupendous TN Member
2015 Corolla LE Eco
408 Posts
Warranty is only voided when the aftermarket install causes a problem with the car. You often get some staff who couldn't give a shit, and would blame your aftermarket addons for an issue that isn't that mod's fault. You can always try another dealership if that happens.

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Corolla
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Warranty is only voided when the aftermarket install causes a problem with the car. You often get some staff who couldn't give a shit, and would blame your aftermarket addons for an issue that isn't that mod's fault. You can always try another dealership if that happens.
so most people disregard for things that generally wont do anything to the car

i dont see how splicing a wire into the hu to get rcas out is gonna damage anything haha

·
rwd_3tc
120 Posts
If your splicing into oem wires with aftermarket stuff. And there's an issue. Toyota usually won't cover that under warranty. Since I'm a tech at a Toyota dealership. I always make sure there's no aftermarket parts before I do my diagnostics. If there is. I inform the customer to remove it first. Or I'll be gladly to remove it for 2.5 hours plus straight time diag. Usually the customer declines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2015 Corolla LE
507 Posts
I asked about new wheels and was told it would affect the warranty only if the new wheels affect the suspension in any way.

If you're talking about a sub or cold air ram both would have an effect on the electrical and intake system of the car. I'll bet my dealer would say the same thing as the OP.

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Corolla
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If your splicing into oem wires with aftermarket stuff. And there's an issue. Toyota usually won't cover that under warranty. Since I'm a tech at a Toyota dealership. I always make sure there's no aftermarket parts before I do my diagnostics. If there is. I inform the customer to remove it first. Or I'll be gladly to remove it for 2.5 hours plus straight time diag. Usually the customer declines.

So I'm supposed to remove my amp and wireing every 5 or 10k for service? Lol

Thanks man

·
rwd_3tc
120 Posts
No. I meant. If you come in with oem radio unit or speakers not working but have aftermarket stuff attached to the oem wire harness or radio .Then that's were the issue will start.

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Corolla
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No. I meant. If you come in with oem radio unit or speakers not working but have aftermarket stuff attached to the oem wire harness or radio .Then that's were the issue will start.

ha, id be taking it to the audio installer first at that point.

thanks for clearing this up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
ha, id be taking it to the audio installer first at that point.

thanks for clearing this up!
Ya that part I'm not clear about
Toyota refuses to upgrade my stereo to android auto but I got an professional audio installer doing the work but there is only a year left on the warranty do I wait for the warranty to be up or just install it

I've dealt with dealers who don't care if it's third party because I can't get offical parts as long as it's a licensed tech doing it they don't mind

I'm asking a Toyota dealer
I'll even pay Toyota to install the sony android auto if I have ti since Toyota won't sell me the Toyota android auto

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Toyota refuses to upgrade my stereo to android auto but I got an professional audio installer doing the work but there is only a year left on the warranty do I wait for the warranty to be up or just install it
Toyota simply can't provide an OEM head unit with Android Auto since it was a non existent feature on those models. Going aftermarket is the only option and it won't void your warranty except for the head unit itself and, if badly done, effects of the installation. That would be between you, the new head unit manufacturer and the installer. Even if the installer is a Toyota dealer, that would still be between you and the dealer as a shop, not as a Toyota representative. Considering that, a reputable specialized audio shop is a better choice. In any event, the rest of the warranty (other than head unit) remain as is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts