Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did you connected the oem rear camera to the head unit?
No, my installer left it stock. I would have to purchase an additional camera. I may add one later because you can view the rear camrea anytime without being in reverse.

·
Registered
2011 SIENNA SE
50 Posts
you can view the rear camrea anytime without being in reverse.
That's one of my reasons to want to install it to the nav unit, being able to see it at any time not only while in reverse. The other is that the nav screen is twice the size of the oem one. One of my installers told me that in order to have the camera connected to the Pioneer that I need to buy an aftermarket rear view camera, meaning having 2 cameras in the hatch.

The AVIC-Z120BT rear camera input is an rca plug. The oem screen have a small connector with a bunch of wires, no rca what so ever.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That's one of my reasons to want to install it to the nav unit, being able to see it at any time not only while in reverse. The other is that the nav screen is twice the size of the oem one. One of my installers told me that in order to have the camera connected to the Pioneer that I need to buy an aftermarket rear view camera, meaning having 2 cameras in the hatch.

The AVIC-Z120BT rear camera input is an rca plug. The oem screen have a small connector with a bunch of wires, no rca what so ever.

Yeah, that's the thing. I'm not feeling the 2 cameras so much unless they can mount it where it doesn't stick out.

·
Registered
2011 SIENNA SE
50 Posts
GOOD NEWS!!!

After a little more research on the topic I found that some guys over the Odyssey forum were looking into displaying their OEM rear view camera into their aftermarket NAV's, since theirs stock location is on the rear view mirror. One of the guys was able to get it done be tapping into two of the wires the Video signal and the ground. He also tapped into the reverse wire in order to be able to display the camera at any time.

Next step for me is to locate the wiring diagram of the small info display on the dash of our Sienna's.

Odyssey Post about the modification:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/11-au...kup-camera-image-aftermarket-nav-display.html

·
Registered
65 Posts
GOOD NEWS!!!

After a little more research on the topic I found that some guys over the Odyssey forum were looking into displaying their OEM rear view camera into their aftermarket NAV's, since theirs stock location is on the rear view mirror. One of the guys was able to get it done be tapping into two of the wires the Video signal and the ground. He also tapped into the reverse wire in order to be able to display the camera at any time.

Next step for me is to locate the wiring diagram of the small info display on the dash of our Sienna's.

Odyssey Post about the modification:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/11-au...kup-camera-image-aftermarket-nav-display.html

That's awesome. It can be done, I want to switch to the larger screen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was able to figure out the wiring on the 2011 Sienna (with the help of this thread!). Here's what worked on my wife's LE:
Pin #3: Reverse Trigger
Pin #14: Video +
Pin #15: Video -

You may want to confirm.

If interested, I can send a picture of the pin-out (from TIS) of the connector that plugs into the multi-display. The color of the wires are:
Pin #3: Black
Pin #14: Black w/Silver Dot
Pin #15: White

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was able to figure out the wiring on the 2011 Sienna (with the help of this thread!). Here's what worked on my wife's LE:
Pin #3: Reverse Trigger
Pin #14: Video +
Pin #15: Video -

You may want to confirm.

If interested, I can send a picture of the pin-out (from TIS) of the connector that plugs into the multi-display. The color of the wires are:
Pin #3: Black
Pin #14: Black w/Silver Dot
Pin #15: White
Hi ldc550,

Could you please post the pictures for the harness? Want to find a pair to make a adapter without change OEM cable...

TIA!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was going to post some pictures, but it says I cannot post attachments. Not sure why, but in any case, I created a public album with 3 photos. I'm a lousy photographer, using a mediocre camera, with flash because it was dark. So with those disclaimers, here goes:
http://[IMG]http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=181&pictureid=551[/IMG]
Hi randomone,

I just got a 2011 XLE model without GPS/DVD installed, also bought a aftermarket unit for non-JBL sound system...

Wondering where did you installed the GPS antenna for your unit? Can it stay under the console panel, or has to install outside of the car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi ldc550,

Could you please post the pictures for the harness? Want to find a pair to make a adapter without change OEM cable...

TIA!
freesat,

Not sure if you can find the both connectors (harness and TFT display). It's hard for me to get a good shot of the harness as it's a pretty tight fit. I ended up using t-taps for the 3 wires that are used to display the back-up camera onto my alpine HU.

Regarding the NAV antenna, I just used double back tape and placed it next to the TFT display.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157627116474607/

lcd550

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma
60 Posts
I am interested in hooking up the factory camera to my avic z130bt but the only wire it has for the backup camera is a single rca cable. Anyone know if I could cut the end off of an old rca cable and solder it to the + and - wires listed above and then plug it into my radio??

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am interested in hooking up the factory camera to my avic z130bt but the only wire it has for the backup camera is a single rca cable. Anyone know if I could cut the end off of an old rca cable and solder it to the + and - wires listed above and then plug it into my radio??
I did exactly what you described above to hook up the backup camera to my Alpine HU.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi lcd550,

Thanks for the reply, I found one picture from Internet that someone was working on the Sienna and took out the info LCD and head unit:

Does that info LCD harness looks like the one showing on the picture around the empty LDC info slot?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma
60 Posts
lcd550,

I thought you said it was a 3 wire hookup for your alpine? I am not 100% sure but don't rca cables only have 2 wires? Was your 3rd wire the reverse trigger wire or something? Like I said, I am not 100% sure on any of this so any info you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi lcd550,

Thanks for the reply, I found one picture from Internet that someone was working on the Sienna and took out the info LCD and head unit:

Does that info LCD harness looks like the one showing on the picture around the empty LDC info slot?

Thanks!
The harness for the multi-function (aka TFT) display is right behind the display itself and is relatively short. I'll send you a PM of the connector diagram from TIS website.

·
Registered
19 Posts
lcd550,

I thought you said it was a 3 wire hookup for your alpine? I am not 100% sure but don't rca cables only have 2 wires? Was your 3rd wire the reverse trigger wire or something? Like I said, I am not 100% sure on any of this so any info you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks!
The hookup is a 3 wire to the Alpine. The RCA is a 2 wire, where V+ is the center conductor, shield is V-. I ran a separate wire for the reverse trigger (using the mating connector) to hook into the Alpine HU. I used t-taps for the 3 wires coming from the factory display.

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma
60 Posts
That is kind of what I figured. I taped into the factory wiring there at the LCD to get the reverse trigger for my Pioneer. I looked at an old rca wire. I saw a thin copper wire and then a white sheathed wire. I assume the white sheathed wire is going to be the - on the rca?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is kind of what I figured. I taped into the factory wiring there at the LCD to get the reverse trigger for my Pioneer. I looked at an old rca wire. I saw a thin copper wire and then a white sheathed wire. I assume the white sheathed wire is going to be the - on the rca?

Thanks!
That is correct :thumbsup: ! I stripped back a fair amount of the sheath/shield of the wire, twisted it together, and soldered it before tapping this wire to the V- of the display.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts