Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this kit from the same guy in this video
. They are from Hong Kong and cost me $475. Took me about 4 hours. The hardest part was running the cables. All of the plugs only fit into one port so you can't mess up there. I am having an issue where I am not able to open/close the liftgate via the remote. I am currently working with the vendor to resolve it. The issue could be that my HL build is August 2016 and they may have to update their canbus. Besides that it works great. Here is pic of the wiring.

Attachments

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,828 Posts
wow, I have seen that guys video. Very good source for this. I wonder what made you feel the need to install one? With the push of the release button the hatch opens up effortlessly pretty much alone. But of course many reason one can have to need it.

I hope the venodr, or someone here can chime in. You can also contact the Youtube guy and see if he knows if the canbus even in the Rav4 was changed out?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, I have seen that guys video. Very good source for this. I wonder what made you feel the need to install one? With the push of the release button the hatch opens up effortlessly pretty much alone. But of course many reason one can have to need it.

I hope the venodr, or someone here can chime in. You can also contact the Youtube guy and see if he knows if the canbus even in the Rav4 was changed out?
The reason for the kit is because the car is for my wife and she is pregnant. It's somewhat difficult for her to close it manually. I will PM you the vendor's email.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,828 Posts
That makes sense. Thanks for the email. If I keep the car into my 70's which will be around ~30 years, I may need it ;-)
When the car was new it was actually pretty stiff, but after some months of outdoors and use it got smooth and with little effort. Opening is automatic, closing when new needed effort.
Ya, it will be much easier for your pregnant wife. Congratulations on that, and hope you get that remote issue resolved.

I don't understand how the power of a remote receiver operates in relation to canbus.
But since you are using a Aftermarket remote made for the lift release (OEM LE just has Lock/Unlock/Panic remote keys) I can't see why it doesn't work regardless of the car model year.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense. Thanks for the email. If I keep the car into my 70's which will be around ~30 years, I may need it ;-)
When the car was new it was actually pretty stiff, but after some months of outdoors and use it got smooth and with little effort. Opening is automatic, closing when new needed effort.
Ya, it will be much easier for your pregnant wife. Congratulations on that, and hope you get that remote issue resolved.

I don't understand how the power of a remote receiver operates in relation to canbus.
But since you are using a Aftermarket remote made for the lift release (OEM LE just has Lock/Unlock/Panic remote keys) I can't see why it doesn't work regardless of the car model year.
Thanks. I will say the quality of the kit is top notch. Even the brain controller module screws on perfectly on the liftgate. I even ran the wires inside the grommet from the car body to the liftgate so there are no wires exposed.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,828 Posts
Its nice to hear.....
and as a bonus, your lift gate will open/close much faster than OEM.
For under $500, that would be worth doing when in need. I would think about the long life of the springs. Perhaps see how much replacements are, and if its a generic part from other MFGs in case these guys are not around, and you want to keep the car for a long time.
Do they offer any warranty for the parts?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Man that thing slams hard when it shuts in that video...
wow that's cool, would love to add that to our Mazda CX-5, actually. Wouldn't spend the money on it right now, though.

It doesn't look like it slams very hard at all. I think it's just making a rattling sound from the license plate or plate frame area.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,828 Posts
Ya, that Mic is supersensitive, and sounds louder than it should, but that plate as mentioned makes the sound. If you listen to the front door at 26:26 of the front door, even further from cam sounds like a slam. You can place some rubber butyl under the plate to minimize that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya, that Mic is supersensitive, and sounds louder than it should, but that plate as mentioned makes the sound. If you listen to the front door at 26:26 of the front door, even further from cam sounds like a slam. You can place some rubber butyl under the plate to minimize that.
The mic is very loud so I place some tape over it and it's perfect. You also have the option of not plugging in the mic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Url to site

Can someone provide the website that sells the power lift gate kit?

My power lift gate actuators (Toyota calls them "spindles") are starting to act up and not close properly and I'm out of warranty. They're very expensive even on eBay. I wonder if they are compatible with whatever controller is already installed on models that came with power lift gates.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,828 Posts
Expect them to be about $400 and they are found on such sites. You can message the guy in the YouTube video that does the install on the Rav4. he is helpful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I contacted the guy from the video and he states that their power strut is not compatible with the Toyota OEM wiring controller. In other words, you have to use their entire kit. So this is not a cjeaper option for owners needing just power struts replacement. The are $500 for each strut alone on eBay.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,828 Posts
So each OEM strut is $500 to replace.
Your next option is to try a dismantling yard. And cross your fingers those are ok.

The aftermarket kit including wiring and both struts(which are supposed to be better quality than the oem with faster operation) should be about $400-600

·
Registered
39 Posts
I contacted an online salvage yard then had a Highlander. The owner states that the Highlander he had in his junk yard has blindspot monitoring which has a different power strut than those without (mines does not have blindspot monitoring). I found it a little odd that it would be different between models but am not knowledgeable enough. The site also contained images of the salvaged Highlander and it looks to be in an offset head-on collision on the driver side so the condition of the struts are questionable.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts