Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket radio that will fit a 2012 Base model Highlander, that has a backup camera compatibility? I currently have the OEM standard radio with no screen, and not certain if they even make one. I realize adding a camera would need to be added as well, and not sure if that is even possible or cost effective. If so, and if anyone has done this, could you share your experience please?
Thanks much

·
2012 Kluger (Japan) 3.5V6
2012 Oz Kluger (jap)
39 Posts
Recently installed on in my 2012 base model see link below to the one I got.
It fits the 2 din hole where the oem radio fits perfectly.
When purchasing let them know the exact details of the car it will be fitted to and they include the correct wiring harness for it.
Build quality and performance is far better than I expected. It is just like a smart phone but much more responsive.
Screen is bright and sharp and the audio is equal to the oem unit. Steering wheel controls are perfect, you assign whatever function you want to have via the radio setup screen.
Reverse camera... You can connect a reverse camera to it and with an adapter it will also handle the existing unit if fitted. I fitted a camera to a 2007 Camry and it was relatively easy... i sourced power from one of the reversing light wires, found an easy earth point in the rear and ran the camera data cable under the carpets after unscrewing the door scuff plates. My base 2012 has the small seperate screen for the reverse cam so i didn't bother wiring it into the new unit.
Installation is straight forward, but take your time and cover your console area to prevent scratches. There are plenty of how to's on youtube.
Joying are excellent with after sales support.
https://www.carjoying.com/head-unit...tem-plug-and-play-car-stereo-in-dash-car.html

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yup,....quite possible.

After a year or so I replaced the basic radio my 2008 that came with it simply because it had no high tones. I also replaced all six of the basic speakers. It lasted six years then died. It had no reverse camera sooooo, third time around I went to Best Buy and picked a Kenwood DDX372BT with a camera. I think it ran about $300 and I decided, since it was a bit more complex in terms of wiring and running the wire to the rear for the camera, that I'd just pay a local top shop who install really high end stuff, to do it right, the install ran around $300.

I've noticed that in bright sunlight a lot of cars have screens that are hard to see, especially if the interior of a car has light colored seats that reflect on the screen. Best to read reviews on Amazon to see what people think of various units. Also, this site has some really good stuff, with good pix, of how to do the install if you're going to do it yourself.

Good luck and be sure to read all the reviews you can find on whatever unit you go with.

·
Resident Nutcase
11,819 Posts
99.9% of double din units with a screen have reverse camera cabaility. And they will all fit in the HL given you get a mounting kit. Then there are all of the aftermarket OEM look-a-likes that'll work. I have the highlander specific car joying one. Just know that the reverse camera power supply is 6V. If you re-route the OEM camera to an aftermarket system, make sure to power it correctly. If you send it 12V, you'll regret it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.