Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Has anyone installed aftermarket speakers on the doors? I am planning to upgrade but have not been able to find spacers/adapters that fit flush with the new 2018 models.

I see a lot of people make them out of MDF but i know wood rots over time.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Something that won't be crazy expensive or required heavy modification?

thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello,

Has anyone installed aftermarket speakers on the doors? I am planning to upgrade but have not been able to find spacers/adapters that fit flush with the new 2018 models.

I see a lot of people make them out of MDF but i know wood rots over time.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Something that won't be crazy expensive or required heavy modification?

thanks!
The speakers aren't default size? such as these?
‎4" Car Speakers · ‎6.5" Car Speakers · ‎5.25" Car Speakers · ‎3.5" Car Speakers

Yeah so far very little accessories for this car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey quick question . I want to add a sub and an amp to my 18 Camry do I have to by pass anything I also have t-taps and and adapter to convert to RCA but need some guidance

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Spacers/adapters should be similar to other Toyotas.

Door speakers will be 6.5-6.75" rounds. If Toyota is using the normal oval hole with 4 screw tabs, then maybe a 6x9 can fit in the front door. And, the rear doors should be the typical 3 tab ~6.5". Dash would be Toyota's version of the 2.75-3.5" speaker. Try the 2014+ Highlander adapters(which fit many years/models). No deck speakers and fancier models include a tweeter(.5-1.5") in the pillars.

Not sure why the internet consensus is against custom made MDF baffles. I guess the geniuses didn't know that you can simply paint the MDF adapters once your done making them. I've never had an MDF or wood adapter rot.

Give metra/crutchfield/americaninternational/scosche/tacotunes a few months to update their catalogs.

https://store.audiodesignscg.com/product/2018-2020-toyota-camry-speaker-adapters/

To tap the wiring harness for the subwoofer, one would need to read the electrical diagrams in the factory service manual. And, you don't need RCA's if your powered sub or amplifier have speaker-level inputs so that you can simply tap the signal from the door speakers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I put some kicker 3.5" speakers in the dash and am installing a sub tomorrow. There is no need to replace the door speakers. You'll actually lose mid range. The dash speakers are where you'll hear the most different as they have no tweeter.... they're a paper cone with bass blockers from the factory. To tap in that RCA adapter I can give you the pin out after I finish my sub install tomorrow or Thursday depending on what I run into.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I put some kicker 3.5" speakers in the dash and am installing a sub tomorrow. There is no need to replace the door speakers. You'll actually lose mid range. The dash speakers are where you'll hear the most different as they have no tweeter.... they're a paper cone with bass blockers from the factory. To tap in that RCA adapter I can give you the pin out after I finish my sub install tomorrow or Thursday depending on what I run into.
Great info there. I was thinking about swapping the doors, but also thought they didn't really sound that bad. So I could replace the dash speakers with 3.5s and do you just use the existing wiring to connect or do you have to tap anything else?

Is it just a straight swap? No need for any type of amp to power them any differently than the factory speakers? Would be nice just to get some Kickers or whatever for like $40 and swap them out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Great info there. I was thinking about swapping the doors, but also thought they didn't really sound that bad. So I could replace the dash speakers with 3.5s and do you just use the existing wiring to connect or do you have to tap anything else?

Is it just a straight swap? No need for any type of amp to power them any differently than the factory speakers? Would be nice just to get some Kickers or whatever for like $40 and swap them out.
Good questions, I want to know the answer too.

Would these Kickers KS3.5 work?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker-ks-series-3-1-2-2-way-car-speakers-with-polypropylene-cones-pair-black/5760918.p?skuId=5760918

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Toyota Camry SE
383 Posts
After I added my sub, I found it not necessary to replace the door speakers. The sound is pretty good overall! But, if you should want to these are the adapters that come with the speakers on Crutchfield if you use that option.

Front Door: Scosche SAT69 Brackets

Rear Door: Metra 82-8148 Brackets

·
Registered
41 Posts
No amp needed, and any 3.5 speaker should work.

I ended up splicing (using wire taps) the stock wiring (which is aluminium) using the harness in the link below to get the pin out. Don't be a me. Buy the harness it will make your life so much easier. Because of the placement of the dash speakers, and the swept back windshield it took me about an hour but would have only taken 20 minutes had I bought some of these:

https://tacotunes.com/shop/toyota-camry/plug-play-wire-harnesses-toyota-camry/2012-2018-toyota-camry-tweeter-wire-harness-adapters/

Crutchfield does not have the dash speaker wire adapters just the doors. As for the grills to the speakers; to access them they just pop off. I used a cheap $5 interior pry kit I found on Amazon and had no issues with the grills, pry up from the front middle and they pop up. The stock dash speakers have 4 wires to each speaker because they run in a series to the front door speakers as well, if anyone was wondering why the harnesses have more wires than normal, that's the reason. The factory speakers are 4ohm.

·
Registered
196 Posts
No amp needed, and any 3.5 speaker should work.

I ended up splicing (using wire taps) the stock wiring (which is aluminium) using the harness in the link below to get the pin out. Don't be a me. Buy the harness it will make your life so much easier. Because of the placement of the dash speakers, and the swept back windshield it took me about an hour but would have only taken 20 minutes had I bought some of these:

https://tacotunes.com/shop/toyota-camry/plug-play-wire-harnesses-toyota-camry/2012-2018-toyota-camry-tweeter-wire-harness-adapters/

Crutchfield does not have the dash speaker wire adapters just the doors. As for the grills to the speakers; to access them they just pop off. I used a cheap $5 interior pry kit I found on Amazon and had no issues with the grills, pry up from the front middle and they pop up. The stock dash speakers have 4 wires to each speaker because they run in a series to the front door speakers as well, if anyone was wondering why the harnesses have more wires than normal, that's the reason. The factory speakers are 4ohm.

You lost me on that adapter. I had figured whatever wiring was going to the dash speakers I could just use on replacement speakers. I'm not sure how or where that harness would play into things at this point.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The factory speakers in the dash have 4 wires running to them: 2 positive, 2 negative. Rather than cutting the factory harness that plugs into the speakers you would buy this harness, connect both positive wires to the positive post on your new speaker, and both negative wires to the negative post. Then you just plug this harness into the factory harness in the dash. Very easy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The factory speakers in the dash have 4 wires running to them: 2 positive, 2 negative. Rather than cutting the factory harness that plugs into the speakers you would buy this harness, connect both positive wires to the positive post on your new speaker, and both negative wires to the negative post. Then you just plug this harness into the factory harness in the dash. Very easy.
So essentially,
if I buy these front Dash speakers: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206KSC3504/Kicker-44KSC3504.html?tp=105
and this Tweeter wire harness: https://tacotunes.com/shop/toyota-camry/plug-play-wire-harnesses-toyota-camry/2012-2018-toyota-camry-tweeter-wire-harness-adapters/

I basically take the harness plug it into the factory wire harness and the other end into the upgraded dash speaker correct?

Did you ever get the manual from crutch field? Can you upload that?

·
Registered
41 Posts
So essentially,
if I buy these front Dash speakers: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206KSC3504/Kicker-44KSC3504.html?tp=105
and this Tweeter wire harness: https://tacotunes.com/shop/toyota-camry/plug-play-wire-harnesses-toyota-camry/2012-2018-toyota-camry-tweeter-wire-harness-adapters/

I basically take the harness plug it into the factory wire harness and the other end into the upgraded dash speaker correct?

Did you ever get the manual from crutch field? Can you upload that?

Essentially, yes.

What manual are you referring to? All they sent me was the speakers.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Essentially, yes.

What manual are you referring to? All they sent me was the speakers.

Got it! I purchased the Harness from taco tunes and some Kickers 3.5". Hopefully, I can take some pics along the way.

Usually, with crutch field with any order of speakers they send a instruction manual for the Camry. Was wondering if they sent that to you via paper or .pdf.

·
Registered
120 Posts
So I finally got time to install the dash speakers yesterday. It was pretty easy and took about 15-20 minutes. It was basically a plug and play. The tools I used were: dash pry tool, 10mm deep socket ratchet, electric tape. Removing the driver side speaker was a little tough only because the windshield is slanted and the angle is tough to work with but doable. I purchased the Kicker 44KSC3504 , and taco tunes' harness. And that's all you really need. Pretty much remove the old speaker, plug in the harness, connect the new speaker and that's it. Sounds much much better!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 70 Posts